The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-20-2012, 01:02 PM

Default Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb (recommendations?)

Thinking of my next amp ... my particulars:

- Tube guy
- Simple; don't need effects or amp modeling (just reverb)
- Want good, clean tones
- Play Tele's & Strat's
- Need enough volume/power for small to medium venues

OK, so how would you rate the Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb for these criteria?

What other amps would you recommend?

Thanks.

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:09 PM

Perfect across the board. I love my Deluxe, though I think it requires a speaker change to really sing and a new output transformer to knock your socks off.
Seagull Entourage Rustic (I won it!)

PRS CE22
American Standard Stratocaster
Silverface 1978 Fender Champ
Fender Deluxe Reverb

Winner of the Virginia Guitar Festival

Feel free to call me Zach
Old 02-20-2012, 01:36 PM

If you don't need the extra power a Blues Jr is also an option. I have a Jr which is 15 watts and it has a spring reverb and sounds good to me. I also have a 5 watt Gibson which won't really get clean so it's not good for all styles of playing. I also have a 1959 Guild 20 watt which is similar to a deluxe but no reverb. It is great and with an added spring reverbn a fun amp to play through. I also have 40 watt Guytron (no reverb) and it does clean tones perfectly with no breakup on channel one, channel two is distorted and preety hot. The Guytrons are costly compared to Fenders so they may not be an option. Said all that to say I am happy with my 15 watt Jr. I gave my 69 Fender Deluxe to one of my kids and replaced it with the Jr.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:37 PM

In the category of a single-twelve amplifier for clean tones, the Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb would probably be my first choice.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:38 PM

The reverb channel of the reissue Deluxe Reverb can be VERY bright without the cap clipped. There are some nice mods out there to make both channels work with the vibrato and reverb so you can have a normal and bright channel work with both. The amp also benefits from a speaker change.

As for gigging it, how much clean headroom do you need?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:05 PM

I loved mine but kept my Princeton Reverb over it because it works when I play out of home, is better at home, and I like the tone a bit more. Both are great.

I see more DRRI than PRRI in the used market 'cause the Deluxe has been around longer so a Deluxe could be a relative bargain.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

I have used Pro Reverbs and 65 Twin Reverbs but the one that really stands out from the pack is the 65 Twin Reverb Custom 15. Our lead player has used mine the last few gigs and he would like to buy one. I also have a Cyber Twin SE but there is nothing like the 65 Twin Reverb Custom 15 for clean, pristine, dynamic and full tone. And, it can get loud.-- Darwin
Old 02-20-2012, 04:08 PM

Back in my rock and roll days, I used a Fender Deluxe Reverb for most of our gigs, no problem. It's perfect for small to medium sized rooms and halls. It's a bit loud to use as a practice amp at home though... especially if you live in an apartment.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:44 PM

Blues Junior tweed version is a very nice small amp. Easily portable, it should be fine in small to medium venues. Nice spring reverb. It sounds good at bedroom volumes. It will blow you out much above 3. Nice cleans, but really nice breakup when driven. Separate volume and master knobs let you keep it low and dirty.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 02-20-2012, 05:05 PM

I own a Blues Deluxe and I don't think it or the Blues Junior is a better choice than the '65 Deluxe Reverb for someone primarily interested in clean tones.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:51 PM

That Deluxe is a really nice amp with the classic mojo. I have a Rivera Clubster 45 which is along the same lines and the clean sound is very good with my Strat.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:42 PM

I like my DRRI so much that I'd trade my Mesa 5:50 express for another one and it's worth more.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 PM

That's a good amp.

If you have the $$, I'd highly recommend the Carr Rambler over the Fender.

But like I said....$$$.

Actually I said $$ but you get the picture.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Oh, I thought you were talking about a REAL 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb... now, THAT would be something!

I don't have a lot of experience with the re-issue; when I was looking to buy one, they had just come out with the re-issue. I played through one for a bit, but it sounded a little 'fizzy", to my ears, for some reason... the guy who owned the store said the tubes needed to be "played in" a bit, and I suppose there is some validity to that claim.

What I ended up buying was an early 70's Deluxe Reverb off of EBay... my ONLY EBay purchase to date! Got it for just about what the re-issue would've cost, including CA sales tax...

After I bought it (the seller really was not very knowledgeable about the amp), I remembered that the early-mid 70's was when Mesa Boogie came on the scene... and the DR was a "favorite" for guys to try to re-create that sound. I was scared to death that the amp I just bought had been "frenkenstein'd" in some way or the other...

Was very happy to find that NO ONE had ever been inside that amplifier! At least that's what my amp-tech/friend told me... mine even had (still has) "grey plate" tubes from that time period!

I love Deluxe's, and they are a bit heavy... I figure it's the price of playing poker, if you get my drift... lately, my favorite way to play it is to put the volume on 10 (dimed), the treble on 0 and then "dime" the bass control...

Something VERY interesting happens when you set the tone controls that way; the treble is NOT cut out, but the whole thing becomes very interactive and dynamic... and LOUD, of course, but the distortion cleans up a bit when I back off the volume on my ES-345... the setting was a tip from the Gear Page; someone put a thread from GE Smith saying ALL Fender amps should have the tone controls set that way!

The Fender DR is a wonderful amp; I read somewhere that it's the MOST recorded amplifier in the history of recorded music... but that quote was from 10-15 years ago, I think. Very versatile, and great tones, either clean or the way I have it!

Although CBS is infamous for changing designs of the old Fender amps, they pretty much left the Deluxe Reverb alone, until the late 70's... so, you may still be able to get an older one for a decent rate...

I think a "real"1965 DR would cost you upwards of $2k...

play on.......................................>

John
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-20-2012, 09:24 PM

There's a Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb, as well as a Deluxe Reverb RI, in the Raleigh/Durham CL that you might want to check out.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/2828140818.html

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/msg/2853206133.html

Hopefully, there should be some room for further negotiation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification