The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-05-2017, 06:14 AM

Default Thumb picks

Hi

I know this, as a preference, has been discussed but I have a specific question re using these picks.

I tried them recently and find I much prefer using them for tone and apparent ease of playing. However, I have found a little pain at ehe ball of my thumb since then and I'm not sure if its coincidence or the pick. I have had tendonitis in the past and obviously want to avoid a recurrence if possible.

Seems to me that the action of the thumb is quite different using a pick compared to nail/flesh picking.

Does anyone know if these picks can aggravate tendonitis etc?
Old 06-05-2017, 08:09 AM

First of all, I am no expert. I am an older person (65 years) and have had some hand issues in the past (trigger finger pinky right hand). When I got back into guitar about three years ago, I decided to focus on finger style with a thumb pick. The thumb motion with a pick, for me, is different from using just the thumb. With the pick, my thumb motion is more parallel to the strings. After the initial first two to three weeks, when I was getting used to it, I have never experienced a problem and I play 2-3 hours a day. In the beginning, I did have a few problems finding a pick that fit comfortably and I had to alter them. Other players may not have had this problem. I finally settled on the Fred Kelly Slick Pick. I use the orange which is their middle stiffness delron. I have normal size hands an thumb but their large size fits me comfortably without twirling around or choking my thumb. They also last forever. I have never worn one out. I only put on a new one when I lose the old one. Try a few more styles and makes of picks. Perhaps you can find one that helps with your issue.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:48 AM

Thank you for your reply. I will persevere and try some other picks. I'm not sure if the greater angle of my thumb pointing downwards when using no pick makes it less stressful for me or not. I will just have to try. IIRC there was some well - known player who said picks gave him problems but I might be wrong ( or he might be! )

Thanks again
Old 06-06-2017, 06:27 AM

The angle of the thumb relative to the strings is the main difference. Using a thumb pick requires a whole different hand position to using the thumbnail - the wrist will be straighter and closer to the guitar.
Also, the movement of the thumb is different. Without a pick, the thumb will tend to bend at its middle joint as you pick. With a pick attached, the thumb will tend to be straight, and move more from the wrist.
The hand should be able to adapt, provided you don't have any unnecessary tension or ridigity anywhere - so that's worth investigating.

You might also find it's easier if the thumbpick is in a different position on the thumb. Some like to wear it near the tip of the thumb (so the thumb movement can feel a little more like using the nail), some like to wear it on the joint to give a firmer attack.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:06 PM

I quite like the multicolor Golden Gate thumbpick. Too many thumbpicks pinch when new,I put them under hot water and bend until it fits the thumb the way I like. Does anybody else do this or have a better method?
Old 06-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

I rough up the inside of the thumbpick with very coarse sandpaper so that it can be less tight on my thumb and still not slip so easily. The tip of my thumb used to turn red/purple in just 15 minutes. No I can practice for a few hours. I prefer the Fred Kelly Slick Picks.
Old 06-17-2017, 02:00 PM

I've used Herco heavy thumbpicks for many years. Most need adjusting in order to be comfortable- snug but not tight! I hold them over a flame, but now that JPP.WAS.HERE said you could do it with hot water, that's how I'll do it from now on!

I find they help with tendinitis and other strain on wrists because they allow a better position (not claw-like) when fingerpicking.

Although I like the Herco picks for the size and position, they do wear out relatively quickly, so I am willing to try the Golden Gates.

My (old) tunes

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write