The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-10-2017, 12:34 PM

Default How to I get that Strat front pickup sound?

After being on an acoustic guitar only journey for many years, I am starting to play my electric again once in a while.

I have been playing/learning blues mostly as that's what I find the most fun to play these days.

I currently have a '78 Gibson SG with dual DiMarzio Super Sistortion Dual Sound Humbuckers I has installed back '82. With the coil tap switches I can get single coil tones.

I am playing through a Lab Series L5 amp, which has a very unique range of tones. Lab Series was a joint venture between Moog and Gibson set up to make solid state amps that sounded like tube amps. BB King played through one live just like mine all the way to the end.

What I would love to do is get that Stevie Ray/John Mayer front Strat pick up sound, but cant seem to get there with the SG plugged right into the amp.

Any suggestions on stomp boxes/effects that might help me get there with this set up?
Taylor 616e (2013)
Taylor 150e (2014)
Martin 000-28EC (1997)
Washburn D-21 (1980 Tiger Maple Sunburst)
Washburn D-10S/12 (2003)
Gibson SG (1978, 1983 Dimarzio SD Dual Sound pu's)
2016 Fender Telecaster (Special Edition Deluxe Ash, Baja controls, Maverick tremolo)
Old 02-10-2017, 01:34 PM

Plug in a Strat!
Old 02-10-2017, 01:56 PM

That sound is iconic for a reason. Get a Strat.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 02-10-2017, 02:23 PM

Well right now the option of paying a couple hundred dollars is better than spending a couple thousand.

To some degree, I have an easy to play electric guitar with a front single coil pickup. There has to be some kind of gizmo that can get me closer to that Strat tone.
Taylor 616e (2013)
Taylor 150e (2014)
Martin 000-28EC (1997)
Washburn D-21 (1980 Tiger Maple Sunburst)
Washburn D-10S/12 (2003)
Gibson SG (1978, 1983 Dimarzio SD Dual Sound pu's)
2016 Fender Telecaster (Special Edition Deluxe Ash, Baja controls, Maverick tremolo)
Old 02-10-2017, 05:10 PM

Distract the daughter and trade one of her guitars for a Strat.....oooh I am norty.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:31 PM

you need a tube amp to get all the glory like a fender deluxe reverb

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
2016 Recording King ROS-G9M
Old 02-10-2017, 05:32 PM

I don't think you will ever get a strat sound from a Gibson SG. Those humbucker pickups with split coils never really seem to match real single coils imho. You could do worse than a Standard Strat they are only £500 in the UK.
Or even a Squier if you can handle not having the Fender logo.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 02-10-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket launcher View Post
I currently have a '78 Gibson SG with dual DiMarzio Super Sistortion Dual Sound Humbuckers I has installed back '82. With the coil tap switches I can get single coil tones.

What I would love to do is get that Stevie Ray/John Mayer front Strat pick up sound, but cant seem to get there with the SG plugged right into the amp.

Any suggestions on stomp boxes/effects that might help me get there with this set up?
May I offer this idea...its not going to happen...because you are trying to use a high k/output hb to get a low k single coil sound. It is hard to clean up a dirty ....and thus much easier to dirty a clean.

Its hard to decrease a hot signal...perhaps try a parametric eq.

But ya, get a strat with low wind k pu's
Old 02-10-2017, 06:12 PM

Quite frankly, I'd be thinking in terms of using one (or more) of those "around the house" guitars as trading stock toward a Strat of some kind - I've seen primo MIM Standards routinely in the low $300's, about as much as a new Squier CV (which can be iffy IME - the good ones I've played have been really good, the bad ones were total crap) - since I strongly doubt you're going to be totally (tonally?) satisfied with anything else...
Old 02-10-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Quite frankly, I'd be thinking in terms of using one (or more) of those "around the house" guitars as trading stock toward a Strat of some kind - I've seen primo MIM Standards routinely in the low $300's, about as much as a new Squier CV (which can be iffy IME - the good ones I've played have been really good, the bad ones were total crap) - since I strongly doubt you're going to be totally (tonally?) satisfied with anything else...
The G&L Tribute Strat (or s500, I think) is high quality and gives the tone you seek. MF has been alternately putting G&L Tributes up as SDOTD on a regular basis. Got my Ascari GTS & Bluesboy both for $299 each. Very high quality.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-10-2017, 07:01 PM

How's that Ascari, Roy - I've got a thing for 3-PU electrics when/if I can get them for a price (presently own a Yamaha SSC-500, Carlo Robelli '53 ES-5 knockoff, and Gretsch 5622T-CB, in addition to a Strat) and I've never owned one with three full-size humbuckers...
Old 02-11-2017, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Well right now the option of paying a couple hundred dollars is better than spending a couple thousand.

To some degree, I have an easy to play electric guitar with a front single coil pickup. There has to be some kind of gizmo that can get me closer to that Strat tone.
I have two MIM Strats. Black with maple finger board and candy apple red with rosewood finger board. Both are excellent guitars. Paid less than $300 for each (used). One from GC and one from a pawn shop. Both just required some clean up and minor setup. Both are like new guitars now. Sound, play, and look great. I hear you can get bad MIM Fenders. I just haven't seen one.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:47 AM

"How can I make my D28 sound like a L00?"

Sorry but a SG has a very distinctive sound, so does a strat. Split humbuckers simply don't get you an iconic strat sound. They can give a generic single coil tone, but people like John Mayer or SRV are hard to emulate.

That said, why not just let the SG be an SG and focus on phrasing, dynamics etc?

If you search youtube for David Gilmour covers, one of the very best emulation of the outro solo in "comfortably numb" is played by a teenager on an SG. She nails his phrasing so well that nobody cares what guitar she uses.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 02-11-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
How's that Ascari, Roy - I've got a thing for 3-PU electrics when/if I can get them for a price (presently own a Yamaha SSC-500, Carlo Robelli '53 ES-5 knockoff, and Gretsch 5622T-CB, in addition to a Strat) and I've never owned one with three full-size humbuckers...
Hi Steve, Mine is actually the 2 pickup model, not the HB3. The HB3 was the SDOTD literally, like 2-3 days ago for $379. My wife got the GTS for me as a Christmas gift (yup, my wife is THAT cool). I am still exploring the tonal options with it.

Of my 3 G&L's, the Bluesboy is my favorite (although the GTS is a close second). I find the build quality very high on all 3. The Ascari's ar short scale & the BB is long.

As a former Bluesharp player, I lean toward simple amps and have a strong preference for 2 pickup guitars - less to obsess and fiddle with.

The GT90 is the least versatile but is fantastic for Blues and when you roll off the volume, you can easily pull off funk and R&B. The bridge pickup has some twang, but not Tele twang - not a great fit for Jazz or Country. It's thing is bite and grind and it excels at that.

The Bluesboy can do just about everything: Jazz, Classic Rock, Blues, and has Country twang for day is the bridge PU. The middle position is very much like a Strat.

The GTS is versatile too, as it has a coil tapping. Warmth for jazz and no problem pulling off Angus Young either. The single coil tones are all quite usable too, but not as glassy as a Strat.

The GTS was $299 on sale as was the BB as SDOTD. I bought the GT90 used and mint for 250.

I have not played the HB3, but if the hardware and fit/finish are equal to the GTS I think you would be pleased with one, especially at $379. They seem to be running a lot of the G&L's on special nearly every week.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-11-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:

You don't need a $2000 Strat to get that sound. In fact I'd say a $200 Squier will get that sound better than your SG into any $200 pedal.

If you insist, however: parametric EQ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars