The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-20-2017, 03:24 PM

Default paypal fees and agreement

i know this has been covered before but i thought this to be strange.

on another site, i negotiated for a guitar amp and the seller agreed with the price and that he would pay shipping. then, he sent an additional email indicating that he wanted me to say it was family money so no fees would be paid. i wrote back that i didn't feel it proper to do that and that the seller had the responsibility to pay the fees. he wrote back to say that it was a win/win situation with him paying the shipping and me paying the fees. note that the amp was $500 so the fees are $15. not a lot of money but i just feel that he was squeezing more money out of me. the price of the amp is in the middle ,not too high price but not a steal by any means.

i feel a little reluctant to do the transaction at this point and wanted to get your opinions.

thanks,

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Don't do it! Offer to split the fees or something and send 507.50. Otherwise, you have no protection. Might as well send a cashiers check
Old 06-20-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcran View Post
Don't do it! Offer to split the fees or something and send 507.50. Otherwise, you have no protection. Might as well send a cashiers check
even if i pay the fees?
thanks

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-20-2017, 03:36 PM

I think when you do the family bit, you lose some protections under Paypal if something goes wrong with the deal. I refuse to do it because I think it hurts everyone. To me, Paypal has been a good option for years -- a lot better than having to get a money order, cashiers check, etc. -- and people trying to screw them are just a little too dishonest for me.

If you really want the item, and trust the seller enough, I'd pay the $15. But i get what you are saying. I really detest someone who is always trying to wrangle out an extra nickle after a deal is made.

Good luck.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Don't do it!!!! Regardless of the meager fee, you lose all PayPal protection as a buyer if you go the Friends & Family route. Buyer is either ignorant of this or trying to implement a short, slender, sharp-pointed metal pin with a raised helical thread running around it and a slotted head, used to join things together by being rotated so that it pierces wood or other material and is held tightly in place...

Paypal Scam: Friends and Family Payment for a goods transaction
Has Paypal ever assisted anyone who was scammed by being asked for Friends and Family Payment for a goods transaction?
Paypal is very aware of this scam, for the average user the first time they've even heard of this time of transaction is when another member asks for them to send them money in that form. Usually something like "hey, can you send the money as friends and family? I can drop the price a couple bucks since I won't be charged the fee."

Paypal can easily eliminate this problem by requiring a person to check a box acknowledging,
This payment is not for a good transaction.
I am aware I have no ability to dispute this transaction once sent.
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 06-20-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 03:47 PM

I am sure that many people are declaring that payments are for "friends or family", to avoid the fees, when in fact they are for purchases. This is making petty criminals out of thousands of people who shouldn't have to be faced with this kind of decision. This then makes them feel somewhat guilty and motivates them to start a thread in the AGF, or elsewhere, to decide if it's ok or not.

It's Paypal's fault! How about 1.5% for every type of payment instead?
Old 06-20-2017, 03:49 PM
Guest 1478

The biggest reason you shouldn't do it is because it's being dishonest!
Old 06-20-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtjohn View Post
if i'm paying the fees, i don't believe that would be dishonest since paypal is obtaining the proper fees. i just don't like it that he tacked this on after we had already made the deal.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-20-2017, 04:13 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
I don't know that using "friends and family" is dishonest, although many tend to believe it is.

I've read the current PayPal User Agreement and I see nothing there that prevents two parties from using that method of payment. In fact, it explicitly indicates that it can be used for settling private debts using examples such as rent and restaurant bills. There is no buyer protection, and maybe that is reason enough not to do it, but the only prohibition I see in the User Agreement is that sellers are not permitted to ask buyers to do use that method. If anyone can point me to some portion of the current agreement that says otherwise, I will happily correct my thinking.

Receiving personal payments

If you use your PayPal account to receive payments for the sale of goods and services or accept donations, you must not ask your buyer to send you money using the “send money to a friend or family member.” If you do so, PayPal may remove your PayPal account’s ability to accept payments from friends or family members.

I have purchased from individuals requesting such. Rather than argue the point, I simply amend the purchase amount to cover the fees. No one can complain about that. All the fees are paid and both buyer and seller are content. I have also had people pay me with the "friends and family" option when I did not request it. I suppose they are saying they trust me and intend to do me a favor. I don't know how to remedy that.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:16 PM
Guest 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
if i'm paying the fees, i don't believe that would be dishonest since paypal is obtaining the proper fees. i just don't like it that he tacked this on after we had already made the deal.

play music!
Yes, if someone pays the fees due then there's no problem. The vendor is being dishonest to suggest it in the first place.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:16 PM
Charter Member

I believe that PayPal's Friends & Family fee is designed for the transfer of money, not paying for goods...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 06-20-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Exactly! The buyer is in essence saying your self-respect is only worth $15.00. I have a feeling it is worth way more than that; likely priceless.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:

This is the only answer anyone should need.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:39 PM

Best to use it as intended. I would stay clear.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
even if i pay the fees?
thanks
Yes... You have to use "goods and services." what I'm saying is just up your payment so he nets the Same amount. I'd rather send 515 and have the protection on a 500 item.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic