The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-06-2017, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Default Epiphone finish question

Both I and a friend have Epiphones from 1965, his is a Cabellero, mine is a Texan. My Texan seems to have a typical laquer finish, crazed in a typical old guitar way. The Caballero, a 00 sized all hog guitar, has a much thicker finish. It has lived a hard life in Eastern apartments and a harsh climate. It has finished checked in a much more prominent way, to the point where there is quite a lot of finish flaked off to bare wood.

I've done some crack repair, leveled the frets, made a new bridge saddle and changed the tuners back to a more appropriate set of Klusons, and we are debating on doing a refinish. As this was probably Epiphone's cheapest guitar, it will never be a collectible, but it has a great deal of sentimental value. Might it have been a new type of easy to manufacture finish? .015 thick.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-06-2017, 06:03 PM

It is nitro lacquer, AFAIK. I have seen satin finishes on the LG-0's (the Gibson equivalent). Satin lacquer seems to have more issues with adhesion.
Old 06-07-2017, 06:20 AM

It's nitro.....The thicker the nitro the worse it checks and flakes with age. That's the way it works....the thicker film has more trouble keeping pace with the expansion and contraction of the wood.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair