The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 PM

The Eastman's top is adirondack while the other Larrivee's is Spruce. Adirondack is supposed to have more of everything of spruce, louder, more bottom end etc.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:56 AM

I have owned the Larrivee OM-03RE and it indeed is a great guitar. It was my first OM. However, the Eastman E20 OM (solid Adirondack / solid Rosewood) is in another class altogether. I've played Bourgeois OM, Collings OM/PW, and Huss and Dalton OM (all the pre-war copies). I read all the positive reviews and took a chance without playing the guitar and bit the bullet. Purchased at Bernunzio Music (no affiliation). Oh my gosh- I'm glad I did!!

I installed a strap button in the underside of the heel and a Greven Tor-Tis OM pickguard from this shop (no affiliation) http://www.firstqualitymusic.com/p_G...ntage-50s.aspx It looks AMAZING!! Nice pickguard very similar to the Bourgeois.

Then I installed a LR Baggs Anthem SL and it is absolutely wonderful. I don't know if my guitar is an exception but it has more low-end than MANY dreadnoughts, and all Taylors except for the GS. I have owned many Taylors (410ce, 414ce, 414ce RW LTD, GA5), a Guild D40 (1970's) and a Martin OM-21 (also a great guitar but still not the Eastman). The low end on this guitar is definitely better than the Martin OM-21 and all Martin 000-28EC's I've played except 1. It was better than the Collings and H&D and slightly better than the Bourgeois. I've never had an Adi top and it lives up to its reputation completely. Loud yet still articulate - great for fingerstyle and strumming. I'm now a BIG fan of Adi tops - no wonder the early Martin's sound so good. The finish on the guitar is very nice with the herringbone purfling and backstrip. There are only a few extremely small finish imperfections (undistingishable unless your looking for them). Nothing at all to bother me and I'm pretty anal about that sort of thing. Of course there would be no imperfections on a Bourgeois, Collings, Huss & Dalton, etc.

The nut is 1 3/4 but the string spacing at the nut was slightly too narrow for my taste, so I had my Luthier put in a bone nut and recut the slots when he put in the Anthem. PERFECT!!!!

The tuners hold tune very well, ebony pins and bone saddle are very nice. My luthier adjusted the saddle a bit when installing the PU. The sustain is the best I've heard - truly awesome. I have it set up with Elixer Nanoweb lights.

I was looking to move to a Martin OM-28 or EC but leaning very heavily toward a Bourgeois or Huss & Dalton that I played at Gryphen Stringed Instruments (great shop that I have bought other guitars at). I took a chance based upon the reviews of the Eastman E20-OM. I now have what I believe is the best sounding guitar I have ever owned for the least amount of $ which was not my objective. Go figure.

One negative to mention is the case, its extremely tight - way too tight IMO. But I play mostly at home and leave it in my humidified room on a stand or wall. If you are going to gig, you might want to buy a better case. To be honest, I do have a problem with "headstock envy" and had my heart set on the Bourg or H& D but in this case my rational mind fortunately took over. After receiving the guitar and playing it, in less than 48 hours my mind gave up and said "there is no denying it - you just bought the best sounding guitar you've ever owned". Not that it matters but all my friends agree. My vote is absolutely the Eastman.

Last edited by jazzguy; 05-25-2011 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:51 PM

I played an E20OM today at Jackson's Music in Winston-Salem, NC.

Somebody needs to get that guitar.
Old 06-03-2011, 06:54 PM

just bought an omvo3e larrivee.it is by far the best guitar i've ever owned!and i've had lots.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:06 PM

Default If you haven't tried the Eastman e20om!

It really is unbelievable for the price. Crisp power. I think Larrivee makes a nice honest guitar, but the Eastman is better in every regard. More comparable to a Collings OM2A. I know, sounds like hype, but try it. No comercial interest, just a tip.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:34 PM

This is an easy decision.... I would buy an Eastman E series before buying any guitar in the sub 5,000 dollar range... strong words, I know... but to me they are that good... They are now pretty much the only new guitars I would even consider buying... crazy, but true... I love vintage Gibsons (pre 66') and new Eastman E's... go figure.... I have an E10D that is ridiculously great and recently played and E10P that was out of this world.... its coming home with me soon.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:54 PM

All the Larrivees I played sounded muffled. Eastman all the way.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 PM

I just had the opportunity to play a bunch of Eastman and Larrivee guitars over a period of several days. I have focused on these two makers as the best bang for the buck in the world of guitars (arguable, I know... my opinion). Both are outstanding guitars, though they are different.

For me, Eastman will be the better choice. I prefer them because they are lighter in weight, and typically use better looking and better smelling woods (smell is important to some people). When comparing apples to apples (say Mahog/Spruce Parlor guitars), the Eastman will always feel lighter in the hands than the Larrivee. If you like the feel of weight, choose Larrivee.

I could never choose on the basis of sound. Both are outstanding guitars, and though I know it drives many insane I have to say both Larrivee and Eastman make guitars every bit the equal of the Big Boys selling at 3x more money.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 07-28-2011, 01:26 PM

With no hesitation I highly recommend the Larrivee's. Many years, many guitars and I've bought 2 in a row 6 years apart. They are a family built guitar closer to a boutique than a production model. I do have to admit they send them needing a set up, but, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion