The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-18-2017, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing a new range of eKoa guitars. For me it is a promising material.

Now, I'm going to join the EvanBandwagon and hope there will be an eKoa crossover nylon string in the future. As I'm officially moving in the that direction.
I looked at the specs of your new crossover, and it's the closest thing to perfect that I have seen so far. I've been playing nylon exclusively for the past two years, and I'm never going back. As a lead electric guitarist, I'm accustomed to playing faster than I can think, and I know that speed comes from relaxation. A properly set up nylon guitar with a 48mm nut width is so easy to play, relaxation is literally effortless. After one year of acclimating to my current crossover, I can play faster, more accurately, and can elicit more tonal variations than I was able to achieve after decades of playing steel strings. I'm almost ready to make a youtube video demonstrating the relevance of nylon crossovers to electric guitarists.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
When I tested the El Capitan against a dozen similarly sized guitars in the store, the closest in tone was the Collings MJ, which is about the same size and feel as well. I will need to play the Savoy in a quiet room alongside some other guitars to see where it falls tonally, but I don't expect it to sound much like a Taylor. We'll find out soon enough.
Can't wait to hear your thoughts. I love the design, but so far the the tone of the Savoy in the videos I've heard sounds mostly appropriate for blues and ragtime, and I'm hoping to hear your opinion in how it will work for the Celtic, acoustic jazz and modern fingerstyle arrangements I play. I'd also like to know how it performs in dropped tunings.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2 View Post
I looked at the specs of your new crossover, and it's the closest thing to perfect that I have seen so far. I've been playing nylon exclusively for the past two years, and I'm never going back. As a lead electric guitarist, I'm accustomed to playing faster than I can think, and I know that speed comes from relaxation. A properly set up nylon guitar with a 48mm nut width is so easy to play, relaxation is literally effortless. After one year of acclimating to my current crossover, I can play faster, more accurately, and can elicit more tonal variations than I was able to achieve after decades of playing steel strings. I'm almost ready to make a youtube video demonstrating the relevance of nylon crossovers to electric guitarists.
Tom, we are in complete agreement. Crossovers are fantastic instruments.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-19-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdog49 View Post
Can't wait to hear your thoughts..
Same here. Been a long wait.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber