The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-17-2012, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

Default Peluso CEMC 6 Test

So I couldnt resist and picked up a pair of Peluso CEMC 6's at a good price on Ebay. I wanted something that I could use for closer micing, and my ADK A6's seemed to sensitive to proximity at 6-7 inches away.

I've been playing with the pelusos the past few days in various configurations, eventually settling on this spaced pair.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/36952884/spacedpairver2.wav

I would be interested to hear what folks think, especially in regards to the self noise. I know a few folks on here had mentioned the CEMC 6's self noise was just a bit to much for a quiet source like solo guitar.

Overall I am happy with the tone of the recording, but do feel that I hear a bit more noise, especially in the quieter bits.

In comparison here are a spaced pair of the ADK A6's, same spot in the room, same settings on my Presonus Mobile going into the iMac. They are 6-7 inches away.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/36952884/adkcomparison.wav

I am hearing less self noise than the Pelusos. Perhaps its not enough to make a difference? I do feel the Pelusos are a bit better at close micing. But hearing the extra noise when I am listening through headphones bothers me.

Anton

Last edited by anton; 12-20-2012 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:47 PM

That is a little bit noisy by comparison to the A6.

I actually preferred the sound of the A6; the Peulso's sound like they need to be pulled back a little in the high end. Cutting some highs should also improve the noise.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Yea I prefer the A6 as well. A bit warmer and rounder to my ear, and less noise.

Corresponding with another user on here he said the noise is mostly likely computer or some other noise, as when zooming in on the wav form you can actually see it fluctuating. I guess actual self noise from the mic would be consistent? Hopefully its either computer or outside noise. I am going to test the mics again at a friend's place who has a more quiet environment.

I hope the CEMC6's themselves are not inherently that noisy, to me its a bit much for recording solo guitar.

Anton
Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
...I hope the CEMC6's themselves are not inherently that noisy, to me its a bit much for recording solo guitar.
HI Anton...
I've owned/used a pair for over 5 years, and they are among the quietest mics I own.

I don't download files to my computers to listen, so I cannot comment on your recordings.

Here is a page with a demo video from SoundPure using the CEMC6…(it's first down the page I believe)

CEMC6 demo - CLiCK

I've used these X/Y and A/B and with a Jecklin Disc and have hundreds of studio hours using them on guitars, violins, harmonicas, drums, etc.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 12-19-2012 at 06:21 PM. Reason: added a link
Old 12-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
HI Anton...
I don't download files to my computers to listen, so I cannot comment on your recordings.
Audio files (wav, mp3, etc) are not dangerous. Also in this case you can just select 'open' (rather than download) to listen. If you do that it will be downloaded to a temp folder on your computer. Also BTW when you listen to youtube those files also are downloaded to a temp folder to your computer. Most every audio or video file you listen to or watch is downloaded to a temporary file on your computer.

The mikes sound fine to me. The noise I heard was background noise. Closer mic'ing or a quieter recording room would handle that.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-20-2012, 12:35 AM
Charter Member

Ive fixed the links Larry, if you wanna give them a listen.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

That doesn't sound like mic self-noise to me, and there's plenty of noise on the ADK tracks, too. I think the difference is pretty subtle - they both sound like you, and what differences there are may not be due to the mics alone. You have a somewhat different stereo image between the tracks, for example. Were they placed exactly the same? If so, there may be a difference in the mic patterns, but that could be adjusted. Either pair sounds fine to me.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 AM
Guitar Gourmet

What I'm hearing is not self-noise but more room noise in the Pelusos, possibly due to their different response curve. I can tell you that I much prefer the Pelusos to the ADKs. I like the high-end detail on the Pelusos. The high end of the ADK seems stiff and blocky to me. Just my tastes.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 AM

I tried them about 6 or so years ago and found they had that sort of etched sound I usually find with so many chinese capsules. A low level distortion that wears on the ears.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 12-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your insight folks. I guess I need to do some work on my recording environment. Gotta figure out how I can get rid of that computer noise. We should be in a new house soon, which should hopefully be quieter. Perhaps then I will look for a used mac mini or something I can completely remove from the room, instead of my iMac.

Regarding the placement both recordings are a spaced pair, but i did not record both at the same time. The mics were approx at the neck body joint and the off the lower bout, though position may have varied a bit to get the best stereo balance I could.

Anton
Old 12-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for your insight folks. I guess I need to do some work on my recording environment. Gotta figure out how I can get rid of that computer noise. We should be in a new house soon, which should hopefully be quieter. Perhaps then I will look for a used mac mini or something I can completely remove from the room, instead of my iMac.

Regarding the placement both recordings are a spaced pair, but i did not record both at the same time. The mics were approx at the neck body joint and the off the lower bout, though position may have varied a bit to get the best stereo balance I could.

Anton
Hi Anton...

Yes, environment is an important ingredient. You can gain separation from the iMac by using a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

You can reduce noise even more by keeping it behind (to the rear of) the mics if they are rear-rejecting (cardioid pattern).

Mac Mini is a tempting option, as you could operate it from outside the room and have only the monitor in the room with you (again bluetooth keyboard/mouse is key).

I've experienced none of the aforementioned ear fatigue…I own three sets of capsules for mine, and use the omni-directional capsules with a Jecklin Disc for most of my recording of guitars and other mid-sized instruments.

I listened to your recordings (thanks for fixing them) and like the detail in the CEMC6 far better. I'm not neutral since I've owned/used Peluso CEMC6 mics for quite a few years. It's like owning/using Canon versus Nikon - the color balance of the lens is a give-away to those who do a lot of shooting. Part of the reason I bought the CEMC6 was for good detail without harshness, and for their smoothness without being muddy.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 12-20-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: added a note...
Old 12-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Default Agree w/ Ty

Aloha Anton,

I auditioned those Peluso CEMC6 mic's a few years ago on my home rig. As Ty said, the self-noise & ear fatigue were far too obvious & invasive for me to keep those mic's.

IMO, the ADK A6's are still the best value among cheaper mic's for recording acoustic guitar.

But I also agree w/ Doug re: the noise on your clips. It is computer & environmental noise that I hear. In your new place, maybe build some of Fran's broadband absorbers to help with that, Anton. Thanks for sharing.

A Hui Hou!
alohachris
Old 12-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Larry and Chris.

So I think I am pretty set on mics, I am going to dump the rest of my time/money into room treatment and quieting my recording environment.

The exciting thing is that we are buying a house in Jan, so in the new room I will be able to make whatever modifications I want, put up absorbers, etc.

Anton
Old 12-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Larry and Chris.

So I think I am pretty set on mics, I am going to dump the rest of my time/money into room treatment and quieting my recording environment.

The exciting thing is that we are buying a house in Jan, so in the new room I will be able to make whatever modifications I want, put up absorbers, etc.

Anton
Hi Anton...

I was in mid-building of my studio and someone in an article said "You don't have to finish your studio before you begin using it, and if you do you may end up ripping things out and reconstructing"

I stopped about 60% into my design/construct, and began experimenting with recording, and wow am I glad there are a ton of resources out there on creating a good environment.

I ended up pulling out floor coverings and going with softened walls and ceiling but hard floor. We ended up building our own dampening blocks and they were moveable.

I learned about bass traps, and gobos etc. And we actually adopted the bedroom next door to the studio as an extension booth (without glass).

It's fun to explore and experiment. My gigging partner & I want to record over the next few months and capture some of our live duets, so we are re-exploring mic techniques and placements on top of everything else we've learned over the years.

I think this recording thing could be a life-long learning experience.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD