The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2004, 07:36 AM

Question Soft Top Finish?

The top on my 414CE seems to be less durable ( i.e. ding resistant) than any other that I've owned. Any one else notice this? Oh, and for the record (and those whose first instinct is to issue me a verbal guitar care spanking...) , I do take very good care of it and have only used it as a cricketbat twice...just kidding!

Goin' against the flow!
(Romans 12:2)
Old 11-20-2004, 10:59 AM

I don't think it's a problem with the finish, unless you consider a really thin finish to be a problem. The real issue is that spruce is fairly soft wood that will ding easily unless the finish is applied very heavily, but since a heavy finish will diminish sound quality, that's exactly what you don't want.

At any rate, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:24 PM

On the contrary, most guitar lovers would tell you that the only way to keep your instrument from getting dings is to keep it in its case and never play it - and of course, why would you want to do that? There's no reason to be careless with your guitar, but it is next to impossible to keep it in perfect condition, which means when you get a ding, don't worry about it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion