The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-11-2012, 12:00 PM

Default The Blue Cockade

Here's our take on an English traditional song.."The Blue Cockade". One of those get bribed to join the army while drunk and then leave your true love sort of occasions...

Blue [or other colour] cockades were worn on clothing or hats [often ribbons] to show the allegiance of the wearer to a cause of some sort..

I understand they were similarly used in the US as tokens of of Southern support for secession preceding the civil war 1861/5 and also during the war of Independence.

Jane and I share the vocals , J plays Roland and mandolin with me on guitar and mandocello attempting a sort of counter melody.

http://www.box.com/s/63ggvid64pzkxxpdnp3s

Andrew and Jane
Old 03-11-2012, 05:25 PM

Love it, love it, love it! You two have a wonderful gift and I love hearing your music. Please keep them coming!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 03-11-2012, 05:50 PM

Great job! A very nice take on a traditional tune. I haven't been listening to traditional English music in a while...and this makes me want to. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:12 PM

Although, it takes me back a couple years ...great recording and performance.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 PM

Many thanks all the B's! This is one of our favourite "live " songs....always tricky to get that over on a recording...although from some of the rough edges I'm picking up on re listening you may get the idea!

Andrew
Old 03-13-2012, 12:30 PM

Very pretty! Mandocello sounds great in this (not sure what that is, must look it up). Goes with the keyboards, to give it that very light, crisp feeling (which your recordings always have - nice quality).

Lovely, all-round!

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 03-14-2012, 04:59 AM

Many thanks Shawlie...the mandocello was made for me by Gary Nava www.navaguitars.co.uk a few years back...he makes very nice "conventional" instruments too!

Andrew
Old 03-15-2012, 10:53 AM

Very nice looking - must be cool to play! Looks like the pairs are fairly far apart, how does it feel compared to a normal mandoline?

Hearing it makes me want to get my mandolie out again - cheap, second-hand, but for some songs it's just so nice.

"Yeah!" - Blind Boy Fuller
Old 03-16-2012, 02:41 AM

Thanks Shawlie....it has those love it or hate it looks! I find it much easier to play than a mandolin...more space on the fret board ...the only downside is that some of the stretches for some chord shapes are a bit longer. I tend to use it for traditional songs which seem to fit it's character well.

Andrew
Old 03-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Hi Andrew,

I've not really familiar with a lot of traditional English music, but I'd like to learn more. This is a beautiful piece - wonderful vocals, guitar, and mixing/recording. Love it. Thanks for sharing.

STeve
Old 03-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Charter Member

This is part of the reason I love this forum. So much interesting art on so many different levels, from so many different backrounds.
Andrew this was so well done, interesting and sounded beautiful. I love the sound and your playing. The mandicello pic is beautiful and it sounds like a blast to play. Thanks for the intro and backround to the song.

I am friends with a fella on the Avalon forum named John Young who goes by the "Greypicker" who hails from Derbyshire UK. He has a couple of CD'd he sent me of his music which is historical England kind of stuff. I think you might like him because plays this style and uses a bazouki, mandolin and his Avalon Eclipse. Just youtube his name The Greypicker and/or thegreypicker.com he has some great sounding music and he is quite the lyricist and musician.

Outstanding my friend

noledog
Old 03-18-2012, 11:01 AM

Thanks for listening Steve and ND...we're flattered that you enjoyed the recording. The welcome and constructive comments we've had on the AGF have been just great!

ND..will check out "Greypicker"..thanks for the heads up.

A and J
Old 03-18-2012, 12:11 PM

Now THAT is a cool song. I love those melancholy traditional songs. That is some beautiful playing and you both have beautiful vocals. You should put a link to some of your music in your signature. I'd love to hear more!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 03-19-2012, 02:54 AM
happiness

Absolutely beautiful, Andrew! The Show of Hands influence is clear, but you make it very much your own, and you both have really lovely voices.

The Nava 'cello looks and sounds great too! For those who aren't familiar with mandocellos, it may look similar to a mandolin, but the size is more like a large guitar. Gorgeous instrument!

Fliss
Old 03-19-2012, 08:33 AM

Hi Andrew . . . Wow, you and Jane sound wonderful together on this great traditional song. Thanks for sharing it with us!

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell