The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-19-2016, 09:21 PM
Charter Member

Bose L1C. Instead of a T1, I have been using a Fishman Loudbox Mini... run the guitar through a TC Helicon vocal harmonizer; guitar and mic into the Mini. Run an XLR cable to the Bose. The Mini gives me more EQ options, reverb and chorus.

Prior to that, I used a Peavey system: a 15 and horn in two cabinets, with the powered mixer. It was a beast to haul and overkill for a small situation. I wasn't sure the Bose would be enough - it does not get as loud as the Peavey. Turns out, it doesn't have to be as loud to give you great, balanced sound. No monitor necessary, and plenty of sound for groups up to 150 or so, without getting mushy.

I have a Roland Street Cube that I have used on a couple occasions when power isn't easily available (dock parties). I thought that was laughably small, but after getting the Bose, I got over the need to blast the sound out.

If I am not using the Mini, I can make it in with one trip with the Bose, guitar, mic stand, and gear bag. If I use the Mini, I take a folding roller cart - still one trip.

I started playing rock 'n roll in the 60s. Bigger equipment equated to better. It took me a few decades to get over that. The Bose works for me.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVB View Post
I usually play in a duet... So what are you guys hauling around solo?
A "duet" is a song sung by two people. A duo is two performers playing together, just FYI. 😎
I'm a long-time fan and user of the Fishman SA220 in a solo set-up. Just bought another one, in fact, to expand the system for larger outdoor venues and even wider coverage. To me, this unit is the best combination of quality gear, sound quality, the right features, super convenience and responsive service (not that I've needed it). Lots of threads on here that get into the details and pros and cons and all that.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-20-2016, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
The ZED12FX just gives me more flexibility... I have learned it never hurts to have an extra channel or two. Sometimes I do Open Mic's with my Soloamp and an 8 channel mixer ... I live in a very small town, but we have a handful of really top notch musicians... the Soloamp is more than satisfactory for the usual 30-60 people who show up. I would upgrade only if I was doing more larger gigs, which would mean more musicians/vocalists needing more inputs to the mix.
There's a reason that the SoloAmp is called a SOLOAmp. It was never intended to be used with lots of other stuff going into it, although it can work. But it's engineers for the solo guitarist vocalist and nothing more, as I understand. For that, it's a pretty great unit.

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-20-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Ok, I'm 55, still able to lift and carry. So, all last summer, 4 trips to and from car. So, you know the drill, load the car, drive to gig, unload, setup, breakdown, load car, drive home, unload car. Whew!

Daedalus SR823 speakers, gig rack with Pendulum SPS-1, Effects, Hafler amp, speaker stands, two mic stands, small folding table, stool, two guitars, guitar stand, bag,etc.

Needless to say, I lost alot of weight.
WAY too much gear, in my opinion. I just can't see hauling all that around and setting it all up and tearing it all down for the slight advantage the sound might have over my SA 220 or a Bose Compact, both of which set-up in about a minute. To each his or her own, of course, though!f

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-20-2016, 08:23 PM
Guest4562

Bose L1C fed by a small Behringer mixer. Have the older system as a back up and for larger venues.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:09 PM

I love these zombie threads.

These days, I run some version of the following:

Small jobs with just guitar and vocals: Baggs Venue + small Yamaha mixer mounted on a pedalboard into a powered speaker (either a 10" or a 12" depending on venue).

Small jobs with multiple instruments: submix all instruments on pedalboard into a slightly larger Yamaha mixer (also mounted on board) and into a powered speaker. Add speakers/monitors as needed.

Even in the largest configuration, it all comes in with two trips (instruments, then the whole rig on a Rock-n-Roller cart).

These days, most of my jobs where I carry a PA can be handled with a pedalboard/mixer and a single powered speaker.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
WAY too much gear, in my opinion. I just can't see hauling all that around and setting it all up and tearing it all down for the slight advantage the sound might have over my SA 220 or a Bose Compact, both of which set-up in about a minute. To each his or her own, of course, though!f
I suspect you have never actually used/heard/compared a Daedalus/Pendulum rig to a SA 220 or Bose Compact.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 02-20-2016 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:04 AM

I've compared Daedelus to the Carvin AG300 side by side. Almost equal. Ric
Old 02-21-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
I suspect you have never actually used/heard/compared a Daedalus/Pendulum rig to a SA 220 or Bose Compact.
You are correct, sir! But that doesn't change my mind at all; my SA has worked perfectly for me and the venues I play at for years. A tiny improvement in the sound quality (a) wouldn't matter to 95% of the audience, and (b) isn't worth the extra schlepping for a voice and a guitar. Everyone's mileage varies, of course.

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 02-21-2016, 01:44 PM

I use the Bose L1 S1 with B2 sub and the tonematch. Do not need anything else. A few months ago I came to this forum to see what others were using. From what I saw and my test runs, I went with the Bose. The Bose is highly used and recommended. I could not be happier with my decision.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

I've been using a Line 6 L2t for a couple of years. Great tone and features in a built-like-tank, 39-lb, compact package. I had a Bose L1 Model II with T1 ToneMatch and two B1 Bass Modules, and it was super-good but it was too much for what I do now.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-23-2016, 11:30 PM

Sorry, but here comes another windbag of a Bose endorsement from this solo singer/guitarist.
I used to hate Bose because I'm the technical sound engineering type who geeks out comparing gear specs.
But Bose is, like, "Oh, now don't worry your pretty little head with technical mumbo jumbo.
Just shut up, trust us, and pull out your VISA card."

I only gave it a try because there was a 30-day money back guarantee.
Honestly, I expected to return it because it seemed so overpriced.
Now you'd have to pry it out of my cold dead hands.

I suspect the way they keep feedback down compared to a convention system is only a small % of the speaker area is pointing at the mic.
Inside the 7 foot tower the speakers are pointing in many directions, left, right, up, & down.

Next it's magical how the volume does not blow away the front of the hall yet reaches the back.
It seems to defy physics' inverse-square law of how sound falls off with distance.
Again I think this is the result of few speakers pointing in the same direction.
No matter where you stand few speakers are pointing directly at you.
This means everyone everywhere gets a similar ratio of direct vs. reflected sound or maybe they've cleverly balanced that ratio to compensate for distance from the tower.

It comes in several configurations starting at $999, but I bought this fancy shmancy one.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FYsAaQodybAEZw

Stay alert for the 10% off promotions that Bose runs once or twice a year.
Also Sweetwater and GC have 24 month interest-free financing, on approved credit.
If you stay extra alert both SW and GC offer 36 month interest-free financing for short periods like holiday weekends.
I just grabbed the 10% off for the 24 month term.

Just don't miss one of those $119 monthly payments.
If you do that interest-free party ends and the interest rate skyrockets up to near 30% backdated to the beginning of the loan. IIRC
Of course that's how they make their money.

The Line Array tower comes in 3 configurations of speaker-quantity.
The entry-level system has 6 speakers at the very top ... the next has 12 speakers at the top, and finally 24 speakers reaching from the floor to top.
Then pick a bass module. The B1 has two 8" woofers and the B2 has two 10".

I just bought the full Monte to avoid having to upgrade later when I become rich and famous. Hahaha.
The T1 mixer is really really nice and flexible with all kinds of signal-processing stuff built in, para-EQ, compression, limiter, deesser, chorus, flanger, phaser, tremolo, reverb, delay, and more.
It's nice to not have to lug around effects pedals, fuss with dead batteries, and trip over many cables which short out right before a gig.

The sound is crystal clear, partially because I'm using incredibly transparent mics for both voice and acoustic guitar.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FQUMaQodU-IKmQ

I couldn't be happier.

Last edited by Tico; 02-24-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:20 PM

Why would you need the Venue DI with the SA220?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostpicker View Post
+1 on the Fishman SA200 solo amp. Best piece of equipment I ever bought. Throw in a LR Baggs Venue DI and you've got a really sweet sound. (The Fishman Aura Spectrum DI is also very nice)
Old 02-07-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Why would you need the Venue DI with the SA220?
Probably to get an extra guitar input: Guitar to Venue to SA200 line input.
Old 02-09-2019, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post

The sound is crystal clear, partially because I'm using incredibly transparent mics for both voice and acoustic guitar.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FQUMaQodU-IKmQ

I couldn't be happier.
You are mic'ing your acoustic guitar with this mic? No feedback issues? And are you using one for vocal also? Never seen this mic but I don't know anyone who gigs with a high dollar mic. Nothing wrong with it, but it better be dang good lol!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification