The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 PM

Default How Many Guitars Is Enough?

I currently have four guitars but I hardly use three of them. I wanted to buy a new one but then I'm wondering if I really need another one? How many do you currently own and do you feel like you need to thin the herd or add to it?

Never use metronomes; they screw up my timing!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 PM

For me it is one martin dread and one taylor GA.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:00 PM

I used to believe the answer was, as many as I could store. But that now seems very extravagant and unnecessary, especially given my limited skill set. I'm leaning toward four (which may also be extravagant). I justify them this way: a Voyage Air for travel, a hog for hog sound, another wood for another wood sound, and a carbon fiber for unhumidified, back porch, around the house fun.

I could easily rationalize any number of other guitars such as a twelve-string, different brands, different sizes, etc.
-----Alvarez MF75S
-----Guild F20SB
Old 08-15-2012, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

I have 4 acoustics and they all sound differently from one another, so I really enjoy the variety.

On the other hand, I hardly ever play electric, but I have 4 and a bass. I'm thinking about selling all the electrics except the bass and buying a used Variax to cover whatever electrified sound I might like.

And even if I did that, it would never kill my interest in seeing and trying new guitars when they come out.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:12 PM

Default How Many Guitars Is Enough?

For me, three.
One nice Martin, a nice electric archtop, and a nasty acoustic beater.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:18 PM

One is enough for me.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:19 PM

I'd be thinking sell the three I don't use, then look at getting another.
Personally I've got two circa $2K small bodies (bought used) and wish that I had one $4K om instead. The logistics of selling them both then having to wait to find the "one" are a bit too much for me!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 PM

I'd have them all if I could.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:35 PM

For 26 solid years straight, I had only one all laminated dreadnought guitar and was perfectly happy with that one guitar. It did everything I needed a guitar to do.

Then.......along about 2008, I discovered two acoustic guitar forums. Since then I've bought, sold and traded a few guitars that otherwise I would've never had the joy of owning and playing. At this time, the old laminated dread is long gone (sold it) and I have two fairly nice dreads. Nice enough for me, anyway. And, at my limited level of play, either one would be just as good as the other.........so, I could get it down to just ONE GUITAR again, with no problem at all. I'll probably stay with two, though. Need a "spare" just in case one is in the shop.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostwriter View Post
How Many Guitars Is Enough?
Just one more!

*everything* is a tone control
Old 08-15-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostwriter View Post
I currently have four guitars but I hardly use three of them. I wanted to buy a new one but then I'm wondering if I really need another one? How many do you currently own and do you feel like you need to thin the herd or add to it?
Hello GW -

Wow - I could go any number of directions with this! I have owned 16-18 (with the models rotating in and out) at various times. I now have maybe a third that number.

But, that says nothing about "need" - just the "want" for me to own a number of cool guitars (and many were / still are)!

I plan to get it down to: one great acoustic; one great electric; one "hybrid"; one "jazz box"; and a couple / three good amps.

Best wishes on your endeavor -
Old 08-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Hi Gostwriter,

I think "enough" guitars is when you don't want to buy any more or else your spouse or your financial condition dictates that you cannot buy any more.

If I were playing only one guitar, then I would be tempted to get rid of the others. But I play all my guitars. I really enjoy the variety of tonal colors.

- Glenn
Old 08-15-2012, 07:53 PM

I have a mighty fine guitar. For now, one is enough.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Gostwriter,

I think "enough" guitars is when you don't want to buy any more or else your spouse or your financial condition dictates that you cannot buy any more.

If I were playing only one guitar, then I would be tempted to get rid of the others. But I play all my guitars. I really enjoy the variety of tonal colors.

- Glenn
True...

I used to have a collection of vintage fenders, gibsons, gretsches... 3 years ago I sold most of them, atleast 50 guitars... I just kept an original 57 Telecaster and an original 62' Es 335... My interest shifted to highend acoustics... I have about 12 world class acoustics now... and Im not looking or gassing when browsing the forum... but, I have 5 builds due to finish in the the next 2-7 years... hahaha
Old 08-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

I have a even dozen & a Martin 00-15 glossy on the way soon. I don't need any of them, but I enjoy all of them & will probably buy at least 1 a year for the foreseeable future.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion