The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-03-2006, 06:37 PM

Default Ultrasound AG-30, Good or Bad?

I just bought the ULtrasound AG-30 Acoustic amp...I wasn looking for something pretty portable but sounding good and inexpensive..I haven't recieved it yet, but all the reviews I've read say give it a 9 or 10 with great sound....Does anyone own one?
Old 03-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarman
I just bought the ULtrasound AG-30 Acoustic amp...I wasn looking for something pretty portable but sounding good and inexpensive..I haven't recieved it yet, but all the reviews I've read say give it a 9 or 10 with great sound....Does anyone own one?
Hi guitarman...
I own two UltraSounds, including an AG-30, and they are great.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-03-2006, 06:45 PM

Yep, I've got one---two thumbs way up....

'93 LKSM 12

Gone:
'05 Avalon 101ce
'03 410r '91 815c '96 412M '00 614 '01 Big Baby '00 310KCE
'98 510ce
Old 03-03-2006, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Its just fine, for the price. It has a limited feature set and poor dispersion. On the other hand, it sounds good and handles a lot of different sources well (but not all). For $200, you can't get everything.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:47 PM

what's limited about the features and what is poor dispersion?
Old 03-03-2006, 09:18 PM

The AG30 has no effects and is only a single channel. Other than that I'm not sure what they're referring to. I have the AG50DS2 which is 50w and has two channels and 16 efx. I also have the DI Plus. I think they're both great. For the money, there's not much you can get that's better.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 03-03-2006, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarman
what's limited about the features and what is poor dispersion?
Nelson answered the first part of your question. Dispersion is basically how the amp spreads the sound out from the speaker(s), vertically and horizontally. If you stand directly in front of an Ultrasound amp (say 10 feet out in front), you hear all it produces, highs, lows and midrange. This sounds the best. However, if you stand more than 20 degrees or so off dead center, to the left or right, the tone changes - some of the frequencies are not being sent to your ear at the same strength as other frequencies. As you get further away from dead center, it gets worse. That's poor dispersion.

There are reasons why Ultrasound amps do this. Part is the design of the box to obtain more bass response. The amps use a baffle and set the speakers back a bit. That increases bass response, but the trade off is a fall off in dispersion. Plus the 8" speakers in most Ultrasound amps are coaxial - that design limits dispersion of high frequencies.

It's not the end of the world or anything.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:15 PM
minister of twang

for $200?

good.
l'twangage
Old 03-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson
The AG30 has no effects and is only a single channel. Other than that I'm not sure what they're referring to. I have the AG50DS2 which is 50w and has two channels and 16 efx. I also have the DI Plus. I think they're both great. For the money, there's not much you can get that's better.
Hi Nelson...
I have both an AG-30 and AG-50 as well, and I don't know what the post on limited dispersion is all about (I read the post explaining the statement). It is more of a feature than a limitation.

And there are no effects, which is a plus. At that price point, any effects which were included would likely be cheesy. I don't use effects on my acoustics when I play live.

The UltraSound, and the AER are both rather uni-directional which makes them great stage monitors. They don't leak into everything else. They are not intended as ''reach out and touch the audience'' speakers, though they do fine in small to medium coffee house environments.

The UltraSound are one of the most natural sounding of the amps I auditioned - very ''un-ampy'' sounding. I auditioned Shanendoah, Marshall, Fishman, UltraSound, Crate, Behringer, and AERs. I chose the UltraSound because they met my criteria of sounding natural, being affordable, and not weighing in at over 20 pounds.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 03-03-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Charter Member

Come on Larry, you know what dispersion is. And you seem to agree that the Ultrasound amps have limited dispersion. You make a good point that this means they make good monitors. As a main source, for an audience, that doesn't work as well. Two do just fine, on stands, or otherwise raised up. Like I said, the Ultrasound's dispersion performance is no big deal. Sorry to rain on the Ultrasound love fest.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray
Come on Larry, you know what dispersion is. And you seem to agree that the Ultrasound amps have limited dispersion. You make a good point that this means they make good monitors. As a main source, for an audience, that doesn't work as well. Two do just fine, on stands, or otherwise raised up. Like I said, the Ultrasound's dispersion performance is no big deal. Sorry to rain on the Ultrasound love fest.
Hi SDR...
I certainly do know what dispersion is, and as I said, Ultrasound is no more limited than the AER in this department. The AG-30 not intended as an audience unit for a large situation.

Actually few acoustic amps are. Possible exceptions would be the Bose PAS, Behringer, the Loudbox, and the Shenandoah and a couple other hight powered rigs. They also sport price tags in the $700-1200 price range and weigh in at 40-60 pounds.

I didn't think you were raining on anybody's parade.

The original post just asked if the $200 AG-30 is a good acoustic amp. It is.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 03-04-2006, 11:27 AM

The dispersion aspect is easily handled by lining out to the PA system in a larger venue. I find the AG 30 and very intimate amplifier with a very natural acoustic guitar sound. That's what I was searching for when I chose it. It's light,sounds good,records through the line out extremely well and being designed as an acoustic preamp specificly makes it easy to tweak for different guitars. In smaller places I've even used it with a small mixer for vocals as well as guitar. Their larger models have more bells and whistles and share the same sound quality but for my purposes where I need just a bit of amplification the AG30 does quite well.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:27 AM

Default I love my AG30!

I originally bought the Fender Acoustasonic 30DSP and I find that it is one of the good amp out there. Two channels with all the effects you can think of.
However, it was heavy to lug around and with all that buttons and knobs to which it will take time for me to figure out. I returned it and bought myself the AG30. The Fender was good but for my talent and purpose I thought the AG30 is far better to serve me at half the price.
One of my friend thought I made a mistake for trading it, but others say differently. I think you made the right choice and even if you didn't, I am sure you can sell it and there are a lot of people will be glad to take it off your hands. JMHO

1995 Taylor 412e - "Rosey"
2003 Alvarez MSD1 - "Alvie"
1991 RED Fender Stratocaster MIM - "Reddie"

--------------------------------------------
I was worried about my future until I read Matthew 6:34.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

You done good, kid.
Old 03-05-2006, 04:52 PM

thanks for all the input...I was just asking a simple question...I am basically just using it for my bedroom practice...playing with a couple other guys in a quiet practice room...I dont' need any effects on my amp..I have a danelectro chorus-trem Wasabi, and a Boss Flanger....good enough for me...I do need a reverb pedal though....other than that..it should be a good light acoustic amp, that sounds natural and easy to carry around.....looking forward to getting it on Tuesday....thanks
paul

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification