The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-19-2012, 07:22 AM

Default Stanford psd20 vs psd28

Hi,

I've been looking into these guitars for a while and would like to know the opinion of people who have played both.
Is there a noticeable difference soundwise between the two models?

Thanks in advance,
Dimiter
Old 01-19-2012, 08:13 AM

Hi

you will ge tvarying answers to this question.However, I am pretty sure that there is some extra scalloping on the 28. Most pople report a bassier sound. If you search the web you can find the old web pages of Gypsy Jazz the former US distributor for these. They attribute different sound characteristsics to them. I seem to hear this too - but I prefer the 20!
All the best

Pete
Old 01-19-2012, 08:50 AM

Although the PSD 20 I played sounded very much like my PSD 28, I think the 28 has a little richer and fuller sound. I would be just as pleased to have a PSD 20, though, as they are both unbelievably good guitars.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:19 PM

My main experience is of the OM models and like Pete I personally prefer the 20 to the 28 - to my ears it has a more "open" tone, whereas the 28 sounded a bit "pinched" in the midrange.

I have played the PSD20 and 28 in shops, though, and I think they're both very good. Again, to my ears the 28 had a more assertive midrange voice.

Paul
Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 AM

My experience has been that the PSD28 has a bassier/boomier tone and a little looser (perhaps too loose at times) sounding than my PSD20. However, my 20 is better balanced. The 28 is equally great sounding, but the 20 is better for recording and has a tighter, better balanced bass.

They both have the same scalloped top bracing and are NOT forward-shifted braced ike Martin's vintage series guitars are. They are scalloped more like the HD-28's are.

Jeff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion