The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-29-2016, 10:23 AM

I've got a Mustang 1 (mark 1) and it's ok. Well it's ok if you think it's ok to need a computer to fully utilise the amp and the effects. If you could get a good condition second-hand one for half of the new price it would be a bargain.

I borrowed the Yamaha THR10 for a few days from a friend. The only problem with this quite expensive amp was the overall volume and especially the clean volume. It has 2 x 4 inch speakers and is nowhere near as loud as my Mustang with 20 watts and an 8 inch speaker.

I don't use the Mustang much these days as I prefer the amp models and effects that come with Login Pro X.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 04-29-2016, 12:23 PM

I went with a Mustang III v2 as my first ever amp. I couldn't be happier.

From one previous newbie to another... there is a problem with feature overload. Do not fool yourself into thinking that fiddling with the nobs is "practice". Keep your practice time reserved for playing guitar. Fiddle with the mustang settings instead when you would normally be goofing off (computer time, TV time, etc).

After about 2 years, I have gravitated almost 100% to the fender amp models. I like the British 60s (Vox AC), British Color (Orange), and British 80s (Marshall JCM 800) every once in a while, but I always go back to the Fender settings.

I'd recommend picking 1 amp model and stick with it a while, until you can intuitively spin the dial and recognize the sounds.

I have settled on the '57 Champ lately with a Tremolo for rock (I change the cab to 4x12M)
I use the Deluxe Reverb with a compressor for country. If I want a bluesy sound, I just turn off the compressor, change my picking technique, and use the neck pickup

And those are all the tones I need live. Very simple now, but it takes a while to find what you personally like.

The mustang is nice, whenever you have GAS, just try changing to a new amp model, or adding a different stomp box. It is a lot cheaper than going to the store.

Oh yah, and study how "real" amps work... the kind with tubes. Because the mustang models VERY well and you can learn how to change sounds by watching demos of tube amps and pedals.

Cheat sheet on the stomps:
Greenbox - tube screamer
Orangebox - Boss DS1
Blackbox - Pro Co Rat

I think everything else is almost intuitively named.

Last edited by Pualee; 04-29-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:42 PM

If you happen to have an iphone or iPad...peek into BiasFX and an interface like the Line6 Sonic Port. A world of nice amps to explore at your fingertips and pedals galore. Very affordable whether on-sale or not! JamUpPro is a great sister app by the same company.

It's amazing what the apps will replicate!

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 04-29-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJP5 View Post
I am picking up a looper pedal this weekend and have promised myself to not even LOOK at a pedal until after 3 months of playing around..
If you haven't already bought a looper and have a little more money, I'd suggest you look at the Trio Plus by Digitech. Essentially, as I understand it, it combines a looper (although I think the loop has a time limit of a little less than four minutes for each song part) along with some built-in effects and also provides drum and bass backing effects. So you play some chords and the Trio Plus does the looper function of playing the chords back but also then adds bass and drums or something like that. Just Google Trio Plus. However, I think the street price is about $300.

I have a very basic (and cheap) TCElectronics Ditto Looper. Very, very simple and works fine. It offers 24-bit audio. The loop is a maximum of five minutes per song part.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Thanks! I'll have to check that one out. Wasn't looking to spend that much but maybe I'll put this purchase off until I can scrounge up the extra $
Old 05-01-2016, 05:45 AM

I don't use pedals. (Never have). If the amp doesn't have it then I don't use it.

I use reverb, vibrato and delay (depends on the song and type of music) and that's one of the reasons why I really like the Fender Mustang with its inbuilt effects. (Okay .. so it doesn't have vibrato).

Playing through any one of my favorite Fender tube amps, I would miss having delay the most. (Given most Fender tube amps have inbuilt reverb and sometimes vibrato which is of less importance to me).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars