The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-28-2016, 03:49 AM

Default Budget condenser recommendations?

Hi all,

I'm in need of a replacement LDC to use for vocals in my home studio. I'd like to spend around £100, what would you good folks recommend?

Hear some footstomping acoustic blues at pistolpetewearn.co.uk!
Old 04-28-2016, 05:46 AM

Default Rode NT1

Great mic and under your budget.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=424067
Old 04-28-2016, 06:36 AM

AKG P220 @ $130, spend a bit more if you want the multi-pattern AKG for added versitility.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P220

AT2035 for about the same price:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AT2035
Old 04-28-2016, 02:10 PM

The Rode NT1 is pretty good, nice warm sound.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshadow View Post
The Rode NT1 is pretty good, nice warm sound.
Love the NT-1, great suggestion, but it's quite a bit over the 100 (pounds) that the OP wants to spend. (Unless used, that is...)
Old 04-29-2016, 03:34 AM

Thanks for the suggestions It appears the NT-1 is winning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Love the NT-1, great suggestion, but it's quite a bit over the 100 (pounds) that the OP wants to spend. (Unless used, that is...)
It seems like the AKGs you suggested are a bit more expensive in the UK - they are £120 & the NT1-A can be had for £129, so there's not a lot of difference.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete View Post
Thanks for the suggestions It appears the NT-1 is winning.

It seems like the AKGs you suggested are a bit more expensive in the UK - they are £120 & the NT1-A can be had for £129, so there's not a lot of difference.
The NT1 and NT1-A are said to be different sounding. I have an NT1 which is sounds OK for my voice. I've read mixed opinions on the NT1A from sounding good to being a mic that's shrill and harsh.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
The NT1 and NT1-A are said to be different sounding. I have an NT1 which is sounds OK for my voice. I've read mixed opinions on the NT1A from sounding good to being a mic that's shrill and harsh.
Ah, that makes sense - I had read a Sound On Sound review which described the NT1-A as an 'updated' NT1, which lead to my confusion.

After a bit more Googling I found this article which explains the difference rather well.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:06 AM

PistolPete, Thanks for the clarification on pricing. I'm not familiar with UK availability or pricing on mics.

To further complicate the Rode suggestion, DO be aware that Rode is once again marketing the NT1 (without the NT1-A designation) as a redesigned version of the NT1-A with supposedly superior specifications and a different body color Higher price, accordingly.

https://youtu.be/1boen-0iYrU

The NT1-A was originally a re-design and upgrade to the original NT1, and now the latest NT1 is a re-design and upgrade to the NT1-A. That ought to totally confuse a lot of folks, but there may be a lot of the original NT1 mics sold on the used market to folks who don't follow the subtleties of marketing, thinking they are purchasing the newest mic. It would have been a lot easier to just call it a NT1-B!

Last edited by Rudy4; 04-29-2016 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Well, actually the one I linked him to in the classifieds works out at around 85 pounds at current rates.
Old 05-02-2016, 04:03 AM

I own the NT1A, it's a really nice microphone.

You can find a positive Sound on Sound review of the NT1A from 2004 online. I agree with their review.

It's got a really warm, natural, full sound, is great for acoustic as well as vocals.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD