The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 PM

Default It's not the Arrow it's the Indian

http://youtu.be/tEHnMuq8F-0
Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 AM

Assuming you're listening with good quality monitoring gear, I think you'd definitely notice a difference between the Apogee One and a high-end recording chain.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Assuming you're listening with good quality monitoring gear, I think you'd definitely notice a difference between the Apogee One and a high-end recording chain.
Moon, I "think" the point was talent trumps equipment although I might have misinterpreted.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Moon, I "think" the point was talent trumps equipment although I might have misinterpreted.
If the point is that talent trumps equipment, look up a file of the dreamy "Theme from Boat Weirdos" from Joe Walsh's But Seriously Folks album. It is HERE on YouTube. Recorded with a four track recorder on the 72' sailing yacht the Endless Seas while anchored in the Gulf of Mexico. The musician's and producer/engineer Bill Szymczyk's talents completely overwhelm the modesty of the gear and location.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 PM

I can only speak for myself in saying I've spent some time and cash on mics, preamps, bass traps etc. and this clip just sounds good.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:52 AM
Charter Member

Whatever captivates due to the music and performance can be elevated even further with a dynamite recording.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-05-2013, 10:54 AM

Here is a link to another "live in the studio" Tommy clip. Including converter and pre's it's a very least a $16,000.00 upgrade in equipment. (the wildcard is we don't know what converters and mic pre's are being used in the 2nd vid but I'll assign 10 grand in mics, 3 grand in pre's and 3 grand in converter) In the second vid they have indeed captured a tad more "body" and a tad less high end and less room noise. But all things considered I could listen to either clip and get the exact same emotional response without ever giving a nano second thought to the quality of equipment or recording.

In the end I'd argue the room made much more of a difference than the equipment between these two clips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33tWZqXhnk
Old 01-05-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Whatever captivates due to the music and performance can be elevated even further with a dynamite recording.

I totally agree with the above statement. I think a lot of us here are trying to make the best recordings we can and are willing to invest in great gear ie high end guitars, pres, mics converters, acoustic treatments.

There are also times when I just want to "plug and play" in both the live and recording situations, kinda keep the creative music flow going, not get bogged down in the technical aspects of gear if you will. We all have priorities, lately mine are to practice/play a little more, turn less knobs. It ebbs and flows. In a couple months I'll probably want to learn how to set up a decca tree. This video just got me thinking.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashaw View Post
I totally agree with the above statement. I think a lot of us here are trying to make the best recordings we can and are willing to invest in great gear ie high end guitars, pres, mics converters, acoustic treatments.
Then I'd submit to you again...does this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33tWZqXhnk recording (which represents a Titanic leap in cost of equipment..gotta be 16 grand or more) trump this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEHnM...ature=youtu.be which is $249.00?

Make no mistake I live in a world of high-end of high-end equipment. In the end however nothing matters (within reason of course) except the artist. The rest will fall into place with or without holy grail perceived pre-amp.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Then I'd submit to you again...does this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S33tWZqXhnk recording (which represents a Titanic leap in cost of equipment..gotta be 16 grand or more) trump this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEHnM...ature=youtu.be which is $249.00?

Make no mistake I live in a world of high-end of high-end equipment. In the end however nothing matters (within reason of course) except the artist. The rest will fall into place with or without holy grail perceived pre-amp.
I think we agree?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:51 AM

http://youtu.be/x52x5hjpD5k

It's easy for me to listen to this music without focusing on the recording.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:53 AM

It kind of depends what angle you're coming at this question from. Musicians should be on an endless quest for better tone: practicing technique, looking for the best instruments and also the best recording chains to capture a performance.

However, it's also very true that you can communicate great music without necessarily having the best of everything. When it comes time to perform, you have to forget all the technical stuff and just sing like a bird. Some of that is bound to get through.

Some music doesn't even need expensive gear in the first place - look at Seasick Steve and his diddly bow. Other kinds of music might be much more dependent on finely-nuanced sounds and so quality and precision would matter more. If you're stuck in a medium which only provides 3 shades of grey that will cramp your style if you really need 30.

So I'm kind of on both sides. Quality always matters but, sure, performance usually matters more.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arashaw View Post
I think we agree?
Old 01-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

So you have a very good performance of very nice music but how well it is recorded has nothing to add and therefore is of little or no importance? Too bad for recording engineers and recording studios.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
If the point is that talent trumps equipment, look up a file of the dreamy "Theme from Boat Weirdos" from Joe Walsh's But Seriously Folks album. It is HERE on YouTube. Recorded with a four track recorder on the 72' sailing yacht the Endless Seas while anchored in the Gulf of Mexico. The musician's and producer/engineer Bill Szymczyk's talents completely overwhelm the modesty of the gear and location.

Bob
Oh, sure, now I need a yacht!

Geesh, where does it end??

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD