The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-22-2006, 04:05 PM

Default G&L USA vs Tribute

Apart from the Tribute line being an import and cheaper, what are the differences between the two lines? If my salesperson was correct, the Tribute line has the same electronics as the USA ones. He also claimed most of the hardware were the same too, which i find somewhat hard to believe given the price difference between the Tribute and USA lines.

I got to try both out the other day, but the store was kind of loud and i didnt have much time to really check out the nuiances of each guitar. But from my rather superficial time with the guitars, they seemed to be pretty similar in terms of feel and sound. So i was just wondering what accounted for the price difference and whether or not its worth the extra money for a USA compared to Tribute.

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)
Old 10-22-2006, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahn8 View Post
Apart from the Tribute line being an import and cheaper, what are the differences between the two lines? If my salesperson was correct, the Tribute line has the same electronics as the USA ones. He also claimed most of the hardware were the same too, which i find somewhat hard to believe given the price difference between the Tribute and USA lines.
Your salesperson is an idiot. The only thing real G&L's, and the Tributes share is the pickups. The newer ones do share bridges with the USA models according to the G&L website. The early ones had Korean made versions of the G&L bridges. Everything else is different. For the price of a new Tribute, you could buy a nice used American made G&L.

Sprinter
'63 Fender Jazzmaster
'72 Fender Telecaster Bass
'74 Fender Telecaster
Old 10-23-2006, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
Your salesperson is an idiot. The only thing real G&L's, and the Tributes share is the pickups. The newer ones do share bridges with the USA models according to the G&L website. The early ones had Korean made versions of the G&L bridges. Everything else is different. For the price of a new Tribute, you could buy a nice used American made G&L.

Sprinter
I concur. Unfortunately/fortunately (depending on which side of the sale you're on), G&L resale price is not quite as high as the Fender line because of name recognition. So since you're buying, this is great for you.

What piqued your interest in G&L?

At the G&L Tribute price point, only Godin guitars (same maker as Seagull acoustics) and a few in the PRS SE line are "better" from what I am told. I take that to mean that if you find the tone you like in any of the 3 brands, you're going to get a very solid instrument.

Overall, I would not hesitate to purchase a used US G&L vs. a Tribute, depending of course on the seller and their modifications/care of the guitar.

The Chain:
Crybaby 535Q Wah | Barber Tone Press | Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Custom Shop | Boss DD-6 | Ernie Ball Stereo Volume/Pan | Line 6 DL4 | Line 6 MM4 | Boss TU-2
(through George L. .225)

Old 10-23-2006, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AReed67 View Post
Overall, I would not hesitate to purchase a used US G&L vs. a Tribute, depending of course on the seller and their modifications/care of the guitar.
...or buy a used Tribute strat and a used Tribute tele...for me that was under $600 US plus shipping.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=441241
Old 10-23-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smorgdonkey View Post
...or buy a used Tribute strat and a used Tribute tele...for me that was under $600 US plus shipping.
hmm. . .

I haven't even received my S-500 yet and I've already got GAS for a Tele. You're mean, putting these ideas in my head.

The Chain:
Crybaby 535Q Wah | Barber Tone Press | Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Custom Shop | Boss DD-6 | Ernie Ball Stereo Volume/Pan | Line 6 DL4 | Line 6 MM4 | Boss TU-2
(through George L. .225)

Old 10-24-2006, 04:00 PM

I've been doing some electric stuff lately, and I wouldn't mind a used G&L with 2 buckers in trans black.

The body is important, but I still have to say the pickup is the most important thing. They are not expensive by any means, you mind as well get the real deal. Not that there is anythign wrong with the tribute, just that the price difference can't justify getting somthing of a slightly less quality.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:49 PM

Default G&L for sale

Hijacking the post to add that I have a new G&L Tribute ASAT Special for sale in the classified section.

http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthrea...hlight=Tribute
Old 10-25-2006, 12:00 AM

Whao, that thing must sound pretty great with the 2 p-90's, or at least I think that's what they are.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuoso View Post
Whao, that thing must sound pretty great with the 2 p-90's, or at least I think that's what they are.
Virtuoso: Noop. Those are the larger size G&L MFD (magnetic field design) pickups. Still sound great, but probably not what you're thinking of. Also, you said that the "pickup is the most important thing so you may as well get the real thing" -- the Tributes do come with the same American pickups and electronics.

SherriA: hopefully the sale of that purdy ASAT will get your son enough cash to get a nice Seagull

The Chain:
(through George L. .225)

Old 10-25-2006, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AReed67 View Post
SherriA: hopefully the sale of that purdy ASAT will get your son enough cash to get a nice Seagull
From your lips to God's ears...
Old 10-25-2006, 10:17 AM

Sorry I meant is as

1. pick up is most important.
2. you should get the US made cause the price diff is not much.

Separate thing, I must have confused everyone when I typed everyhting together lol solly.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Those pickups look like P-90's, but they are their own deal. They're closer to the Jazzmaster pickup in design, than a P-90. Also those pickups have a lot of output power.

Sprinter
'63 Fender Jazzmaster
'72 Fender Telecaster Bass
'74 Fender Telecaster
Old 10-26-2006, 12:03 AM

All that talk is making me want one.

OMG Sprinter, is that true? you have 19 G&L's. I relaly dont think 19 can be the year. hahah.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:47 AM

Quote:
I've been doing some electric stuff lately, and I wouldn't mind a used G&L with 2 buckers in trans black.
The Invader is what you seek then...something like mine only a different colour perhaps?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=441241
Old 10-26-2006, 12:08 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far! as for what piqued my interest, i've been leaning toward a strat sound and just heard somewhere (i think it might have been here) that G&L are great guitars.

I was curious about the Tribute because i was contemplating whether or not to get both a legacy and ASAT tribute or spend the money just get a USA Legacy

Taylor 614ce (walnut/englemann) "Kayla"
Gretsch Pro Jet (with Bigsby!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification