The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Compare & Contrast Taylor NS72ce and NS74ce

I am considering a change & upgrade from my Washburn and am looking for input. I am not a "classical" guitarist, but play some "nylon" tunes (Mood for a Day genre) and want to upgrade tone and playability from my current.

Has anyone ever A/B-ed the NS72ce (Grand Concert body, 18 frets, 12 to body) and the NS74ce (Grand Auditorium body, 20 frets, 14 to body)?

Any input, comments, alternatives and advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 05-05-2010, 09:33 AM

The NS74 had more volume and deeper bass. but not a significantly increased amount. The NS72 had more balance, clarity, and the notes sound sweeter. It was also more comfy to play and hold due to the size difference. If you are not used to playing a 12fret guitar, it might take some getting used to but it not a difficult task. My preference would be the NS72.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:10 AM

I hate it when people do this, but ....

Before you pull the trigger on a Taylor nylon string, make sure you play some other brands (if you have, ignore the rest of this). I really like Taylor guitars (I have 2 and may have a 3rd coming) so this is not some anti Taylor rant. I have played some Taylor nylons and have quite frankly been underwhelmed. In that price range there are some very nice alternatives including the Cervantes, Kenny Hill, Pavan and others.

You may find in the end you still like the Taylors the best and that is fine. Just make sure you get something you really like.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical