The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-29-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
My problem was not getting the tires on edge, it was that I kept finding myself creeping up onto the edges of the berms in corners and occasionally sliding over the top. The bike is taller, so riding a line that I felt would keep the bike well planted had the tires too far to the outside. My moving in let the tires get a good solid bite on the trail so I could confidently lean the bike and rip around corners like I should.

On a side note, the intermountain west has trail riding unlike any other place I've lived. East Coast and Puget Sound are somewhat similar in that they're heavily forested and can get soupy when it rains. Wet roots are nasty, too. Here, the soil dries extremely fast after a downpour - dusty riding a day after a thunderstorm, like yesterday. The grassland trails tend to wear into a deep C shape, and rocks abound. Some of the stuff I rode Saturday was literally rock slides that they had kicked enough rocks off of to make a sonewhat flat path through. 29ers roll so well through that stuff, and the short stem and wide bars give great control. I'm sold on the new geometry, finally. It took a couple of adjustments on my part to make it happen.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Sounds like you've got it - press the edges of your tires just like you do edges of skis.

I don't know where you ride by Idaho Falls but I used to spend 1 - 3 months a year in the Tetons and know that geography and riding. Where I rode today being out of the way of trees is a challenge with going fast on big bikes.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Sounds like you've got it - press the edges of your tires just like you do edges of skis.

I don't know where you ride by Idaho Falls but I used to spend 1 - 3 months a year in the Tetons and know that geography and riding. Where I rode today being out of the way of trees is a challenge with going fast on big bikes.

I've been riding down near Pocatello until the other areas finish drying out after this epic winter. I'm planning an overnight trip to Jackson Hole to go riding in June, and some other trips over the summer.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 05-30-2017, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Custom steel and titanium road bikes here.....
Old 05-30-2017, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Those are great! Really like the way that Hampsten looks. What's your favorite to ride?
Old 05-30-2017, 06:18 PM
Charter Member

The Hampsten just fits like a glove and I forget I'm on it. The Spectrum Ti is light and smooth and the Di2 electronic shifting is great. The Hampsten by a nose!
Old 06-01-2017, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMKC View Post
The Hampsten just fits like a glove and I forget I'm on it. The Spectrum Ti is light and smooth and the Di2 electronic shifting is great. The Hampsten by a nose!
Looks like a sweet ride!
Old 06-02-2017, 07:46 AM

I could not help but think of these posts last night.

The context: The brewery a mile from my driveway is a granddaddy among the modern micros and a cool scene with leftovers that pre-date it from current microbrewery popularity such as kids and dogs allowed in bier garten and any industrial look is not fake. The place was an egg processing plant until the late 1970s.

Bike rides, live music and food are hosted Tue & Thur including off road to trailhead 2 mi away. Prior to and after the rides there are an easy 75 - 200+ bikes there. It's total entertainment to look at the spectrum of bikes, ages, body types and the kids they're wearing.

It's all more entertaining because it has been surrounded by new condos and apartments and our neighborhood has had some turnover. I do not side with with a new ornery and noisy minority who think the live music, freight trains passing, skate park and bikes must go. That was all there first and that's what makes it a great place to live for most of us.

Last night again proved the importance of your bike engine vs bike. I'm sure riders here know how fast and bad ***** some are. I'm perpetually eating dust of the A group or waiting for the B group. I was happy to be fast for a change and leave the sea of parked bikes after 1 beer.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Last night again proved the importance of your bike engine vs bike. I'm sure riders here know how fast and bad ***** some are.
That reminds me of a casual "nobody gets left behind" forest trails ride. I'd posted on a local forum that I'm going for a ride - feel free to join, I ain't going nowhere fast. Surprisingly, about half a dozen others showed up. One of them was on some sort of a ladies hybrid bike with steel fenders and all. He was the most skilled rider in that bunch, and even rode the one spot where everybody else walked...
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-02-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
That reminds me of a casual "nobody gets left behind" forest trails ride. I'd posted on a local forum that I'm going for a ride - feel free to join, I ain't going nowhere fast. Surprisingly, about half a dozen others showed up. One of them was on some sort of a ladies hybrid bike with steel fenders and all. He was the most skilled rider in that bunch, and even rode the one spot where everybody else walked...
These brewery rides have an interesting or stands out guy show up. He rides a 1980s Bridgestone hybrid bike with his lunch box on the rack. He totally shreds and hangs with riders worth $ 5-8000 on the hoof. He just replaces what he breaks and keeps riding same bike. He's known to be much same with the road riders. He doesn't drink when at the brewery.

We've learned he was a top ranked moto rider in the early 1980s. In recent years he had a doctor read him the riot act, and his old used Bridgestone bike was (is) the path to solving problems with weight, heart and alcohol. At these brewery rides it's clear some spend hundreds or $1000+ just on their shoes and kit. This guy wears cargo shorts, basic sneakers, and obviously free t shirts from charity events or promotions.

This guy has some who take themselves too seriously not liking him and considering his innocence or naiveté a bother. He's got others who think he's totally bad ***** and what riding is really about. I'm with the latter.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:17 AM

My kind of pedal power.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
My kind of pedal power.

An associate has a similar machine. Imagine having full control of it, where and when you use it.
Old 06-03-2017, 11:27 PM

Default Sand Dune Ride

I recently sold this Fatbike, bought it in 2007 from Wildfire Designs/Mark Gronewald in Alaska - the guy who actually copyrighted the word "Fatbike". All steel frame built by DeSalvo for Wildfire. Six years ago on Memorial Day I was probably the first person to ever ride the pedestrian section of the Silver Lake Sand Dunes on Lake Michigan with permission from the MDNR. I figured out a way to attach a regulation safety flag to the bike. I wasn't riding in the ORV section, but did go where the MacWoods Dune rides go, so I wanted to use a flag.

The bike never quite fit me right, my wife was using it, but I recently had to get her a new one that fit better. Sometimes stock sizes never quite work out, which is why I got the bikes I posted earlier.

The music I did using my guitars, Chapman Stick, MIDI keyboard, and drum software, plus some loops in Apple Logic. No tags for Vimeo here, so here are the links:

https://vimeo.com/25541943
https://vimeo.com/26563583
Old 06-24-2017, 06:34 PM

Unexpected NBD. An incredible price on a maybe ridden 6 times bike came up.

The seat and gearing need to change. Funny thing about tires saying team issue is they really are. Retail versions are supposed to hit shelves next week.

The first ride was impressive - bike and tires. Fuels became a lot more bike, and what was the Remedy 29 got more playful and named Fuel EX. We've loved our 2016 Remedy 29 so this will be great to have his and her bikes closely matched.

It's so fun you wouldn't know it's wagon wheels if not for photo 2.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Sweet! Right on man. Looks killer. Look forward to photos of you taking it out.

My new one will be done by EOD tomorrow. Photo to follow!
Old 06-25-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
That's quite an aptly named bike 'cause I'm sure I've seen Captain Kirk riding one. looks great!

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic