The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 06-05-2017, 06:38 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
A GX in Ekoa. Now that would be something!
Yes, it would be. But, I can't ever see that happening.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:27 AM

Default CA Product Manager here

Michael Smith here. I didn't have an account here, so it took me a couple of days to get one. It's good to see interest out there. Right now, we are working on some exciting new things in CA world that we'll be showing at SNAMM. The Gotoh tuners was a huge problem for us but we are over that hurdle with a new custom tuner from Hipshot. I think the comment about "pizzaz" was spot on and some of the new things we have coming I think will fit that bill, with even more to come later. We have many backorders to fill, which is our immediate concern, and we are working hard to achieve that. More to come...

Last edited by CAPRODMGR; 06-06-2017 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Didn't include my name.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPRODMGR View Post
Michael Smith here. I didn't have an account here, so it took me a couple of days to get one. It's good to see interest out there. Right now, we are working on some exciting new things in CA world that we'll be showing at SNAMM. The Gotoh tuners was a huge problem for us but we are over that hurdle with a new custom tuner from Hipshot. I think the comment about "pizzaz" was spot on and some of the new things we have coming I think will fit that bill, with even more to come later. We have many backorders to fill, which is our immediate concern, and we are working hard to achieve that. More to come...
Hi Michael. Thanks for joining the forum and your input. It is appreciated and we hope that CA will continue to provide insight. There are many CA lovers here, me included.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:20 AM

Welcome Michael. It's nice to see CA appearing around here. That can only be a good thing for you, chatting among us carbon-heads. My local guitar store is pretty good with CA stock, but the only thing we've bought from them was a Cargo about two years ago.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPRODMGR View Post
I would be interested in hearing more about the new custom tuner from Hipshot. I know I had a very hard time trying to order a GX due to the Gotoh problems. I did buy the Legacy, which I am very happy with.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:56 AM

Welcome aboard, Michael.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:02 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Just curious...what are the actual Gotoh problems being mentioned?
Old 06-06-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I'm sure Michael will be responding . My understanding was it was just a supply problem?
Old 06-06-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
It was a minimum order problem. Turns out that CA was the only brand using that particular tuner and they raised the MOQ to a point that it was very hard to manage. I approached Hipshot about doing something for us closed back with an 18:1 ratio, something they didn't offer. They came through with flying colors and we are currently working through the last of the Gotohs now.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:45 PM
Charter Member

Welcome aboard, Michael - always great to see participation here from the manufacturers.
Old 06-06-2017, 06:19 PM
Guest 928

Michael;

Good to have you in the room. I am standing at the door, holding back any escape.

Previously, we had someone from PV walking us through the transition from CA to PV, and he was good. And he was right, my CA/PV Cargo was a much nicer instrument then my first Cargo.

So now, here we are. PV has purchased an incredibly innovative instrument company, and has refined the instruments to a high level of quality. But CA/PV is also way behind the other composite guitar makers.

So far, PV has pursued the models developed by CA. But that approach does not advance development. The one CA guitar that has not yet been refined by PV is the electric guitar. I know that the CA Blade is the about the only CF electric guitar, and that there might be some inclination to renovate the Blade. I think this is a chance for CA to weigh in on a new composite guitar, one developed by PV.

That's just one thought. My primary press with composite guitars has been nylon strung instruments. The classical nylon string guitar is the product of 500 years of R&D. Rainsong, Blackbird, and Emerald have all weighed in on acoustic nylon string guitars. CA/PV is the only chicken left.

Anyway, it is nice to see you here. I look forward to the future of CA/PV.
Old 06-07-2017, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
But CA/PV is also way behind the other composite guitar makers.
Some things don't need change and I think that is the case with the GX. In my opinion, the other manufactures are still way behind the GX in design ~ and for my purposes ~ tone.

So I hope CA won't discontinue what is working in the name of "innovation." I feel that Emerald did that by discontinuing the center sound hole X10.

Like Evan, I would be delighted to see a nylon from CA, a new electric, and perhaps new composite materials like those used in the new Blackbirds.

Just don't ditch the classics and fix what's doesn't need fixing!!!
Old 06-07-2017, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Welcome aboard, Michael - always great to see participation here from the manufacturers.
We hear you. Don't forget the first thing we did is completely redesign the existing line. Many improvements were needed and made. Since then, our goal has been to increase our distribution and dealer base. The #1 complaint I get is that people have a hard time finding a stocking dealer to try one out. Now we are doing a re-launch with updated models at SNAMM. There's no doubt we'd like to explore line extensions. A nylon is a good idea, a 12 is always a possibility. An electric is always something in our minds, as is bringing this technology into the bass world. Most people don't remember Peavey innovated the bass world with CF a long time ago. For now we just need many more brand ambassadors like all of you!
Old 06-07-2017, 07:48 AM
Anticipation Junkie

I love CA designs, loved my '08 gloss tobacco burst GXi (sold it to fund my Emerald doubleneck) and my existing '08 charcoal Cargo RT. My only beef is the overall weight. Even the Cargo is kinda heavy for the small guitar it is. Was weight addressed in the redesigns? If not, it would be great if they were a fair bit lighter like a number of other CF builders are doing. Of course, efforts to do so would likely effect tone, maybe in a good way, maybe not so good. I suppose that if tone is compromised, it'd be best to stick with the current designs, but is CA trying to deal with it, or considers it a non-issue.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
...So now, here we are. PV has purchased an incredibly innovative instrument company, and has refined the instruments to a high level of quality. But CA/PV is also way behind the other composite guitar makers.
The above had me scratching my head, till I read this:

Quote:
That's just one thought. My primary press with composite guitars has been nylon strung instruments.
You are relentless, Evan, but sadly you are part of a vey small group of players looking for a CF nylon. The current dreadnought, grand auditorium, orchestra model, and 3/4 size travel guitar pretty much cover 90% of what players are looking for, so CA is definitely not behind anyone as far as popular models, but I would like to see the Legacy 12-string come back, with a 1-7/8" nut if possible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber