The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-22-2017, 05:17 AM

Default "Fargo" Season Finale

Another season of "Fargo" has concluded and it was very satisfying. I won't include details for those who haven't seen it yet.

Just a couple things struck me. The season opened in an East German interrogation room and I never saw the connection unless it was the David Thewlis character.

The other was the deaf hit man that re-appeared from season 1. I couldn't recall the time frame of season one so I couldn't tell if his actions in this season preceded or followed what he did in in season 1.

It did keep true to the theme of good triumphing in the end. To me, all the stories are summed up in a line from Frances McDormand in the movie, "All this for just a little bit of money"
Old 06-22-2017, 09:17 AM

I am with you on the closing scene. It clearly mirrored or bookended the opening scene, but I guess I'm not quite sharp enough to make the connection.
I would say there are probably a lot of fans scratching their heads on that one.

I have not watched the first season yet, so wasn't aware that the deaf guy was a recurring character.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I am with you on the closing scene. It clearly mirrored or bookended the opening scene, but I guess I'm not quite sharp enough to make the connection.
I would say there are probably a lot of fans scratching their heads on that one.

I have not watched the first season yet, so wasn't aware that the deaf guy was a recurring character.
It was perfect symmetry. In the opening scene two people face each other with completely different versions of truth and reality. In the final scene the same occurs. Since in the opening scene the power of officialdom appeared poised to impose its version on the 'citizen' it makes me wonder if it's not logical to conclude that the same will happen to the self-described 'citizen of the air' in the final scene.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-22-2017, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
It was perfect symmetry. In the opening scene two people face each other with completely different versions of truth and reality. In the final scene the same occurs. Since in the opening scene the power of officialdom appeared poised to impose its version on the 'citizen' it makes me wonder if it's not logical to conclude that the same will happen to the self-described 'citizen of the air' in the final scene.

This was pretty much my take as well, and the ambiguity lurking behind the door was a fitting final nod to the ongoing dilemma regarding "fake" vs. "real" reflecting the current state of affairs. To which the clearcut distinction between good and evil becomes a welcome anodyne.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:54 AM

I think one of the real standouts this season was David Thewlis. Ewan MacGregor got a lot of publicity for his dual roles but Thewlis really carried off the menacing bad guy well. He has always been in roles where he is the goofy, mild mannered guy and he really did an outstanding job this season. Rivaled Billy Bob for best bad guy portrayal.

I also liked the way they moved the Nikki Swango character from floozie to avenging angel.

And we have a new simple definition of the Midwest, "Pigs and Snickers bars"
Old 06-23-2017, 05:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think one of the real standouts this season was David Thewlis. Ewan MacGregor got a lot of publicity for his dual roles but Thewlis really carried off the menacing bad guy well. He has always been in roles where he is the goofy, mild mannered guy and he really did an outstanding job this season. Rivaled Billy Bob for best bad guy portrayal.
Definitely.

Finally got to see it last night after taping it Wednesday. Made sure I didn't read this thread beforehand.
Agree that it was a fitting finale to another outstanding season.
Quote:
It was perfect symmetry. In the opening scene two people face each other with completely different versions of truth and reality. In the final scene the same occurs.
Thanks for that catdaddy. Given how the season unfolded, I too was trying to tie things up with the significance of episode 1, and this fits perfectly.
Quote:
It did keep true to the theme of good triumphing in the end.
Exactly right. Done the Fargo way.
Varga was a formidable manipulator, but even he could tell he had met his match at the end, with humble Gloria Burgle sitting across from him barring the way. No getting in those Pearly Gates.
Good vs. Evil meeting in "Eden" Valley MN. Always a tough fight.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 06-23-2017, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post

I also liked the way they moved the Nikki Swango character from floozie to avenging angel.

And we have a new simple definition of the Midwest, "Pigs and Snickers bars"
I agree about David Thewlis. Remarkable portrayal and interesting casting choice. I found a lot of his scenes mesmerizing.

There were some really mind bending moments this season but my head exploded with "You want shoes?" in the bowling alley.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 06-30-2017, 06:54 PM

Just finished here in Australia 2 night ago.
Just like 1 and 2 this 3rd series was truly excellent.
Thewlis was truly revolting/brilliant whereas Billy Bob was truly evil/brilliant.
Fantastic television.
Do people from there really have that unique accent? Love it!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 06-30-2017, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Just finished here in Australia 2 night ago.
Just like 1 and 2 this 3rd series was truly excellent.
Thewlis was truly revolting/brilliant whereas Billy Bob was truly evil/brilliant.
Fantastic television.
Do people from there really have that unique accent? Love it!
Yes, exactly like that. And the expressions they use are ones you commonly hear in that region. "Well, OK then".

I worked for a woman who was from there and after I saw the movie "Fargo", I could barely talk to her because she sounded just like Margie.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Yes, exactly like that. And the expressions they use are ones you commonly hear in that region. "Well, OK then".

I worked for a woman who was from there and after I saw the movie "Fargo", I could barely talk to her because she sounded just like Margie.
You're right.
I liked the way "Yeah, OK" would become "Yar, well OK then".

'Yeah' is a kinda cross between 'Yeah' and 'Ja'.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-01-2017, 04:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, exactly like that.
And I was surprised to hear Ewan MacGregor in a recent interview, because I didn't know he was a native Scotsman!
So, 2 distinct parts + the "Fargo" accent. Great acting job!
I hope they bring back a Season 4, but it's far from a done deal from what I understand.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic