The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-10-2010, 03:14 PM

Default Cedar vs Spruce on a classical/nylon string guitar...

I'm sure this is an age-old question, but I'm interested in responses as they pertain specifically to Classical/nylon string guitars, not steel. What are your thoughts/preferences? Would your taste be different if the guitar were of the crossover variety?
Old 05-10-2010, 04:18 PM

I don't prefer either over the other. They all have their own sound, and I've heard very mellow spruce tops and very bright cedar tops. The generalizations about the differences between the sound of spruce and cedar are useful, but may not tell you much about any specific instrument. I've owned both, although I only have spruce on the four nylon stringers I have at the moment (by pure happenstance).

My concern for crossover guitars wouldn’t be top material but fretboard width. 46 mm is about the narrowest I'm comfortable with, and I prefer at least 47/48 mm.

Mike

Last edited by jmiked; 05-10-2010 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmiked View Post
The generalizations about the differences between the sound of spruce and cedar are useful, but may not tell you much about any specific instrument.
What Mike said.

I went down to Kenny Hill's shop to buy a guitar thinking I would want a cedar-top. The spruce-top had more of the qualities that I was looking for in a cedar-top. Bought the spruce.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:12 AM

It really varies by the maker of the instrument and the back /side woods that the top will be paired with. If a certain builder is known for having a bright tone, like Taylor & Cervantes, I usually prefer a cedar top. I want a wood combination that gives me complexity and lushness, as well as clarity without scooped mids. I like lively trebles and piano like bass and sustain. A type of balance where one register does not dominate is key.

Another factor to consider is the type of spruce. I don't like sitka on a nylon at all. Englemann and maple are wonderful when paired together. Not at all bright as one would think. It is surprisingly warm and robust with great clarity and focus. But I find that paired with indian rosewood i like it less.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:21 AM

It really depends on the guitar. A few days ago I was at my local music store playing the newly introduced Yamaha CG 162 c cedar top and CG 192 s spruce top, and the spruce one did not sound brighter than the cedar one.
Incidentally, the spruce one had rosewood back and sides (rosewood is known to mellow the tone) and the cedar one had ovankol back and sides (ovankol is brighter than rosewood). Therefore, the balance between the two pair of woods generated a similar tone, not too bright and not too dark.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical