The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-01-2017, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
i have a neighbour that says my daughters blow dryer is too loud and that it wakes him up at 7:30 in the morning. He has suggested she blow dry her hair at night before 10. Also the leaves from a tree on my property fall on his lawn. My dog sometimes looks like it's going to bark. My car shouldn't be black. I cut my grass too long or too short and sometimes over the property line. Oh and my kids play outside. The newspaper delivery guy looks suspicious and I should get a new person or cancel the paper.

Where do you live the lady sounds like a wonderful person.
Next time he gives you all that great advice, tell him you have a neighbor that won't mind his own business and ask him what he would advise you should do. When he gives you his advice...repeat it to his face.

....or, you could wave your hand in front of your face while he's talking and ask if he brushed his teeth this morning.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 06-01-2017 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:32 AM

I had a friend with a similar problem. He was able to reduce the noise problem by installing new, extra-thick ( I think it is fire-rated) drywall directly over the existing drywall on all the connecting walls. He lost about 3/4" of floor width in each room. he had to install outlet and switch box extensions in each room (fortunately the wiring was long enough to allow this), and he had to remove and re-install his baseboard.

I had a "party wall" between me and my condo neighbor - no noise at all. This was made of staggered vertical 2x4s in a 5 1/2" (typical 2x6) wide wall space with 2x6 top and bottom plates. Every other 2x4 contacted one side or the other; no stud touched both drywall surfaces. There was 5 1/2"" of soundproofing insulation woven between. This option costs you just over 6" of floor space.

Neither of these will eliminate the problem, but it will reduce the effect.
Old 06-01-2017, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I had a friend with a similar problem. He was able to reduce the noise problem by installing new, extra-thick ( I think it is fire-rated) drywall directly over the existing drywall on all the connecting walls. He lost about 3/4" of floor width in each room. he had to install outlet and switch box extensions in each room (fortunately the wiring was long enough to allow this), and he had to remove and re-install his baseboard.

I had a "party wall" between me and my condo neighbor - no noise at all. This was made of staggered vertical 2x4s in a 5 1/2" (typical 2x6) wide wall space with 2x6 top and bottom plates. Every other 2x4 contacted one side or the other; no stud touched both drywall surfaces. There was 5 1/2"" of soundproofing insulation woven between. This option costs you just over 6" of floor space.

Neither of these will eliminate the problem, but it will reduce the effect.
Complete elimination is required. And that's why we're looking at farms!

By the way, I think this noise issue comes down to alcohol consumption. It appears they're dead quite during the week but the lady gets real loud one weekends. On a few occasions, I've seen the husband carry out boxes full of beer and wine bottles. Poor dude.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I did this to decrease the amount of noise that travelled between a bathroom and an adjacent bedroom. It didn't eliminate all sound transmission, but it helped. It meant that we lost the very small amount of space between the door frame and the wall. Hardly noticeable.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
Most definitely. But the funny thing is she's dead quite during the week. If I can only figure out how to stop her from drinking because I think that's what's causing her to get loud. It's unfortunate but we will be moving and we will make sure a nice party loving family gets our house.

There are lots of folks wishing they could figure out how to get other folks to stop drinking.

Good luck with that and if you succeed I know I will be interested!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 06-01-2017, 01:47 PM

Did anyone have success with a white noise maker??? We will consider buying one.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

My wife's friend had an apartment and she told us that the upstairs neighbor would turn on the vacuum and leave it running and not moving, just running.

I remembered this story when reading your post.

It seemed like such bizarre behavior but I think they were using it to mask the sound of whatever they were doing/saying.

Neighbors are weird (said the guy on THIS side of the wall/fence).

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 06-01-2017, 02:25 PM

There is some old book that has some wise sayings. I took a sentence out of it and put it into action. "Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,..." So I took my next door neighbor's trash bin and recycling bin off the street where trash collecting folks left them and placed them right by their entrance. That's what my old neighbor used to do for us. I just want peace between two families now habe to live next to each other.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:47 PM

I was a cop in Sydney for 10 years so I have probably heard this scenario hundreds of times, as your local cops would have. My advice, move, get away, get out, don't look back. I've seen noise complaints and neighbors disputes ruin and take lives. I've seen homes destroyed as a result of noise complaints and I've seen relationships and families ruined. The kind of noise your neighbors are making is almost impossible to police (in my state, and Country) For a noise abatement to be issued the noise has to be 'offensive'. This is determined by what a prudent person would believe. It can be offensive due to the time it's occurring but still a womans voice is not going to cut it. Loud music late at night = offensive, domestic violence = offensive, loud party = offensive. Womans voice talking in her own home?

Last edited by Alex6strings; 06-01-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:00 PM

Thanks for your input, officer. As I was reading your post, I wished it wasn't true but you're the one who has seen it all on the field so I'll take your word with seriousness. We are looking for the best option. We have started looking into financing.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
Thanks for your input, officer. As I was reading your post, I wished it wasn't true but you're the one who has seen it all on the field so I'll take your word with seriousness. We are looking for the best option. We have started looking into financing.
Purchase five acres and build in the middle. Whatever problems you have will be your own making.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex6strings View Post
I was a cop in Sydney for 10 years so I have probably heard this scenario hundreds of times, as your local cops would have. My advice, move, get away, get out, don't look back. I've seen noise complaints and neighbors disputes ruin and take lives. I've seen homes destroyed as a result of noise complaints and I've seen relationships and families ruined. The kind of noise your neighbors are making is almost impossible to police (in my state, and Country) For a noise abatement to be issued the noise has to be 'offensive'. This is determined by what a prudent person would believe. It can be offensive due to the time it's occurring but still a womans voice is not going to cut it. Loud music late at night = offensive, domestic violence = offensive, loud party = offensive. Womans voice talking in her own home?
I have been pondering what you've said and am bothered by the fact that there will not be a way to remedy the situation, except to move. I guess people will just be themselves and won't change. What's loud to us is probably not loud to them. We'll see what happens this weekend. Ever since we call the cops, they have been dead silent but then again they are dead silent during the week. I am praying that they keep the trend going moving forward. I do not want to snap because I fear what I may do. If the analysis of the cops is correct, they will try to bait me into doing something stupid. I sometimes just snap and go all out. I hope to be back next week ALIVE and with good news.
Old 06-02-2017, 02:00 PM

Always keep calm and stay in control no matter what. Unfortunately these things can escalate rapidly but you need to make sure that doesn't happen for yourself and your family. Which means being nice, biting your tongue and do what you're doing, call the Police, let them handle it.

I hope you don't have to relocate to fix this. I also hope you don't have to live with this tension for much longer. Don't think too much about my advice, I'm just pleased you understand how these things 'can' turn out badly and end up serious. Hopefully your situation goes the other way and everyone behaves reasonably and respectfully and life goes on. Go with your gut and stay calm, you'll work it out.
Old 06-02-2017, 04:02 PM

Sounds like no fun. I would read my covenants and rules. Frequently there are provisions for neighbor's who deter from your enjoyment of your property. They may be able to be fined. Additionally, while the police are never fun, they are employed to handle this and there 24/7. Document and if they need a written reminder, have the cited for disturbing the peace and take them to court. @sses are troublesome enough when they're driving around you let alone living next to you. Good luck and buy some earplugs.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:25 PM

From my past experience noise complaints are the number one neighbor/neighbor problem. Some are clueless, other just dont care. Usually it does not end until they move and are a problem to someone else. They never change. I know this is not advice but it just seems to be the way it is.

Last edited by GHS; 06-02-2017 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic