The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-08-2016, 01:53 PM

I hated exploited violence.

Don't Think Twice It's Alright
Old 01-08-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I'll watch it when it hits On Demand. My only concern is that his last several movies have been caricatures of his better, early films. He has lost wry and subtle and gone for silly and stupid.
This one's upper middle class , or lower upper . Definitely above upper lower .
Below Kill Bill 1&2, Reservoir Dogs, and Pulp Fiction , but above most of the others . Agree about his recent trends. YMMV on this one , but it's not very sillly .
Old 01-08-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
You must have misunderstood the post you quoted. He simply said "some love him, some hate him"
Actually , I said that in a more roundabout way, but thank you , all the same .
I hate being ploddingly literal all the time, so that, I aint
Old 01-08-2016, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shelton View Post
QT gets a lot of love and a lot of hate . I might say there are two kinds of people in the world, but that's stupid So I'll say there are two kinds of QT fans in the world : those that like him and those that don't (not quite as stupid !)
Not hating, just meh.

Great cinematography.
Old 01-08-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Growler View Post
Not hating, just meh.

Great cinematography.
Sure, and I was being over-simplistic . Hopefully , if he stops after two more films, they will continue what , to me, seems like an upward arc that this one
brings. Who knows, he could cheese up again , though .
Old 02-03-2016, 09:41 AM

The guitar used in the Hateful Eight...was a real 1870's martin and was really destroyed.

Quote:
“What was supposed to happen was we were supposed to go up to that point, cut and trade guitars and smash the double,” explains the film’s Academy Award-winning sound mixer Mark Ulano, as quoted in SSNInsider.com. “Well, somehow that didn’t get communicated to Kurt, so when you see that happen on the frame, Jennifer’s reaction is genuine.”

The victim was an authentic Martin from the 1870s, on loan from the Martin Guitar Museum, Ulano said, and everyone was pretty freaked out when they realized what happened. “Tarantino was in a corner of the room with a funny curl on his lips, because he got something out of it with the performance,” Ulano added.

Martin Museum representatives asked only two questions when informed about the destruction of the loaner, according to SSNInsider.com: “Do you need another one?" And "Can we please have all the pieces to display in our museum?”

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole- Les Paul.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:17 AM

I can't stop thinking about this, for some reason. I mean, it is just a thing, but it makes me sick inside.

Not sure anyone posted this, but the Martin Museum later announced that they would no longer, under any circumstances, loan antique guitars to film makers. And, the guitar was unrestorable, even as a display piece.

I don't think I'll want to watch the movie because of it. I won't even be able to care about the plot, just have anxiety over the guitar. <:|

My (old) tunes
Old 06-21-2017, 07:33 AM

Kind of like Star Wars. Perfecting blowing up the Deathstar again. I'm referring specifically to Reservoir Dogs.

That being said, He did perfect it... Well, at least refined it to as far as anyone humanely couild. Excessive Gore? Check! Excessive Cruelty? Check! Great Quentin T movie? Check!

The funny thing is that the story is so "entertaining", it was only about 3/4 in to the movie that I realized how beautifully it was filmed.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meredith View Post
I can't stop thinking about this, for some reason. I mean, it is just a thing, but it makes me sick inside.

Not sure anyone posted this, but the Martin Museum later announced that they would no longer, under any circumstances, loan antique guitars to film makers. And, the guitar was unrestorable, even as a display piece.

I don't think I'll want to watch the movie because of it. I won't even be able to care about the plot, just have anxiety over the guitar. <:|

It was an accident on a movie set...it wasn't intentional, devious or malicious behavior...

Martin has decided they won't be doing any loans of museum guitars in the future...makes sense to me...

But, I can't fathom why an individual would let the incident affect them personally?

Overall, I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, and I saw it after I'd read about the guitar being real...
Old 06-22-2017, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Funny that this thread came back up. We just watched the movie again over the weekend on cable.

Yes, her reaction and shear terror on her face to the guitar being destroyed was priceless. That was real emotion and not acting.

I liked the movie.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:29 AM

I think the best movie he has done is 'Jackie Brown'. The characters and their actions all seem very real and engaging without over the top caricatures. The calm, cool Robert Forster set opposite the wild Samuel Jackson was a great pairing and you had to love Pam Grier. Robert DeNiro and Bridget Fonda had some great scenes as well.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I think the best movie he has done is 'Jackie Brown'. The characters and their actions all seem very real and engaging without over the top caricatures. The calm, cool Robert Forster set opposite the wild Samuel Jackson was a great pairing and you had to love Pam Grier. Robert DeNiro and Bridget Fonda had some great scenes as well.
It was an Elmore Leonard book. It's fun to read the book and then watch the movie. Not saying everybody would agree, but the adaptation is pretty darn good compared to a lot of movies.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Wrote about this last year but I see this topic resurfaced.

I hate QT's style. I think he loves gratuitous gore, sex, violence and disgusting-ness.

He's worse than a drunk high school jock trying to use shocking words and scenes.

I've hated every movie he ever made.

I hated this one the least, so there's my endorsement.

(This captive crowd thriller is based upon the English country house murder scenario, which I love)

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-22-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:

I just watched "Jackie Brown" again on Amazon last night, and I agree about it being Tarantino's best movie...

As already said, it was adapted from an Elmore Leonard novel, "Rum Punch"...

I'm a fan of Elmore Leonard too, and even he said that "Jackie Brown" was closer to his original work than just about any other movie adaptation of his novels...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic