The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Satisfaction from ownership of a thing is so subjective a topic!

As for it's cost and worth, well, a dollar value can be attached to any object.
It doesn't mean a thing until someone has money in hand and decides it is better to have the thing in hand than the money.

Autographs are just one example of the things people will pay money to acquire and have for a collection.

I wouldn't pay money for a Hummel figurine, but I've got an acquaintance with a cupboard full of them. Scaled down replicas of trucks and cars don't appeal to me either, but I've got a brother-in-law with unopened boxes of miniature trucks with oil company logos on the side. Both these folks dream of the huge value these collections will someday represent for their heirs.

When I downsized the items comprising my CD-music collection, I gained over a cubic foot of space by discarding all the CD artwork and jewel cases.

Only for the briefest of nano-seconds did I consider the original signatures that existed on some of the artwork, during which fleeting moment I couldn't derive a particle of satisfaction from knowing I had evidence of someone's ability to sign their name.

Keep those things that bring you joy. It's different for each of us and is alot of what makes us so interesting to one another!

My biggest collection by far is memories.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 06-19-2017, 04:27 PM

Default paying for autographs

I don't own any, but if I did, they would be from Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy. Those are the only two that have monetary value and significance IMHO.

BahPa

2015 Taylor GS-Mini Hog
2002 Martin 000-18 Sunburst
2005 Martin 000-28
2011 Martin 0-12VS
1972 Ovation 12 string
2015 Fender P-Bass Sunburst
2008 Fender Tele Thinline
2011 Fender Tele Sunburst
1998 Washburn BT-9
Old 06-19-2017, 04:45 PM

Posts like this one make me wish there was a LIKE button to use.
I so agree with your sentiments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
Satisfaction from ownership of a thing is so subjective a topic!

As for it's cost and worth, well, a dollar value can be attached to any object.
It doesn't mean a thing until someone has money in hand and decides it is better to have the thing in hand than the money.

Autographs are just one example of the things people will pay money to acquire and have for a collection.

I wouldn't pay money for a Hummel figurine, but I've got an acquaintance with a cupboard full of them. Scaled down replicas of trucks and cars don't appeal to me either, but I've got a brother-in-law with unopened boxes of miniature trucks with oil company logos on the side. Both these folks dream of the huge value these collections will someday represent for their heirs.

When I downsized the items comprising my CD-music collection, I gained over a cubic foot of space by discarding all the CD artwork and jewel cases.

Only for the briefest of nano-seconds did I consider the original signatures that existed on some of the artwork, during which fleeting moment I couldn't derive a particle of satisfaction from knowing I had evidence of someone's ability to sign their name.

Keep those things that bring you joy. It's different for each of us and is alot of what makes us so interesting to one another!

My biggest collection by far is memories.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

I used to have a retail store, and now and then a celebrity would come in. If I recognized them, I would ask for an autograph to go on the store wall, and everyone seemed pleased to do so.

Musically, I actually met John Fogerty twice and asked for an autograph. The first time all I had to sign was a birthday card for my girlfriend I had just purchased, he laughed and told her Happy Birthday and she did not know what to think about it because it wasn't from someone she knew. The second time he signed a bib number from a road race, quoting "Don't look back" and telling me I should know where that line came from.

Once, Ozzie Newsome was in my store and a little kid was running around in a Baltimore Ravens T-shirt. He asked me for a sharpie and called the kid over, told him to turn around and wrote "Ozzie Newsome, HOF 82" on his back. The kid screamed, "Mom, that man just wrote all over my back!" She looked at his back, and her eyes grew wide, and she looked at him and said, "Thank you, I am never going to wash this shirt, I am going to have it framed for him because he will appreciate it when he grows up."

However, I do get that there are a lot of people out there willing to pay to collect signatures, and that there are a lot of people out there willing to chase the money by doing the work to collect the signatures.

CK
Old 06-19-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromeda View Post
In science-fiction and fantasy film culture if you go to a convention the stars of these films charge money for an autograph and photo. I hear Mark Hamill of Star Wars and the voice of the Joker charged up to $250.00. I understand sports stars are the same way? If you sign 15,000 autographs at a convention that can be big bucks. I hear some actors, the more successful ones, give the money to charity, while some pocket the cash.

I have mixed feelings about this. I know some "lesser" stars from this genre can make some good money this way, but at the same time something just feels wrong but I can put my finger on it. Maybe it seems greedy?

What are your thoughts?
I would never pay for an autograph for the people living today. Not impressed.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:57 PM

Location: Central Va, really, 4 miles from geographical center of the state

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I met Pete Rose one time, in his office. i asked him for an autograph- for my brother-I figured it would be an neat gift. So I'm sitting at his desk and he's looking at me and he says do you have a pen and something to write on? And I said, It's your office, you must have that stuff around here.

So he laughed and found some stationery and a pen and wrote a nice note.

I still laugh about it. He was a hell of a nice guy.
The high school i went to played against where Rose went. If i had been good enough i would have played against him. I dont think i ever heard someone say he was a nice guy.
Old 06-20-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
I guess if you live in one of those 'mini homes' or a trailer, a cubic foot is needed?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-20-2017, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I guess if you live in one of those 'mini homes' or a trailer, a cubic foot is needed?

I live in a house with a 900 sf open floor plan and very few closets.

My inner spirit is a minimalist.

If I don't use the stuff I don't want to possess the stuff .
If the stuff doesn't bring me joy I don't want the stuff in my line of vision!

I like wide open empty spaces, blank walls, and surfaces free of clutter.

Except for guitars and music - I make exceptions for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 06-22-2017, 12:19 PM

Many years ago my wife and I went to see Alabama in concert. After the last number, Randy Owen came down to the edge of the stage and signed an autograph for a fan as the band played an extended outro. Well, the flood gates opened and many many people headed to the stage for one. He graciously signed everything that was handed to him. After about 10 minutes, the band ended the song and wandered off stage. We were near the end of the line to get an autograph and when we made it to the stage I asked him if there would be a second show later that night and he said no. He didn't think it would be fair to those attending the second show because they were tired and couldn't put on as good a show for them.

And he thanked every person who asked for an autograph. That's the only autograph I've ever asked for.

I know its unrealistic to say this about an entire genre of music but Country acts seem to be more thankful for their fans and much more polite than others.

Best,
PJ
Old 06-22-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty70 View Post
The high school i went to played against where Rose went. If i had been good enough i would have played against him. I dont think i ever heard someone say he was a nice guy.

I know a whole lot of dyed in the wool life long fans of Pete Rose the ball player, who will tell you straight up that he always was and still is a self centered, egomaniacal a-hole in person...the times I've met him over the years puts me right in that camp, too...
Old 06-23-2017, 02:12 AM

There are good and bad in every crowd. Most of the celebs that I have met have been extremely humble people who are thankful for your attention. The ones who aren't aren't worth my time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic