The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-18-2010, 01:21 PM

Default Kenny Hill Crossover

There has been so much talk about the Cervantes (a very nice guitar) that I wanted to remind folk that there are other very well thought of crossovers out there including the Hill. As I understand it, the Cervantes has lattice bracing which gives you a different sound than the traditional fan braces on most nylon string guitars. The Hills are the traditional style.

I'm struck that there is a variety of choices in crossovers... By definition a crossover is designed to make a nylon string more attractive to a steel string player. That means building something that sits in between the traditional classical guitars and a traditional steel string. Some like the Hills & the Cervantes are built by companies that specialize in nylon string guitars and come at the task from that direction. Their crossovers are more classical in sound and build and likely in feel. Others like Taylor, Breedlove, & Goodall are primarily steel string builders and come at the task from that direction and their guitars may be more like steel strings than nylons. Any place along that continuum can result in a fine guitar and your or my needs and taste might fit one place better than another.

If this is out of bounds, I apologize in advance and ask the mods to delete... as I do have an agenda...

I have a Kenny Hill New World Crossover for sale in the classifieds...
Kenny Hill Fingerstyle
that's me on guitar
Old 05-18-2010, 07:16 PM

I have heard nothing but great things about the Kenny Hill Crossovers. If I were looking for that traditional classical guitar sound in a crossover guitar, these would definitely be on the top of my list.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical