The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-13-2017, 05:35 PM

Default Strobe tuner vs. I-phone app

Does anybody here use an I-phone app called "piano tuner"? It's free and I would really like to know how it compares to a strobe tuner. I use it all the time and it's seems as good as any of the clip on type guitar tuners and also shows frequency numbers.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:22 PM

Not quite the same.

I do not know of any free piano tuner, I have a piano tuner app for my ipad but it cost 299usd, so I cannot comment on a free version.

The piano tuner app I have shows a frequency graph and the note in relation to that graph, the biggest feature of piano tuner apps, is the ability to create custom stretches (I tune pianos).

Strobe tuners are very accurate subjective to the model, I have a stand alone peterson strobe tuner and its the most accurate tuner I have ever come across no good for pianos, magnificent for intonation setups on other stringed instruments, using the strobe function you can instantly see sharp and flat relationships to the core note.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-13-2017, 06:34 PM

Don't know about your piano tuner, but I use one called Guitar Tuna. I love it. Very easy to use and very accurate.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2017, 07:38 AM

Please excuse my fading eyesight for calling the app "Piano". It is " PanoTuner " free app.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair