The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-29-2016, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD. Yes, I Am Downsizing

Yes, I am downsizing but this one has been in the picture for a month. I had over 50 guitars as of this summer and at my age, it is time to start downsizing. I am down 5 so far with 4 more currently up for sale. My goal is to get below 30.

I first saw this one about 6 weeks ago and it was one that I couldn't forget. I would first like to talk about the builder. He is Ron Tracy who has been Charlie Hoffman's lead repair guy, working at Hoffman's shop in Minneapolis for 36 years. He is a fine luthier in his own right and a friendly, approachable person who spent time answering my questions.

The guitar is a Telecaster type called a Ron Tracy T92, which is 92 % the size of a Telecaster. It is a 24 3/4 scale neck with a 1 3/4 nut width. A cedar topped, bound Alder body with an Ebony fretboard with stainless steel frets. It is lightweight at 6 Lbs 1oz and with SD pickups, Stk 1 neck, Stk4 middle and Stk 3 bridge. With a push - pull volume control is is truly a Tele on steroids.

The difficult part of downsizing is which ones leave. This one is a keeper.

-- Darwin

Old 12-30-2016, 07:29 AM

Darwin, only on the AGF could one be in a downsizing mode and pick up such a beautiful guitar! . Seriously, congrats.

How are you going to sell most of your guitars? In classifieds / craig's list or by friends/word of mouth?
Old 12-30-2016, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Dru and good question. I have sold the 2 recent ones on consignment at a Boutique shop that attracts higher end customers. These 2 went very well and I have 4 more with this shop. For a consignment fee of 15% they professionally photograph, advertise locally, list on Craigs list and Reverb, and post photos on instagram and their own facebook page. He is also very good at describing the product. They ship if necessary and I do not have to do anything. This makes it worthwhile to me as I do not want to sell and/or ship from home.

This is the same shop where I purchased the Ron Tracy. If you are interested in looking at the marketing they do, here is a link to their site. I currently have 2 Fenders and 2 G&Ls listed. There facebook page is especially fun to view.

Here is the link but you can also do a search on El Diablo Amps. --Darwin

http://www.eldiabloamps.com/
Old 12-30-2016, 11:29 AM

absolutely stellar looking and i bet great playing.

question: what is that streak on the back of the neck?

edit: must be from a light as i don't see it in the other picture.

the gold strat is great looking too!!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics

Last edited by muscmp; 12-30-2016 at 11:31 AM. Reason: streak
Old 12-30-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Thanks Dru and good question. I have sold the 2 recent ones on consignment at a Boutique shop that attracts higher end customers. These 2 went very well and I have 4 more with this shop. For a consignment fee of 15% they professionally photograph, advertise locally, list on Craigs list and Reverb, and post photos on instagram and their own facebook page. He is also very good at describing the product. They ship if necessary and I do not have to do anything. This makes it worthwhile to me as I do not want to sell and/or ship from home.

This is the same shop where I purchased the Ron Tracy. If you are interested in looking at the marketing they do, here is a link to their site. I currently have 2 Fenders and 2 G&Ls listed. There facebook page is especially fun to view.

Here is the link but you can also do a search on El Diablo Amps. --Darwin

http://www.eldiabloamps.com/
Sounds like the consignment option is working well for you and it's hassle free. Good luck!
Old 12-30-2016, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

muscmp, thanks and that is a light reflection. The picture of the front shows what looks like a scratch just below the inside of control plate that is a kitty hair. I do like the Gold Strat! -- Darwin
Old 12-31-2016, 12:31 AM
Charter Member

Hi Darwin - why 92%? It looks great, I'm just curious why the whole guitar is scaled down. Thanks
Old 12-31-2016, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Growler, I have no idea why is is smaller. I do not notice the size difference and it fits very well and it is very well balanced . Next time I see Ron I will ask him why he chose 92 %. -- Darwin

Growler, I added a photo showing relative sizes of some T Types

Top Row L to R, Don Grosh, Ron Tracey and Tom Anderson Shorty
Bottom Row, Suhr, G&L Asat Z3, G&L Bluesboy

Last edited by Darwin; 12-31-2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Added Photo Showing Relative Size
Old 12-31-2016, 03:42 PM

Gorgeous! Love that cedar top finish, and pickup combo.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:23 AM
Charter Member

Some very nice looking Tele style guitars ther Darwin. Looking forward to what Ron says. Thanks and happy new year!
Old 01-01-2017, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all. I am calling Ron on Tuesday and we will see what he says. -- Darwin
Old 01-01-2017, 09:34 AM

Very nice score! Wish my B-Bender Tele were that light. I think mine must be in the 9-10 pound range. Much of that is due to all the added metal parts of the B-Bender. My builder was unwilling to use light ash on the body since his pin router sometimes splinters light ash and there was a heck of a lot of routing.

Do you use 7 way wiring on your Nashville Tele-styles?
Old 01-01-2017, 11:45 AM
Charter Member

s2y, I had a Fender B-bender and it was heavy. I really enjoyed it but eventually sold it due to weight. -- Darwin
Old 01-02-2017, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Growler, I did get an answer from Ron. He likes the Gibson scale and the Tele body. He was on the road quite a bit in the early 90's and built a prototype 92 % sized body so the look would be "true" Tele and not a Tele with a shorter neck. He loved it, especially the reduction in weight and size, started building them and has done quite a few since. Mine is # 25. -- Darwin
Old 01-02-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
s2y, I had a Fender B-bender and it was heavy. I really enjoyed it but eventually sold it due to weight. -- Darwin
I don't enjoy the weight or the shorter top horn of a Tele (vs. a Strat), but that B-Bender adds such a cool dynamic to the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars