The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2004, 06:23 PM

Default Newbie - First Taylor...help with cleaning.

Hi Everyone!

I just purchased my first Taylor guitar and I love it. It's a 414-ce and I have trouble putting it down. My wife says that I am obsessed and I can't disagree. Anyways, I was looking for advice on how I should clean/polish the guitar. Is there something different I should do to take care of the guitar as it is I believe a satin finish? Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Taylorfied; 11-19-2004 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:32 PM

Taylorfied,
Congrats on the 414CE and welcome aboard. A 414CE was my introduction to the world of Taylor Guitars, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with yours.
As far as cleaning your guitar, I would recommend just wiping the back and sides (back of the neck and top, too, if you like) down with a damp cloth and drying it quickly with a lint-free cloth. I use Ken Smith polish about once or twice a year on my guitars (the gloss surface, not the satin finish). Dry wipe the guitar after playing, and she'll remain in good finish for years and years. Good luck!

610e, 914CE-L1, 354-CE LTD (Maple!), baby, Taylor Classic Electric Guitar, Vox AC30CC2, Fender J-Bass, Carvin AD100D, Takamine Classical, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX F tuba, Conn 2J CC tuba
Gone but not forgotten: 810e, AB-1, 414-CE, Epi Les Paul Custom Flametop, Miraphone 188
Old 11-19-2004, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesbrass
Taylorfied,
Congrats on the 414CE and welcome aboard. A 414CE was my introduction to the world of Taylor Guitars, and I'm sure you won't be disappointed with yours.
As far as cleaning your guitar, I would recommend just wiping the back and sides (back of the neck and top, too, if you like) down with a damp cloth and drying it quickly with a lint-free cloth. I use Ken Smith polish about once or twice a year on my guitars (the gloss surface, not the satin finish). Dry wipe the guitar after playing, and she'll remain in good finish for years and years. Good luck!
Just to make sure I know what I'm doing...the back and sides are satin finish and the front is gloss? Thanks!
Old 11-19-2004, 06:44 PM

Taylorfied,
Welcome to the best forum on the net! And congrats w/ the 414ce...what a great guitar if i can say so myself!!

Just an old t-shirt does just fine as a lint-free rag. The more its been laundered the better. Make sure theres no screen printing on it to scratch anything and you're set.

Just another thing you can do to make sure she's happy is to go to Home Depot and get a bottle of lemon oil. This is to be used for the ebony bridge and fingerboard to keep it from drying out. I do it about once or twice a year, so a $4 bottle should last you the lifetime of your guitar.

YEA 414's baby!!!

Taylor 414ce
Larrivee OM-03
Ibanez AW300CENT
Brian Moore i8
Custom Built Strat

My hope is in Jesus Christ.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:13 PM

Yes, on a 414CE, the back and sides are satin finish, and the top is gloss. I kind of like the satin finish back and sides, it's more "forgiving" in terms of minor scratches, etc. They show up like crazy on full gloss, but not noticable at all on satin.

610e, 914CE-L1, 354-CE LTD (Maple!), baby, Taylor Classic Electric Guitar, Vox AC30CC2, Fender J-Bass, Carvin AD100D, Takamine Classical, Cerveny CFB-653-5IMX F tuba, Conn 2J CC tuba
Gone but not forgotten: 810e, AB-1, 414-CE, Epi Les Paul Custom Flametop, Miraphone 188
Old 11-19-2004, 09:29 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

All you need to know;
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musi...leaning01.html

From Frank Fords "Frets.com" site. Frank owns Gryphon Stringed Instruments, is a moderator over at the AG Magazine "Luthiers Corner" forum and a guitar repairman of some renown. Go back to his "Main Index" page and bookmark it. Tons of usefull info.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 11-20-2004, 11:31 AM

Thank you all for the warm welcomes and the great advice. I see myself spending a great deal of time on this forum.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion