The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-07-2017, 07:27 AM

Default Cordoba GK Studio Limited Opinions

Looking at the possibility of buying one of these to compliment my GK Studio cyress and wondering if anyone who has one or has played one would care to weigh in on the tonal differences between this one and the standard Studio Negra. There are only a handful of videos on youtube, so its hard to get a pulse on the difference in sound between the two, but it does seem to possess characteristics of both the cypress and negra models, i.e. crisp and punchy like a cypress Studio and mellow like the Studio Negra. I also read somewhere that the inside of the guitar body did not have the laminated Ziricote piece, just the outside. Can someone confirm this? My GK Studio looks as if it has a cypress laminate both on the inside and outside. Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:42 AM

I've never had a chance to try on out. They're very nice looking for sure

Cordoba says that "this model offers a bassier and more robust tone in contrast to the bright, snappy sound of ‘blanca’ flamenco guitars"

My humble opinion is that you might get the same tonal result from the GK Studio Negra. But you won't get the WOW visual impact of the ziricote back and sides.

I think a fellow AGF member Red_Label owns one of the limited models.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 06-07-2017, 09:50 AM

While I often read posts to the contrary, in the case of blanca and negra Cordoba GK Studios at least, the laminate backs and sides do communicate the character of the wood in a relatively expected fashion. I don't know if this is because of the way Cordoba makes their laminate or some other hidden feature, but every lam rosewood has been similar, every lam cypress is similar and the blancas and negras are different from each other.

I don't know ziricote but I would expect, if Cordoba is using the same laminate method, the ziricote sound would carry over. Good luck sorting it out.

hunter
Old 06-07-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
While I often read posts to the contrary, in the case of blanca and negra Cordoba GK Studios at least, the laminate backs and sides do communicate the character of the wood in a relatively expected fashion. I don't know if this is because of the way Cordoba makes their laminate or some other hidden feature, but every lam rosewood has been similar, every lam cypress is similar and the blancas and negras are different from each other.

I don't know ziricote but I would expect, if Cordoba is using the same laminate method, the ziricote sound would carry over. Good luck sorting it out.

hunter
Yes, I agree completely with what you said. I think they have done a good job nailing the sound of the solid woods with the laminate counterparts. Keeping in mind that the "laminates" are real wood bookending the middle material, it stands to reason that this would be the case.
I know the Ziricote is from the rosewood family, but prior to getting into classical guitars, I had never heard of it before. I wished there were more examples on youtube to listen to. I can hear some rosewood characteristics in a couple of vidoes, but I also hear a little more pep than traditional rosewood. This one may possess the best of the Studio cypress and the Studio negra. I'm hoping to get more hits on this from those who have one or actually have played one. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-07-2017, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

Yes, you have it right in the sound of Ziricote being between the blanca and negra models. I owned a Studio blanca and played a ziricote Ltd model. It was darker and slightly more full sounding than the cypress. I also owned the 55FCE blanca and 55FCE Ltd ziricote models and the ziricote was also a bit more full bodied than the cypress there as well. But the rosewood Cordobas that I've had were more full-bodied than the ziricotes. It definitely sits right between cypress and rosewood, combining traits of each.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Yes, you have it right in the sound of Ziricote being between the blanca and negra models. I owned a Studio blanca and played a ziricote Ltd model. It was darker and slightly more full sounding than the cypress. I also owned the 55FCE blanca and 55FCE Ltd ziricote models and the ziricote was also a bit more full bodied than the cypress there as well. But the rosewood Cordobas that I've had were more full-bodied than the ziricotes. It definitely sits right between cypress and rosewood, combining traits of each.
Thanks a million! That clears up the muddy water for me very much. I am still on the fence about whether to buy a GK Pro blanca or this Ziricote model. I rarely play plugged in, so if tone is pretty consistent between the Studio and Pro blanca, I don't see much advantage to the additional purchase of the same (tonal guitar). However, I will take solid wood all day long over a laminate if there is tremendous differences in tone. I did not find that to be the case looking at the C7 and C10 (that I purchased), but the C10 was a factory blem and I was able to acquire for just a couple hundred dollars more than a new C7.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
...and just to provide a little background on myself, I am primarily a steel string flatpicker that got asked to play a wedding in October of this year so I went to purchase a "classical" guitar for the occasion and fell in love with the Cordoba. Consequently, I have fallen in love with playing these types of guitars and have been playing nylon over steel nearly 10:1 over the last few months. Given that, I most likely won't be gigging very much with it, so it boils down (for me) acquiring another great nylon string guitar that has great tonal balance and sound. The C10 hits all those notes, but its just not as fun to play as the Studio. You probably know what I'm talking about given the fact that you have so many. They all seem to serve their own purpose. For me, the blanca has been the perfect instrument to relax with outside sitting under the shade tree rolling off song after relaxing song, but I will be taking the C10 to play at this wedding because the tone of the solid wood rosewood is superior to laminate blanca.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical