The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2013, 03:26 PM

Default Best Guitar Shop in ABQ

I bought a Taylor 314ce yesterday from a small, local guitar shop and I wanted to post the following simply because I think it is well deserved

If you're ever in Albuquerque NM be sure to stop in at GuitarVista. Stan is the proprietor and you're guaranteed a warm welcome. I never felt pressured in any way; he clearly has this business because he loves guitars/amps and people (not necessarily in that order). I mentioned I love to smell acoustic guitar sound holes and he broke out a $5k vintage acoustic that had an aroma unlike any other I had ever sniffed ... spicy supreme goodness.

Once you talk with him you will soon realize he will pleasantly back anything he sells. It's the difference that's found between one who wants too (but doesn't have too) and one who has too (but doesn't really want too).

Highly recommended; the ambiance in the shop is rather home-like and it's located near upscale Nob Hill, University of NM and one block south of famous Route 66. Lot's of open air type restaurants in the area with some featuring full bands playing during the warmer months.

On his website it says "Our Philosophy: Life is too short to play a sub-par guitar."

and

"Few people have seen and played as many fine guitars as Stan, and that experience has molded him into one of the most knowledgeable purveyors in the country. People who stop into GuitarVista have full access to Stan’s expertise, as well as a genuine instrument fan to talk shop with."

For anyone wishing to visit >>> http://guitarvistanm.com/

Last edited by tomana; 04-21-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:23 PM

What sorts of guitars do they carry new? Much vintage stuff? I notice on the website there are no prices listed?

Last edited by duluthdan; 04-21-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:37 PM

I lived in Albuquerque for a few years and always loved stopping into GuitarVista too. The first time I went in the owner had a big group of musicians in jamming and he let me pick any and all guitars I wanted to take into the back room to try out. The little shop was always covered in beautiful boutique acoustics, I miss it quite a bit actually.

Bourgeois L-DBO All Mahogany
Huss and Dalton TD-M Adi
Mule Brass Tricone

"If you dig it, do it. If you really dig it, do it twice” -Jim Croce
Old 04-21-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duluthdan View Post
What sorts of guitars do they carry new? Much vintage stuff? I notice on the website there are no prices listed?
with regards to new stuff ...

Old 04-21-2013, 05:01 PM

Stan's a great guy . I mentioned him here just yesterday .
Old 04-21-2013, 05:24 PM

Agree, Ive never even bought anything there, but he is always willing to let me sit and play anything I want without a second thought. This is one of the few stores that I have been to where the owner will simply pluck a wonderful guitar off the wall and let you play it without even having to ask. Great guy, very cool shop if not a little "cozy."

He does carry lots of vintage stuff, some santa cruz, bourgeois, and other such instruments.
2012 Larrivee Forum V RS-4 #3 (5-4-3...)
2006 Larrivee OMV-10 SE
1953 Martin D-18
Old 04-21-2013, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

No doubt Stan's shop is a great find. My sister lives in Albuquerque and the last time I visited there my nephew took me to Guitar Vista. Stan is a very knowledgable guy and has a very unique and cool shop. As someone else stated...it's kinda "cozy" in there. Stan reps some high end guitars but maybe more interesting is the vintage pieces he has. He's a sweetheart of a guy and will gladly offer you any guitar in his shop to try. The pressure to purchase there is nonexistent. It's obvious from the two hours I spent with him that he truly loves what he does. We should all be that fortunate...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion