The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-27-2017, 05:34 PM

Default Pickup Control Buzz

I have an older CA X player. Pre Peavey.

Anyway the controls Dials on the pickup buzz something fierce at times. To the point where to me it sounds likes it distorting the sound. At times you can hear it on recordings and what not as well. The pickup itself sounds really good so I would prefer not to have to replace it.

Any of you know a good way to shim or brace those knobs to stop the buzz?

If nothing else I can replace the pickup it came with using a K&K Fantastix that is currently in my Ovation. Would rather use the Classic that is in my Schecter but those can't be re-used unfortunately.

I have tried tape but it doesn't hold and also makes using the dials more difficult.

Thanks,

Old 01-27-2017, 06:35 PM

Fixing buzzes can be tough, because they are usually intermittent. I might try something like some double-stick or foam tape under the knobs. Pull the knobs off and put a small piece of foam tape (the kind used to stick posters on walls) underneath, then reinstall the knobs. Use something similar to wrap wiring that might be touching something else and buzzing.

I once took a small chunk of foam rubber, cut a slot in it and slipped the wire into the slot. Then using double sided tape, I stuck that foam block onto the inside of the guitar. My Fishman barn door electronics in the side of my Rainsong buzz sometimes, which I mostly notice when recording with a microphone. I often just swing the door open so the trim ring is not sitting loosely against the edge of the hole.

Your second photo shows quite the clump of excess wiring below the thumbwheels. That would be my first suspect. Maybe some extra tie-wraps, heat shrink, or rubber tape (Tommy Tape or similar).
Old 01-27-2017, 07:10 PM
Guest 928

Felt washers may help. that's just a guess.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post

Your second photo shows quite the clump of excess wiring below the thumbwheels. That would be my first suspect. Maybe some extra tie-wraps, heat shrink, or rubber tape (Tommy Tape or similar).

The wires are all secured. That entire front the wires are on is sticky. I spent some time securing the wires down. I am 99% sure the buzz is the dials themselves. Plus that picture was taken before I put the over wrap back in place

I can hit the strings and start the buzz and then place a finger on the dials and it stops or have my fiance place her finger on the dials and it won't buzz at all while playing.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:37 PM

Well that is the definitive smoking gun -- no question it is the volume and tone control buttons. If you can remove the control unit from the inside of the top, try inserting some thin felt between the dials and their circuit board to take out any play. It might also be possible to isolate the entire assembly from the body using some soft foam rubber and double-stick tape. Tape the foam to the top, then tape the controls to the foam block. If the top vibration cannot get into the control unit, it will be less likely to buzz. The real answer may be a combination of both. Just brainstorming here, but a few wraps of dental floss around the center post of the knobs might also take up the slack and prevent the buzz.

Or maybe just bypass the on-board control entirely by removing it, and use an LR Baggs outboard DI or similar.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post

Or maybe just bypass the on-board control entirely by removing it, and use an LR Baggs outboard DI or similar.

I have a passive K&K Fantatix I can put it in if I can't solve the issue. Then run out to my digitech and then into my amp. But I do like the sound of this one so hopefully can find a solution.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:42 PM

I was deliberately vague because I don't know what pickup is currently in your CA guitar. You might be able to bypass it easily. Or not.

But try the dental floss trick first - I've solved several annoying buzzes with a few turns of floss around the shafts of switches and pot's, just to build up some mechanical resistance to movement. The wide tape style floss works better.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:50 PM

I believe its the Baggs active element
Old 03-09-2017, 05:43 PM

The saga continues. I removed the pickup controls and the buzz was still there. Pressing the body above the soundhole from about halfway up the soundhole forward stops the buzz.

not sure this is something that can be fixed? padded? braced?
Old 03-27-2017, 04:50 PM

Not that many care but I did finally track down and fix the body buzz issue.

Discovered there was not one but TWO loose braces near the top of the sound hole. After calling CA and being told "We do not do ANY repairs on pre Peavey models. I did at least get some advice of go get some epoxy and some clamps.

So I looked up re-glueing braces. Went and got soem two part epoxy and a couple clamps and went about attempting to secure the braces.

I am happy to report I was successful. After cleaning, gluing, and leaving clamped for 24 hours the body buzz is gone!!! HUZZAH!!!

Now to figure out the best way to raise the action on this just slightly to get rid of the last bit of fret buzz when I play hard.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:26 PM

Loose braces - not what we expected to hear. Glad you found it. And thanks for closing the loop.

Raising the action is probably just a matter of a new higher saddle - or maybe a hard shim underneath the existing one.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:31 PM
Guest 928

Cheek;

Good on you! You came, you saw, you conquered. It doesn't get any better than that. And like Earl said, a hard shim will do you.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:30 PM

yea I am looking into getting one of the ebony shims. I asked CA via email if they sold replacement saddles but I have not received an answer.

I have two fret buzzes. The G string seems to be buzzing at the first fret so may end up just having to live with that one. and the D string has a buzz down about 5 or 6.

I have a heavy hand(comes from playing outside with no amplification ) so raising the action just a hair should fix that right up.

But soo glad my acoustic guitar no longer sounds like it has an overdrive pedal going haha
Old 03-28-2017, 08:06 PM

Hi All,

I happen to have three original uncut pre-Peavey CA saddles in my parts bin which I will never have any use for (famous last words) as I am now a RainSong fanboy. PM me your US Mail addresses and I'll send them too you.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-29-2017, 04:43 PM

Will do that now. Thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber