The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-09-2002, 11:53 AM

Default Sympathetic buzz from Dual Source Remote

As I didn't find this information anywhere else, I thought I would post it here.

Problem
On my TaylorStock 810-CE-LTD, I had a L.R. Baggs DualSource system installed. This system is fantastic sounding - probably the most natural I've heard yet (after I upgraded the condenser mic). The issue was a sympathetic buzz that I found was comming from the remote. When plugged in, I didn't seem to hear it, unless I had the mic turned way up (to max), but it really bothered me. I went to 4 Luthiers asking each what they thought it was, and NOT ONE was able to figure it out - granted they didn't spend much time on it (and I didn't pay any of them).

Cause
After about two weeks of taking it apart, and putting it together, I determined the buzzing was comming from two places. [list=1][*]The set screw on the back of the remote had way too much play in it (rattled on it's own, or when secure).[*]The LED Power indicator rattling against the top of the remote.[/list=1]

Solution[list=1][*]I used plumbers teflon tape on the set screw. Wrap the tape around the threads of the screw. Only takes once around - and besure you go the direction of the threads.[*]The led was a bit harder, the teflon tape looked like crap. I finally ended up using the insulation from some 12 ga speaker wire. I split the wire, then stripped off the insulation. I cut a small piece of insulation and slipped it over the LED about the distance from the socket to where the bottom of the remote would come. Then, when the remote was secured on the guitar, it pushed against the insulation and kept it from moving.[/list=1]

That's it! Now there will be at least one place where this issue is documented. If anybody knows other places, let me know, and I will send it over.

"And that's all I have to say about that" --Forest Gump
---------------------------------------
2003 Taylor Big Baby
TaylorsStock 810-CE-LTD
1980 Guild D46 BLD
2005 T5-S1 Honey Sunburst with maple top

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification