The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-05-2016, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedwin View Post
Ah, I didn't notice that its on an alternate tuning.

Anyway, what I'm trying to learn is a good editing technique (assuming I'm recording properly. I usually aim one NT5 mic around 14 fret, and another on the lower bout of the guitar, facing the bridge). The room I'm recording in is another different story, which I still have to learn.

When I listen to Tommy Emmanuel's recording, his guitar tone is very sweet, bass is meaty... Do you think if I add in a guitar pickup with the 2 microphones it will further enhance the sound?
Ok to start at the start, first (not trying to be nit picky just to help with clarity ) what you are actually talking about is mixing. While editing is something that can take place during the mixing process, technically editing is doing things with the waveform itself, like cutting, pasting, moving, and comping.

So in general good basic mixing technique is something that is a learning curve
There are some very general rules of thumb but which specific numbers or amounts vary depending on numerous criteria based on the specifics of your particular situation, guitar, mics ,preamps, room, desired sound, etc etc etc..

But in general rolling off the low end helps with clarity and generally from 60 Hz to 70 Hz down is a reasonable starting point. Also as someone stated there are often higher frequencies that can be problematic and would benefit from some slight cutting

Generally cutting with eq first before trying any boosting eq is a good practice.
Sometimes A high pass at 70hz and or maybe a slight cut somewhere between 500hz to 800hz will clean things up and could make boosting unnecessary or less necessary (smaller boost)

Generally when starting to learn to mix your ears are not trained enough to hear subtle FX's So A good idea for any FX is to start with only small db increments, try small increases until you hear the effect then back it off some.

Generally where many if most of us record in rooms that are not great "live" rooms to record in. Recording dry ( no FX) and fairly close to the guitar is a good start.

In general because we record dry and close, judicious use ( i.e. a little) of delay and or reverb can compliment, but As Ty said overuse (too much of good thing) will detract

Generally putting some EQ on the reverb track before the reverb itself, and cutting lows and highs will tend to clean up the sound (see the thread "Abby Road Reverb Trick" on this forum )

Generally most professional mix engineers (If their going to add FX) while they often add EQ and Compression to the actual audio tracks themselves, they most often will put delays or reverbs on separate FX tracks and send signal from the audio track to the FX track.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-05-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ok to start at the start, first (not trying to be nit picky just to help with clarity ) what you are actually talking about is mixing.
I addition to all Kev's good advice, it might be worth pointing out in that the examples you pointed to, the "before" tracks sound quite good. As others have suggested, the before tracks are perhaps even better than the mixes. The real secret to a good mix for solo acoustic guitar is to get a really good initial recording. Then the "mix" amounts to adjusting levels and maybe adding a little reverb. So, while you've gotten a lot of good advice about mixing here, I'd pay more attention to mic placement and room acoustics. That's both the important part, and the harder part, especially room acoustics for home recording.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ok to start at the start, first (not trying to be nit picky just to help with clarity ) what you are actually talking about is mixing. While editing is something that can take place during the mixing process, technically editing is doing things with the waveform itself, like cutting, pasting, moving, and comping.
Thank you so much Kev! Much appreciated and very helpful. Learn something new everyday, now I know the difference between editing and mixing. Will definitely refer to your tips in my next recording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I addition to all Kev's good advice, it might be worth pointing out in that the examples you pointed to, the "before" tracks sound quite good. As others have suggested, the before tracks are perhaps even better than the mixes. The real secret to a good mix for solo acoustic guitar is to get a really good initial recording. Then the "mix" amounts to adjusting levels and maybe adding a little reverb. So, while you've gotten a lot of good advice about mixing here, I'd pay more attention to mic placement and room acoustics. That's both the important part, and the harder part, especially room acoustics for home recording.
Thanks Doug! Any tips on where I could find good resources on room acoustics? I record mostly at home (carpet floors) and sometimes could get an access to a larger space in church. Somehow, a larger room sounded better than a smaller bedroom (lots of reflections from the wall).

How close the distance would you recommend the microphone from the guitar? Generally I placed it around 12 inches away, but would I get a more intimate and better sound by placing it closer, like 8-10 inches away?

Anyway, thanks again. You guys are so helpful!!!

Edwin

www.youtube.com/cedwin
Old 04-05-2016, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Doug! Any tips on where I could find good resources on room acoustics? I record mostly at home (carpet floors) and sometimes could get an access to a larger space in church. Somehow, a larger room sounded better than a smaller bedroom (lots of reflections from the wall).

How close the distance would you recommend the microphone from the guitar? Generally I placed it around 12 inches away, but would I get a more intimate and better sound by placing it closer, like 8-10 inches away
Here's a few articles from a quick google search:

http://ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html
http://ehomerecordingstudio.com/acoustic-treatment-101/
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr1...s/acguitar.htm

12 inches is fine, rather close, actually. Close micing can help reduce a bad room, but you get increased proximity effect, so it's a tradeoff.

But I just checked out your you tube channel, all sounds quite nice to me. I don't really see much you'd need to improve on your recording sound. You might get a little bigger bass by micing a bit closer, if you want. Some of the guys who play your style add in a pickup to get an exaggerated and more in-your-face bass sound, so that's another thing to try. But based on your video sound, I'd say you're in good shape already.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Oh wow thanks! I need to slow down and slowly understand your tips.

One thing I haven't used is the multiband compressor. Probably need to learn how to use that too.

I have a question: how do you EQ and pre-delay the reverb? Do you just add in the EQ after you add the reverb?

Thanks!
Most EQ plugins have a pre-delay setting. As far as EQ, just place an EQ before the reverb in your signal chain.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 04-05-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Here's a few articles from a quick google search:

http://ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html
http://ehomerecordingstudio.com/acoustic-treatment-101/
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr1...s/acguitar.htm

12 inches is fine, rather close, actually. Close micing can help reduce a bad room, but you get increased proximity effect, so it's a tradeoff.

But I just checked out your you tube channel, all sounds quite nice to me. I don't really see much you'd need to improve on your recording sound. You might get a little bigger bass by micing a bit closer, if you want. Some of the guys who play your style add in a pickup to get an exaggerated and more in-your-face bass sound, so that's another thing to try. But based on your video sound, I'd say you're in good shape already.
I'll check out the links as a start. I don't think I can do much renovation at the moment with a rented house but might just make adjustments to the room I'm in. Usually I record in my living room. I will work more on my mic techniques. I saw on you website your renovated studio, that's amazing! And the tone coming out of your recording is so clear and sweet.

Thanks for checking out my YouTube, I had a listen to my older videos and I actually liked the sound better than the newer ones. Didn't do much mixing before, just used Garageband with the automatic preset EQ, compression and reverb. I'll stick to the advice here to mix less and concentrate on the initial recording.

I'll try to mix in the EQ as suggested in this thread. Usually I have HPF on 100hz but probably that's too much. I'll try cutting from 70-80Hz next time and also a slight cut around 500-800 and see if I get a clearer sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
Most EQ plugins have a pre-delay setting. As far as EQ, just place an EQ before the reverb in your signal chain.
Yup thanks! One thing I haven't done before is EQing the reverb and placing them on bus. Usually I add everything in the track itself.

YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/cedwin
Old 04-05-2016, 10:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'll check out the links as a start. I don't think I can do much renovation at the moment with a rented house but might just make adjustments to the room I'm in.
Check out Fran Guidry's demo of the effect of 2 portable panels:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...adband-panels/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD