The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-16-2017, 06:05 PM

Default Harbinger MuV MLS800 Line Array PA

I was in GC today and they had a stack of them priced at $599.

Harbinger MuV MLS800 Line Array PA
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinge...00000016038.gc

Looks pretty darn cool for small gigs and backyard jams.
2 Inputs and Bluetooth so can use it with my iPad as a music player too.

I can tell by my searches here and elsewhere they are OK product.
But most of the reviews were when they first came out a few months ago.
Not much talk since.

I have a powered QSC K10 speaker and small Yamaha passive mixer that I currently use..
The MLS800 looks a lot sleeker than the speaker on the Tripod stand.
Plus I imagine the sound on the unit would be better ... Or maybe more fuller (better low end?).

I'm tempted to grab one and try it out... Can always return it.

Not expecting pristine pro sound... So is this a "deal or no deal"?

Last edited by JakeStone; 06-16-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:33 PM
Musical minimalist

I would spend the extra $$ on a second K10 - I'd rather sound great than look slick

Old 06-16-2017, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Why do all these makers think that we want to have a channel for an ipod or somesuch?
Give me four clean lin/mice channels with phantom and we're talking business.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:25 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Give me four clean lin/mice channels with phantom and we're talking business.
I agree - one of the only one piece units out there that has most of the features I'd want (ie - 48v phantom) is the Carvin AG300 - but for that kind of money you can have a decent PA if you are patient, with better features and much better sound. Seems many these days don't want to carry much, so the smaller the better. I'm happy to lug gear if it makes me sound better.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:40 PM

I purchased and returned this unit. On paper it was fine, and actually sounded OK. But, within 24 hours, it developed a hiss and I had to return it. I ended up with the JBL Eon One. If you are used to professional QSC gear, I would not waste my time with this unit. If you want a line array unit like this one, I think any musician used to pro gear would be better off with the HK Audio, JBL, LD Maui, or Bose Compact unit. If your budget doesn't allow for that, consider a smaller K10.2 or K8.2. I think you'll only end up frustrated and have to return. I think this is for kids who play in their parent's basements. It's not close to professional audio equipment. It wasn't even good enough for my personal rehearsal use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-17-2017, 06:01 AM

Yep... I have to admit I was intrigued by the cheap price.

Read Martingitdave's thread ... GAS subsides..
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=460881
Old 06-17-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I purchased and returned this unit. On paper it was fine, and actually sounded OK. But, within 24 hours, it developed a hiss and I had to return it. I ended up with the JBL Eon One. If you are used to professional QSC gear, I would not waste my time with this unit. If you want a line array unit like this one, I think any musician used to pro gear would be better off with the HK Audio, JBL, LD Maui, or Bose Compact unit. If your budget doesn't allow for that, consider a smaller K10.2 or K8.2. I think you'll only end up frustrated and have to return. I think this is for kids who play in their parent's basements. It's not close to professional audio equipment. It wasn't even good enough for my personal rehearsal use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I posted info on this unit even before GC/SW/MF had them. They're ok. The one I tested had no hiss, but I only ran a fairly nice Martin acoustic through it, no mic testing. At $599 that's a fantastic price. The initial price was $799 when it was first offered last year and I see GC has them on sale, whereas a few others don't.

Overall the unit's not bad. In my testing it against an Eon 1 & Bose L1 Compact, the Harbinger had a sharper treble drop off when you go past it sideways. The JBL & Bose was at 180 degrees of horizontal treble tone from my acoustic plugged in tests.

Looks like the Eon 1 is going to be dropped for the new Eon that has more discrete mic channels & is also battery powered. That's why you're seeing them at $899 right now. I got mine with the roller board case & totally love it. Tons more power than the L1 Compact.

If you don't need a lot of power or audio 'umph', go with the Bose. If you don't have a lot of scratch & want to get into an array system, go with the Harbinger. If you can scrape up the $$$ or get zero financing, get the current version of the Eon 1. You'll be glad you did.

The thing I like about the current Eon 1 is the 1 stop shopping, i.e. the array stick fits in the subwoofer. That's overly cool. Same thing for the new Eon 1 coming.

You might want to call MF & ask them if they're closing out the Harbinger units any time in the near future or what's going on. They're very chatty at MF & could give you some insider info. The price might go even lower. If that's the case, I just might buy one for fun & backup in case my beloved Eon 1 melts down, which is not likely but we're dealing with electronic components so one can never have too many backups, so to speak.

Alvarez ABT60 Bari Nat/ABT60E Rust-burst
Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio Zircote
D'Angelico Lexington Dred
Ibanez AC240 OM hog
2x Martin DSR Dred rosewood
Martin DSM Dred hog
Martin full Ovangkol Dred
Martin D-35 (2019)
Yamaha A5M Jap Cust Shop Dred
Yamaha A3M Dred
Yamaha A4K full Koa Dred
Bose S1 Pro
JBL Eon 1 original (2 each)

Objects in the future are closer then they appear.

Last edited by TheShadowKnows; 06-17-2017 at 08:05 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-17-2017, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowKnows View Post
I posted info on this unit even before GC/SW/MF had them. They're ok. The one I tested had no hiss, but I only ran a fairly nice Martin acoustic through it, no mic testing. At $599 that's a fantastic price. The initial price was $799 when it was first offered last year and I see GC has them on sale, whereas a few others don't.

Overall the unit's not bad. In my testing it against an Eon 1 & Bose L1 Compact, the Harbinger had a sharper treble drop off when you go past it sideways. The JBL & Bose was at 180 degrees of horizontal treble tone from my acoustic plugged in tests.

Looks like the Eon 1 is going to be dropped for the new Eon that has more discrete mic channels & is also battery powered. That's why you're seeing them at $899 right now. I got mine with the roller board case & totally love it. Tons more power than the L1 Compact.

If you don't need a lot of power or audio 'umph', go with the Bose. If you don't have a lot of scratch & want to get into an array system, go with the Harbinger. If you can scrape up the $$$ or get zero financing, get the current version of the Eon 1. You'll be glad you did.

The thing I like about the current Eon 1 is the 1 stop shopping, i.e. the array stick fits in the subwoofer. That's overly cool. Same thing for the new Eon 1 coming.

You might want to call MF & ask them if they're closing out the Harbinger units any time in the near future or what's going on. They're very chatty at MF & could give you some insider info. The price might go even lower. If that's the case, I just might buy one for fun & backup in case my beloved Eon 1 melts down, which is not likely but we're dealing with electronic components so one can never have too many backups, so to speak.

This is good advice too. Shadow was the one who introduced us all to the product. And, like him, I felt the JBL was a better fit. Note that the new JBL Eon One purports to have solved the mixer woes with the current model. It also includes a rechargeable battery system. However, the price is now $1500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-18-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowKnows View Post

At $599 that's a fantastic price. The initial price was $799 when it was first offered last year and I see GC has them on sale, whereas a few others don't.

If you don't have a lot of scratch & want to get into an array system, go with the Harbinger.
Thanks for the reply.... I don't have a lot of "scratch" !

Would be nice to have a full PA that sounds "decent" and is easy to set up. For my non-pro needs....

I know MartingitDave had a hiss issue. But I wonder if that was a isolated incident ... Since I have not heard much negative on the MLS800.

In comparison in this "low price" range... I do see the Maui 5 by LD Systems for under $600.

I was also thinking of the Fishman SA220 .. See them used for $500-550.

I am wondering if any of these would sound better overall (vocals and guitar) than my single QSC K10? ... I could use the K10 for a monitor ?
Old 06-18-2017, 06:01 PM

Default Harbinger MuV MLS800 Line Array PA

All those options in that price range will work. I'd probably take the SA220 package with the stand and wheel bag. That's real pro gear, if you like the tone. I suppose my unit having hiss might be isolated. It's worth a try and did sound decent, if you don't go for the SA or Maui 5.

Last edited by martingitdave; 06-18-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
All those options in that price range will work. I'd probably take the SA220 package with the stand and wheel bag. That's real pro gear, if you like the tone. I suppose my unit having hiss might be isolated. It's worth a try and did sound decent, if you don't go for the SA or Maui 5.
Well... Choice comes down to Bose Compact, Harbinger 800 or the JBL Eon.

My problem is...... I don't NEED one of these Line arrays .. I WANT one of these! * there's a difference

I have a $100 Gift card at Guitar Center... Plus I have an older Fender Mustang III modeling amp I can trade.....so I prob end up just going over there and buying.

So this darn cheapie Harbinger is calling and if it sounds halfway decent then I save $350-400 less than the Bose and JBL...... Last chance to talk me out of it! (just kidding).
Old 06-24-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Well... Choice comes down to Bose Compact, Harbinger 800 or the JBL Eon.

My problem is...... I don't NEED one of these Line arrays .. I WANT one of these! * there's a difference

I have a $100 Gift card at Guitar Center... Plus I have an older Fender Mustang III modeling amp I can trade.....so I prob end up just going over there and buying.

So this darn cheapie Harbinger is calling and if it sounds halfway decent then I save $350-400 less than the Bose and JBL...... Last chance to talk me out of it! (just kidding).

Give it a try. I understand the draw of these things. I had the same reaction, as you can read from my post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification