The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-29-2010, 10:06 AM

Default Fun Watching Flying Fingers

I just stumbled onto this guy. Lawson Rollins. He's new to me. Plays sort of the kind of music Incendio, Strunz and Farah or Rodrigo y Gabriella plays. He has a few short videos up that he comments on here, from his website:

"Between the completion of INFINITA and the making of Lawson's follow-up cd ESPIRITO, Lawson recorded two guitar-focused videos that have gone viral on the internet and attracted millions of viewers - "The Fire Cadenza" and "Santa Ana Wind". "The videos were meant to be eye catching and entertaining to watch, but I thought they'd be of interest mostly to fans of highly technical guitar playing," says Lawson. "I never planned to put them on an album; I just wanted to convey the feeling of a certain aspect of my playing." After exceeding 3 million views alone on Youtube, both tracks have been made available for sale as digital-only single downloads and come with a .PDF of guitar tabs for those that want to play along."

Amazing what can be done alternating i and m. Not a new technique, of course, but the way the videos were produced showcases how it's done and watching the fingers fly is great fun. I was reminded of the great videos forum member Marcel Tiemensma has posted here, also very professionally produced and interesting videos, wonderful sound and exquisite technique.

Have fun!

"The Fire Cadenza"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQ9PRzIyzFA

"Santa Ana Wind"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g9HvbKiHNc
Old 04-29-2010, 10:37 AM

Very nice. Very impressive.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 04-29-2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the links. As a result I was able to download a free copy of one of Lawson Rollins' songs from iTunes. It sounds to me that at least three, right-hand fingers are being used for the fast runs maybe even four.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Thanks for the links. As a result I was able to download a free copy of one of Lawson Rollins' songs from iTunes. It sounds to me that at least three, right-hand fingers are being used for the fast runs maybe even four.
Hi Herb,

Could be. It's certainly executed cleanly. I've tried doing that and it's difficult. Even in the places where it's evident he is using just two fingers, I can't imagine getting up to that speed and timing it so it's clean. Very cool to watch. Paco de Lucia is another who is just amazing with those kinds of runs.

Good luck with the tune!
Old 04-29-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
Hi Herb,

Could be. It's certainly executed cleanly. I've tried doing that and it's difficult. Even in the places where it's evident he is using just two fingers, I can't imagine getting up to that speed and timing it so it's clean. Very cool to watch. Paco de Lucia is another who is just amazing with those kinds of runs.

Good luck with the tune!
Here is how to get that speed with four fingers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7jjO5is-nE
Old 04-29-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
Here is how to get that speed with four fingers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7jjO5is-nE
Done! That was easy!

Yes, I can wrap my brain around how to do it, but doing it is another thing. Same for cascading harmonics, the alternating between artificial harmonics and fretted notes, ala Lenny, Chet and Tommy. I see how it's done and know how to do it. It's the doing of it that takes all the practice.

Always something to aspire to. Cool!

Clearly, Lawson isn't bring his thumb into play in those fast runs. It's either i and m or i, m and a, in some order. He plays a lot.

Last edited by David Hilyard; 04-29-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2010, 05:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
Done! That was easy!

Yes, I can wrap my brain around how to do it, but doing it is another thing.
My sentiments exactly.
Playing a little more nylon recently, and bringing my old "Aguado" studies out of retirement, I've noticed that I had let my nails grow a little too long. It works for steel string, since there isn't much downward pushing of the string, but with nylon strings a little too much nail is not a good thing, at least on the i-m-a fingers.
Do you find the same thing?
It's a fine balance, but I find it's possible to get it right for both mediums, i.e. long enough nail to engage the steel strings, but not so long that it catches the nylon.
Makes for more frequent nail filing and shaping to keep that ideal length and shape just right.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 04-30-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
My sentiments exactly.
Playing a little more nylon recently, and bringing my old "Aguado" studies out of retirement, I've noticed that I had let my nails grow a little too long. It works for steel string, since there isn't much downward pushing of the string, but with nylon strings a little too much nail is not a good thing, at least on the i-m-a fingers.
Do you find the same thing?
It's a fine balance, but I find it's possible to get it right for both mediums, i.e. long enough nail to engage the steel strings, but not so long that it catches the nylon.
Makes for more frequent nail filing and shaping to keep that ideal length and shape just right.
Hi Andre,

I tend toward longer nails, but there is a "too long" length, too, where they get in the way. When I have it right, playing both steel and nylon work equally well. I do find it hard to avoid a certain "nail click" on nylon that I don't get on steel. It's probably because I pick with mostly nail, and the acrylic hard edge comes in contact with the string first and not the flesh of my finger. I get a "click", especially on the treble strings. I don't recall getting that when I used my natural nails, but that was years ago, and I forget things nowadays. What were we talking about?

If you've seen Ed Gerhard's nails, that's about the length I have. Wish I had his tone, too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical