The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-08-2010, 09:33 PM

Default Willie does jazz

Yesterday while channel surfing, I happened across a concert on Directv HDNetwork. It was Willie Nelson with Wynton Marsalis and Nora Jones live in NYC. The show was pretty good. Of course, Willie was playing alot a jazz standards on his Martin N-20. Willie's guitar playing was unbelievable. Catch it if you can. You will be pleasantly surprised at how well Willie answers Wyntons trumpet riffs and how nice he looks in a tuxedo.

The combination pick and fingers technique that Willie uses seems to coax the most wonderful tones out of that N-20. Willie deserves to be mentioned with the great jazz players.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:14 PM

I've always thought of Willie as a jazz guy who does C&W. Not only in his guitar playing but in his singing. He has this style where he sings just slightly behind the beat.

As yes, he can flat play some very tasty guitar.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 05-09-2010, 10:00 AM

Old 05-09-2010, 11:33 AM

For me, it doesn't matter what Willie does, how can you just not love him?
Old 05-11-2010, 08:49 PM

Have you heard Willie do reggae? Check out his Countryman album.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley View Post
Have you heard Willie do reggae? Check out his Countryman album.
He doesn't play on that one, right? He sings, which is cool, but I seem to recall that he didn't hit a note on Trigger.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 AM

Good JAH JAH, I'm gonna have to go back and have a listen. You may be right. I can't imagine he would not have played trigger, but maybe. I know he plays trigger on a great reggae song he recorded with Toots, called "Still Moving to Me" In fact Willie sounds better on that song than any of his songs on Countryman. I'm a big Willie fan and even bigger reggae fan.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:05 AM

I've been telling everyone for years that Willie Nelson doesn't get near the amount of recognition he deserves for his guitar playing. He's the consumate entertainer in every aspect. The perfect compliment to virtually any performance. If Willie has an ego, he never lets it get in the way of his music.

When you consider Willie's Texas roots, his early influences were less 'country' and more 'western' - (Bob Wills, et. al.). That music is much closer to jazz than it ever will be to C&W. No surprise that Django was another influence.

Mark
Old 05-13-2010, 10:28 AM

I think he is an amazing guitar play. He can solo with the best of them and like his singing, he solos with ease and it seems so natural. He was the Howard Stern show last week and it was a great interview.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dischord View Post
I've been telling everyone for years that Willie Nelson doesn't get near the amount of recognition he deserves for his guitar playing. He's the consumate entertainer in every aspect. The perfect compliment to virtually any performance. If Willie has an ego, he never lets it get in the way of his music.

When you consider Willie's Texas roots, his early influences were less 'country' and more 'western' - (Bob Wills, et. al.). That music is much closer to jazz than it ever will be to C&W. No surprise that Django was another influence.

Mark
Yep, that's why we Texans call him the Honky Tonk Django.

Also, the western in C&W is Western Swing. Swing is jazz.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical