The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Business Casual

Default Heres Some Crazy Talent For Ya (Must See Vids!)

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/guitar.php

www.donalder.com/da.wmv

Wow eh?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:03 AM

If god had wanted drummers to play guitar he wouldn't have given them drums!
Old 10-07-2004, 05:32 AM

how do they do that?!?!?!
Old 10-07-2004, 06:04 AM

Well, they are very talented guitarists, but to me it seems they are craming a lot of unnessessary notes in order to be flashy and seem to loose the overall composition of the song in the process. I wouldn't be able to listen to it for long. There are a ton of bass players that have been doing that style for many years. Now it seems people are doing it on guitar. It sounds good, but a little goes a long way.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:09 AM

Amazing, I almost blew up over a few of those reply comments....

That's definitely some neat stuff....and HECK YEAH it's flashy!, that's the point. These guys aren't writing operas...there injecting some high octane into their guitar playing. I wouldn't imagine they play like that all the time...

Heck I've seen Jeffrey tear some stuff up like that...it's a blast to watch, and someday I hope I can do that kinda stuff.
Les Paul Studio
Gibson J-45
Gibson Custom Shop Koa Songwriter
http://www.wadekilgore.com
http://www.myspace.com/wyndkreek
Old 10-07-2004, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousTronic
Well, they are very talented guitarists, but to me it seems they are craming a lot of unnessessary notes in order to be flashy....
And what notes would you have them remove?
The miserable faces of the lonely people walking by
Thousands, millions, lonely people
And I realize I should move

Corky and the Juice Pigs
Old 10-07-2004, 06:55 AM

WOW that is crazy! Although the open lowered minor 9 tuning helps this style.....That and a lot of practice
Old 10-07-2004, 07:22 AM

Very nice!!
Old 10-07-2004, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squintbro
And what notes would you have them remove?
LOL... Very cute... Seriously though, sometimes the notes you don't play can be as important as the ones you do.

In the past week, I have seen Kaki King, Micheal Kelsey, and these guys all doing the funk bass player/guitar tapping percussive thingy, and it's ground Michael Hedges already paved, and paved VERY WELL... It reminds me of when Yngwie Malmsteen broke onto the scene, and everyone wanted to learn how to do rapid arpeggiated guitar solos because it was "the next big thing", and they locked themselves in their bedrooms for weeks trying to become the most technical and lightning fast guitarists around, and right after they all started to sound the same, rock music seemed to stop incorporating guitar solos altogether... Yawn... Next.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:43 AM

With the Justin King vid, been watching bass players do that for years and years. It's impressive, for sure, but nothing new. Takes a lot of technique to translate it to the lighter and tighter spaced strings of a guitar, but nothing extraordinary. Two minutes of it was enough the first time I saw it, and even then half of it's just filled with flailing right hand over simple chord changes moving up the neck. Definitely doesn't make me want to give up playing, just watching.

The second was more interesting. Reminiscent of Keaggy and Hedges, which I like. Could live without the over the neck flashiness and the black shirt, but otherwise I could probably sit through a set without getting too bored. Hadn't seen that one before either, which probably helps.

If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be heard. - Proverbs 21:13

Last edited by Jake; 10-07-2004 at 07:49 AM.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by For Him
how do they do that?!?!?!

if you can get videos to play on your computer go to

www.rootwitch.com

dig around and you'll find some free lessons/tutorials/whatever on that slappy-tappy style....
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 10-07-2004, 11:50 AM

I think this type of stuff is very cool . . . in moderate doses, of course. There's no denying that it's a great way to establish a groove a solo acoustic guitar, and the better players in this style are able to incorporate a melody to go along with the rhythm. If there's too much "groove," and not enough melody, it tends to lose me after a few songs.

Michael Hedges did some of this kind of thing, but usually used it more sparingly, and his pieces usually feel more like compositions than grooves.

Don Alder--the guy in the second clip--is a very nice, down-to-earth guy. I got to hear a bunch of the songs that'll be on an upcoming album from him, and they're fantastic. Definitely a guy you'll be hearing more about . . .

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 10-07-2004, 11:54 AM

Said it before, but check out Vicki Genfan. She has the Hedges style down pat, but also very melodic--and a great voice and lyrics to boot. (Last month's Acoustic Guitar had an article about her going on tour in Europe with the author of the article).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 10-07-2004, 02:45 PM

The Justin King tune has been tabbed quite nicely by a very dedicated Korean guy:
http://home.megapass.co.kr/~j0817/mo...ivee_mov_1.gif
http://home.megapass.co.kr/~j0817/mo...ivee_mov_2.gif

I really enjoy this style of playing, but get into Preston Reed tunes a lot more, because of the rythmic feel (www.prestonreed.com). Go to cdbaby, and listen to some of the metal CD. Most of the tunes on that are available for purchase from Reed's homepage, and there's a homespun tapes video that's very nice.

The tab for sale on the home page is extremely well done, and well worth the money. The three songs I most enjoyed learning (and enjoy playing) are Blasting Cap, Ladies Night, and Border Towns, but that's mainly down to taste.

Regards,

Damien
Old 10-07-2004, 02:59 PM

I think it's more fun to watch than it is to listen to. Not my cup of tea, although I was impressed. I put that in the category of guitar acrobatics. BTW, I've seen that video before at the Larrivee web site.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion