The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-01-2013, 04:40 PM

Default What else do I need?

So I'm realized that one of the things limiting my ability to put together a decent recording (nothing amazing, just basic vocals-and-acoustic-guitar stuff) is the lack of a decent microphone. So with budget of ballpark $300, I'm hunting around.

It seems like the ADK A6 is really highly recommended - I want something natural. I know everything colors the sound some, and what I read is that the A6 is maybe just a tad on the warm side, which is fine with me.

So I see a kit available at front end audio. $299 gets me the mike, travel case (not really needed, but not a problem). Shock mount. Cable. Pop Screen.

I already have a mobilepre USB to get the signal into my computer via XLR. (It also can provide phantom power).

The question is, what else do I need? I can see myself needing some sort of mike stand - can anybody make an inexpensive recommendation there? (I know little enough about how all these parts fit together to be unsure about what stands will be compatible with the shock mount.

If I get all of this, will there be something else that I'm missing? What else might I want/need?

Thanks!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

The A6 really needs that shockmount (there's no internal shockmount in the mic itself). There's a seller on eBay for the new A6 plus the case, shock mount, regular mount, cable and pop screen for $249. He had 10. He's sold 7. ANy standard mic stand will fit the shock mount. You'll want a mic stand with a boom. There's small, medium and large sizes. Medium should work fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD