The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-15-2010, 01:28 PM

Default Recording King ROS 616

I wonder if anyone else has done this. I just bought a ROS 616 from Music Gear Club off of ebay. As stated,it needed a new bridge saddle. My plan all along was to use high tension nylon strings on this 000 size lightly braced 12 fret guitar. Other than the soft cutout and the mahogany top, it is very close to my Martin 000c16stgne crossover style guitar with a 17/8 nut width.
I made a bone saddle to the same height as my Martin and installed M160 Martin strings. I used them because I had them and they have a ball end.
The light bracing and thin (by Asian standards) top allow the guitar to be quite loud with a lot of bass. Treble side if good too.
The finish and workmanship on this guitar are very good and it looks real good in my 535 Geib case.jb
Old 04-15-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john bange View Post
I wonder if anyone else has done this. I just bought a ROS 616 from Music Gear Club off of ebay. As stated,it needed a new bridge saddle. My plan all along was to use high tension nylon strings on this 000 size lightly braced 12 fret guitar. Other than the soft cutout and the mahogany top, it is very close to my Martin 000c16stgne crossover style guitar with a 17/8 nut width.
I made a bone saddle to the same height as my Martin and installed M160 Martin strings. I used them because I had them and they have a ball end.
The light bracing and thin (by Asian standards) top allow the guitar to be quite loud with a lot of bass. Treble side if good too.
The finish and workmanship on this guitar are very good and it looks real good in my 535 Geib case.jb
It sounds like an interesting project. My concern is that the bracing scheme is totally different than most nylon string guitars (x brace vs fan). I don't know but I would wonder whether the nylon strings can produce enough energy to drive the top.

Please let us know how this works out for you.

Good luck

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 04-15-2010, 03:15 PM

that was my concern also. I have been playing the two guitars side by side for a couple of hours now and I really think they are close. It was the forum talk of light construction that got me thinking about doing this. It is very close in weight to my Martin when I remove the battery.
I am going to order some ultra high tension strings and experiment a little but I really can't complain about the Martin strings. Funny, I don't like the Martin strings on my Martin, but they seem to working the Recording King.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:15 PM

A sound clip or video comparison would be nice. My sister in law did the same thing with a little 12 fret 00 Hohner englemann/ovankol. It actually sounds good. Not great, but, good. It isn't that loud but she only plays solo for herself.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:50 PM

got some other opinions now and the verdict is that the Martin is louder...more bottom but not much louder. I once had an Ovation nylon string classical with a deep bowl. This is similar to the Ovation. I'd love to play those two side by side...anyway, I'm happy with the guitar and I think I will keep it.
by the way: the thread says that I cannot add attatchments or I would do so.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:40 PM

3 days now and I continue to be very pleased with this experiment. I could not find a Recording King dealer in town but I found some BlueRidge guitars. The small bodied slot head Blueridge is noticably heavier than my Recording King. This is why I think this works as well as it does. The scaloped bracing and the top are thin material.
As to why I did this...I have always played guitars with nylon strings and banjos with fishing line...I just cannot seem to get comfortable holding a flat pick. I love the mojo of the 12 fret slot head "folk" type guitars and folk music is what I primarily play. The 17/8th nut is more comfortable for me than a 2" and I think it is easier to strum a radiused saddle.
I made a Martin D12-1 12 string work with high tension nylon once but sold it...I get to hear it all the time and I wish I had kept it. It too had a very thin top and bracing.
Probably nobody will try this but if you do, and there are some great deals on ROS type Recording Kings on ebay, you will have to replace the stock bridge saddle with a taller one. The stock saddle is just shy of 1/8 thick and sits in an ebony bridge
Old 04-17-2010, 02:58 PM

John

I've followed your thread with great interest. I am glad you are pleased with the results. You seem to have experience from doing this in the past. I am curious how you would compare the results with nylon strings on the guitar to what you would get with silk and steel strings. Is it the softer treble sound that you are after?

If you can figure out how to post a sound clip I'd love to here what your ROS sounds like.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 04-18-2010, 09:44 AM

It isn't a spcific treble or bass sound that i'm looking for, just the right hand technique. I just like the playability of the nylon. I have never tried the silk and steel strings.
I am committed to this project now and modifying the nut slots to fine tune the action and buying a new Geib case.
I have seen threads where the owner has sanded the volute off of the back of the v shaped neck on these guitars. I can see why. It v shape takes some getting used to but I like it now.
I have added a Greven tortise pick guard to the top...not because it needed it, just because I like the look. The banjo tends to keep my nails sharp also.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:06 AM

Sounds like a nice conversion. Your thread might be helpful to some who are interested in a nice inexpensive crossover guitar. Sounds like these might sound good under a flatpick. Too bad we can't have some pics and soundclips. By the way, those Martin 000C-16sgtne's are nice guitars. I wish they would make them again. I wonder if they will make them by custom order?
Old 04-18-2010, 04:35 PM

my 000c16sgtne is my all time favorite guitar...I have had a lot of nylon string guitars. I think it is odd that Martin has abandoned the crossover nylon string market while others like Taylor are producing a complete line of really fine guitars. It is because they are no longer available that I am modifying this Recording King...it even looks like a Martin...way prettier than a 15 series. They are identical in size and I need a back-up that I can take anywhere...practice...campfire. My Martin has a few scuffs on it now and I don't want anymore. Also, it seems that sometimes when I am playing the banjo, my guitar is looked at as "needing to be played". I won't mind too much if its the RK.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:49 PM

I have the 627. It's just a magic guitar. A steel-string with a strong classical vibe really works well for me.
The Music Link is making some fine stuff these days...RKs, the new Loar archtops, VHT handwired tube amps for under $200...crazy stuff.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:58 AM

final installment on this little project...with the fileing of the 1 7/8th nut slots, I have got the action on this guitar to where it should be.
I understand the newer ROS series guitars have a 1 13/16th nut...not sure.
I have a set of nut slot files from Stew Mac and the job was easy. The Martin M160 ball end strings work well and I think I will continue to use them.
This was a very inexpensive project made even cheaper by finding one at auction.
The Recording King ROS 616 works great with nylon strings and is a great addition to my collection. I could have spent a lot more and still would not have the 12 fret 000size guitar that I like...
Old 04-30-2010, 11:11 AM

final, final post on this...I took 0000 steel wool to the body. I sanded the whole thing. The finish felt like there was dust in the spray booth when it was done. It now feels like the Martin guitar it resembles. The mahogany is much prettier now.
The remarkable thing is that it has opened up a little. The tone is brighter. At first, I thought I was just imagining it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical