The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-09-2017, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

You may want to check out 3 Tracks Music in St. Johns, they opened up about a year ago. The owner is super friendly and they have a nice rotating selection of used amps. I know they recently had one of the lower powered Swarts, and several Silverface champs. I also enjoy going to Old Town Music, nice used selection.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
If you can't crank your Princeton, you probably won't be able to crank a 5-watt amp, either. There's not much difference in volume between 5 watts and 15 watts - the power/volume scale says that any doubling of power results in just a 3db increase in volume. For reference, I have both a PRRI and a Vibro Champ - the Champ sits right on top of the Princeton. Their volumes are very similar. And the Champ does growl at relatively low volumes, but that's due to its circuit, not its power output.
This.

Look into the little 1 watt or half watt jobs, maybe. I dunno. For rocking out at home, I say get a solid state modeller like a Roland Microcube. The tube thing at super low volume is really just a romantic notion.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 06-09-2017, 08:23 AM

Here's one that was good enough for Hendrix. He used his in the studio for a dirty sound and mic'd it. It may be well below your living room style or appearance and it's not tube but at under $100 it does a lot. I see you also added combo so this is not a combo. BUT so many people are looking to spend hundreds of dollars for an amp and these have been around for decades essentially unchanged.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
This.

Look into the little 1 watt or half watt jobs, maybe. I dunno. For rocking out at home, I say get a solid state modeller like a Roland Microcube. The tube thing at super low volume is really just a romantic notion.
This. I've given up on bedroom level (or sleeping baby level) tube amps. Part of it is that I can't stand the sound of small speaker in a boxy cabinet. Granted, this won't look good in your living room, but this is my current low volume setup: Line 6 Helix Rack through a set of studio monitors (or headphones).

Sonic bliss and marital bliss. Win-win.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 06-09-2017, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

You guys are going off on some tangents.

But I did too. I bought the Vintage 47. It's a 12 watt, and it has a very retro pre-60's jazz/blues tone. I mentioned that I am doing the Jamey Aebersold Jazz series instructionals, and this will match up pretty well with my ES-335! It cost me about the same as a used Champ. Nice tweed cabinet!

I have another instrument for sale locally. I'll probably still pick up a Swart 5W or older Fender Champ at some point.

I suppose everyone has a different idea of good tone and good fun. I have played enough small tube amps to know that 5w plus 8" speaker can sound great and work at home. That's what I want to have here.

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
My low watt amp is a Vox Lil Night Train. I run it through an Egnater cab. Lots of fun.
The Lil Night Train is an UNREAL amp. The problem is it was such a hit they tried to make a bigger one. Blech!

The Lil Night Train is still a bargain on the used market. Just be prepared for a possible wait to find one. The matching cab is great too.

Great amp.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagstaffcharli View Post
You guys are going off on some tangents.

But I did too. I bought the Vintage 47. It's a 12 watt, and it has a very retro pre-60's jazz/blues tone. I mentioned that I am doing the Jamey Aebersold Jazz series instructionals, and this will match up pretty well with my ES-335! It cost me about the same as a used Champ. Nice tweed cabinet!

I have another instrument for sale locally. I'll probably still pick up a Swart 5W or older Fender Champ at some point.

I suppose everyone has a different idea of good tone and good fun. I have played enough small tube amps to know that 5w plus 8" speaker can sound great and work at home. That's what I want to have here.

Thanks!
Congrats. Sweet amp. I have a 12w Fender 5e3 Tweed Deluxe head into a 112 Weber speaker and it rips. Tough to get tube breakup without shaking the walls though.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 06-09-2017, 02:23 PM

Hi, I'm near Portland too, there was just a Carr mercury in craigslist
I have one and it is amazing how at 1/10th and 1/2 watt the sound is so good
Just my 2 cents
Regards
Dan
Old 06-09-2017, 02:26 PM

Oops, just saw that you got an amp !
Sorry about that
Enjoy the new sounds!
Old 06-09-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
...I bought the Vintage 47. It's a 12 watt, and it has a very retro pre-60's jazz/blues tone. I mentioned that I am doing the Jamey Aebersold Jazz series instructionals, and this will match up pretty well with my ES-335...I suppose everyone has a different idea of good tone and good fun. I have played enough small tube amps to know that 5w plus 8" speaker can sound great and work at home. That's what I want to have here...
Congrats - and for the rest of the world, "tube tone" isn't necessarily synonymous with massive gain and speaker-cone breakup, and 5 watts isn't too much for home use...

Use it well, often, and (not too) loud...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 06-09-2017 at 05:24 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angiodan View Post
Hi, I'm near Portland too, there was just a Carr mercury in craigslist
I have one and it is amazing how at 1/10th and 1/2 watt the sound is so good
Just my 2 cents
Regards
Dan
I just saw this on Craigslist. Looks awesome, but out of my range in terms of money.

I'm still looking for the right crunchy amp, but I do need to sell at least one of the things I have on the block before I go buying something else.

I played the Vintage 47 for 90 minutes this morning. Awesome for playing these jazz excercises and also for playing along with an early Buddy Guy record!

Dimed, this thing has killer retro blues crunch, but it's way too loud to do it at home.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
You may want to check out 3 Tracks Music in St. Johns, they opened up about a year ago. The owner is super friendly and they have a nice rotating selection of used amps. I know they recently had one of the lower powered Swarts, and several Silverface champs. I also enjoy going to Old Town Music, nice used selection.
I love Old Town and Centaur. I did not know about 3 Tracks though. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited by flagstaffcharli; 06-09-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:09 PM

Out of my three low watt tube amps, my favorite for my ES 335 is the Vox AC4HW1. Nice clean tones and awesome overdrive. Bedroom friendly volume. Perfect marriage of guit and amp IMO.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Out of my three low watt tube amps, my favorite for my ES 335 is the Vox AC4HW1. Nice clean tones and awesome overdrive. Bedroom friendly volume. Perfect marriage of guit and amp IMO.
That looks like a contender if I could find one used! I didn't care for the regular AC4 versions I tried, but this looks like it is actually a different amp and cabinet beyond the handwiring.

Any thoughts on this one? This is something I've never heard of: Panama Conquerer
Old 06-09-2017, 05:54 PM

Quote:
That looks like a contender if I could find one used! I didn't care for the regular AC4 versions I tried, but this looks like it is actually a different amp and cabinet beyond the handwiring.
Definitely not the regular AC4. I was able to get mine through GC with a 20% discount, so only paid $640.

They are very versatile with the Hot/Cool switch, top boost circuit, master volume, hi and low inputs, 12" Greenback, bigger birch-ply cab. also comes with dust cover and Vox footswitch.

A few good discussions over at TDPRI.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars