The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-11-2017, 06:48 AM

Default "What can you play"

"What can you play"

Mention you play a little bit of guitar and its the first question you get ...its starting to get on my nerves .When i first started i covered a few pieces but since i have learned theory i like improvising and creating ,there is often enough going on in a chord never mind a progression and take a whole key i'm happy for ever.I often wonder whether i will ever get to cover all the keys of the C major scale but i'm happy until someone says what can you play ?

What do i do ...do i make others happy and go through the processes of covering music ( which i'm never really happy with ) or do i carry on with my own fantasies of creating some really good original (with influences obviously) pieces of music .

I have paranoid schizophrenia so i'm never going to be a performer as much as i would like to be .
Old 06-11-2017, 07:24 AM

Simple enough question. I would give a simple answer, Irish and American fiddle tunes.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:33 AM

The fool... That usually shuts them up.
Old 06-11-2017, 07:50 AM

Hi Ze,

It is difficult trying to teach yourself to be a musician but I would strongly recommend learning songs in the styles of music you like.

My approach has changed lately so when I get interested in a song I really study the song now and obtain some sheet music (usually musicnotes.com).

Then I study the melody and attempt to learn it off by heart. Then I'll study the piano left hand to see if I can salvage a usable bass line. If it goes well I'll either record the bass line by playing my bass or will paint the notes into Logic Pro X. If there is a guitar solo I learn that off by heart.

Like you I'm a big Dylan fan so right now I'm working on "Everything is broken" from the album Oh Mercy (1989 a great album IMO).

In the past when I played mostly electric guitar I was learning all the scales and modes but I didn't have the knowledge or the ears to apply this knowledge. But this way of working for me is making me play and sing better.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 06-11-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze. View Post
...do i make others happy and go through the processes of covering music ( which i'm never really happy with ) or do i carry on with my own fantasies of creating some really good original (with influences obviously) pieces of music
Just give names to your own pieces of music, then when someone asks you what do you play, reel off those names! Also give yourself an intriguing nom de plume, because the next question asked will be, "Who's that by?"

What I am starting to discover is that the better I get at improvising and creating my own music, the easier it is for me to pick out a cover of something that I like, so playing covers becomes more enjoyable.

The problem with NOT playing covers for me is that I tend to make my own things too easy, e.g. come up with a cool progression, then realise there are no slides, hammer-ons, pull-offs, position shifts, or even notes outside the key. It still sounds OK, but it's plain vanilla, and doesn't develop my technical skills much.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

I tell them "a little blues".

I'd love to perform at some point, but maybe I'll just get a second dog.....

Hey, you can always video yourself to practice and throw it on youtube for here and Facebook (old guitar pickers, for instance) for feedback.....

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-11-2017, 10:52 AM

If people ask that question (and they aren't musicians themselves), they will want to hear a song they know. And they'll be more interested in how you sing it than in you play it.

As long as you can play 2 or 3 simple chords in tune they'll be impressed by your playing, as few people are interested in (or knowledgeable about) levels of instrumental skill. Hey, you can play guitar and they can't! That's all that matters!
If you can't (or won't) sing, then maybe some folksy instrumentals - like HHP's fiddle tunes - would do, because they'll sound happy and energetic. What they'll be distinctly unimpressed with is you strumming through the chord sequence of a vocal tune without singing it, even if you play it brilliantly.

If they are musicians (of any kind) they'll be a lot more interested in your instrumental skills, and might even offer good advice.

Last edited by JonPR; 06-11-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:53 PM

Certainly some sound advice for me in this thread i have read all your reply's many times now thank you all .
Old 06-11-2017, 03:17 PM

I just tell them music. They tend to figure it out from there. The human mind, in the right hands, is pretty gooey.

Doesn't get on my nerves. I figure they're just striking up conversation
Old 06-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Guest 1478

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSemmens View Post
The fool... That usually shuts them up.
Ha! I used that one on the weekend!
Old 06-11-2017, 08:28 PM

I just say, "my own stuff" and a few covers". Instrumentals/fingerstyle..........(often with some small explanation). At my stage in life, I'm not looking to fulfill someone else's expectations to define, "what do you play"? It is what it is and I work to fulfill my own aspirations within that slice of musically enjoyable possibilities.
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 06-11-2017, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze. View Post
"What can you play"

Mention you play a little bit of guitar and its the first question you get ...its starting to get on my nerves .When i first started i covered a few pieces but since i have learned theory i like improvising and creating ,there is often enough going on in a chord never mind a progression and take a whole key i'm happy for ever.I often wonder whether i will ever get to cover all the keys of the C major scale but i'm happy until someone says what can you play ?

What do i do ...do i make others happy and go through the processes of covering music ( which i'm never really happy with ) or do i carry on with my own fantasies of creating some really good original (with influences obviously) pieces of music .

I have paranoid schizophrenia so i'm never going to be a performer as much as i would like to be .

I know what you mean. I've been carrying my guitar as I travel, so even strangers ask. I could only say "I'm just learning" for about a year. But, like you, I've learned theory in order to develop my songwriting and composition and I'm not really interested in perfecting other people's songs to performance level. Here's my strategy. I figured if I can play maybe 3 songs by heart, that'll last me around a family campfire till they believe I can play. After 3, I figure it's legit to say, "sure, I can play that, I need to see the chords...." So my strategy was to pick 3-4 things that have simple repeated chord progressions and learn those well enough. I'm familiar with lots of songs they will know, of course, and I can strum those fine with the chords if they really want. But it's far easier to remember and play my own stuff so that's my focus. Good luck!

Oh, also, I'm a lefty, so unless I have my own guitar, it's unlikely I'll be ambushed with one just lying about.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 06-12-2017, 09:50 AM

Unless you're actually holding the guitar in your hands say nothing. They won't ask "what can you play?" if you don't tell them you play.

If you aren't performing, and casually playing, then play whatever you want to play ... and tell your "audience" they can get 100% of their cover (that they didn't pay) refunded on the way out if they don't like it.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:22 AM

I was at party once when I was in college. I brought out my acoustic and strummed and sang a few well-known songs. They were all simple, three-chord strummy songs since that's all I knew how to play (that's still all I play). People sang along, clapped, etc. and seemed to enjoy it.

Another guy came up and and asked to play my guitar. I handed it to him and he proceeded to demonstrate his mastery of the fretboard by playing all manner of scales all up and down the neck. I was impressed, but when he finished one of the folks at the party said "That was cool, but do you know any songs?"
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 06-12-2017, 11:13 AM

Smile

If you are playing for yourself, what others think or know about it doesn't really matter.

Do what you like and enjoy. I wouldn't let people inquiries annoy you though. If they are showing an interest that is a good thing. Just tell them you have your own eclectic style and you just play for your own enjoyment.

The answer doesn't need to satisfy them and your playing only needs to satisfy you. If you're having fun, that's all that matters - just keep doing what you're doing.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write