The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-21-2011, 07:59 PM
AGF Sponsor

My take is that it was neither ordered, nor delivered. I built a guitar for a pro musician when I was a young man when they had merely expressed appreciation. Further, I delivered it AND I was paid for it, but it didn't take me long to realize that the "customer" was as long on social skills as I was short on them, and it has become one of the most embarrassing retrospective moments in my life. At least no one wrote a book.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalnitram View Post
The whole thing was so unlike any other builder/client relationship or situation, but then, so are Clapton and Henderson. There was no order. There was no payment. "Order" is the wrong word to use in this context. Eric told Tim that he'd love to get one. So, Wayne got him one. I don't really see how it is a matter for debate.

In Fred's post above, he questions whether or not Eric wanted one. It sure sounded like he wanted one, to me.
The facts of Eric's conversation with Tim are available on a recording, which is on the You Tube link. I agree there is no room for debating what was said, or that Wayne built one for him.

The debate is about whether Eric thought that by saying, "Sure, I'd love to have one," in this conversation with Tim, who showed Eric a guitar and asked, "Would you like to have one like it?", he had commissioned a guitar to be built. Eric's actions later may shed some light on that question.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 02-21-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I think there are very few people who are unaware of Wayne Henderson's talents as a guitar player, as well as his luthieristic talents.
I was surprised when I saw Wayne perform about five feet away from my seat that what sounds like flatpicking is actually fingerstyle...

WAYNE HENDERSON’S GUITAR STYLE

Origins and Influences

Wayne Henderson uses a thumbpick and two fingerpicks to play the guitar
in a clean, driving, melodic style. Like most fingerstyle players, he can play in the
alternating-thumb style most popularly associated with Merle Travis and Chet
Atkins (in which the thumb bounces between bass strings to provide the bass
and rhythm, while the fingers play the melody). He also uses the thumbpick,
augmented with his right index finger, to play very strong rhythm guitar
accompaniment for singers and instrumentalists.

However, what really distinguishes Wayne from other fingerpickers is his
ability to play the melodies of fiddle, old-time, and popular tunes by alternately
striking down with his thumb and up with his index finger. Using this technique,
he can play bluegrass and old-time tunes in the style of flatpickers Clarence
White, Tony Rice, Dan Crary, Don Reno and others. While some players notable
for their flatpicking prowess, such as Doc Watson and Norman Blake, can put
down their flatpicks and also skillfully play fingerstyle tunes, Wayne is able to use
both styles within a single tune. And his using fingerpicks to play fiddle tunes
isn’t just a novelty—he does it well enough to have won the annual guitar contest
at the Old Fiddlers Convention in Galax, VA more than a dozen times. He has
also taken home the Best Overall Performer prize at Galax at least twice.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 PM

Didn't read the book, don't know or care if Eric Clapton has a Henderson, and I certainly do not see myself calling a builder for years begging for my guitar to be built.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:55 AM

I have 2 albums by Wayne:

"Made & Played" & Rugby Guitar". Both are fine examples of Henderson's ability as a player.

I also have the book - I have to say, I enjoyed it.

Sadly, I don't have a WH guitar, although I'm hoping to be in North Carolina in July. On the map, it doesn't look too far to Rugby, so maybe we'll take a trip up there & try to meet the man. Best take a pie, I think....

1978 Yamaha FG-340 fitted with Brass Pinz
2005 Seagull Coastline S12
2008 PRS SE Custom
2009 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Standard
2010 Fender FR-50 Resonator
Unidentified Parlour Guitar set up for slide
Old 04-22-2011, 10:17 PM

So the jury is still out on whether Clapton loved the guitar or not. Some say there's a TV show they've seen with Clapton playing the Henderson OM. You know, Clapton owns some spectacular acoustic guitars - a Pre WWII Martin OM-45 for example. I can sure see him playing some of his other treasures more often than a brand new Henderson. Especially since Clapton endorses Martin.

Now me? Shoot if I owned a Henderson that's probably all you'd ever hear see me playing or hear me bragging up. I did call Wayne a few years ago and did get on the list. With this darned NH Lymphoma coming back every year or so, I doubt I'll live long enough to ever get it though!

BTW, there's a video on Youtube (Wayne Henderson 1) where he talks about the celebrities he's built guitars for. He mentions Tommy Emmanuel and says that Tommy might be the best guitarist he's ever heard. High praise as Wayne is one of the best pickers on the planet his own bad self.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:36 PM

Love the book
Old 04-23-2011, 12:45 AM

I have spoken to Henderson and I found him to be as genuine a person as I think one is liable to find. He wears celebrity very lightly and seems to care little if anything at all for the trappings of fame. Being a stupendously good guitarist is only the start of his gifts, as he was already well known as a guitar repairman and luthier long before that book was written, and the long list for his guitars was already very long before the wider world sat down to read that book. It definitely enhanced his popularity though!

I don't think it particularly matters whether Clapton liked the guitar or not, as the guitar was made by Henderson for publicity in order to sell its twin for charity. That is admirable and one thing that the book shows clearly is how generous Henderson is in the way he sells his guitars for charity or makes one for a young kid in preference to any number of people who would be able to pay much more.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:29 AM

I watched several video's of Henderson guitars. Sure are brite sounding. He might have Taylor beat.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:21 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

The Henderson has never ended up on a Clapton Charity auction. So, either he likes it or its buried too deep in the pile. I'd love to photograph that collection!
I never made it through the book.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:13 AM

Our species' fixation with celebrity is powerful. Left alone to rule our thoughts, it doesn't do a person much good.

So, Mr. Clapton liked the guitar, said so, and Mr Henderson was pestered (very amiably, it appears) by Mr St John to make it for Mr Clapton. The result:

Mr St John writes a book to profit from the experience, Mr Henderson enjoys increased recognition from the book and makes yet another nice guitar, and Mr Clapton goes on being as he was, already profitable and quite well recognized.

The effect of celebrity unopposed by more measured thinking: One guy likes some wood and steel that another guy made into a guitar, so a third guy sets about helping to make it happen. Then thousands upon thousands of people unrelated to the events, other than by audience, think they know something about it, and much of that thought misses the point entirely.

It's a good story, these are good people, its a good guitar. But, it's not that big a deal to folks who put celebrity where it belongs in the mature mind.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadmania View Post
Our species' fixation with celebrity is powerful. Left alone to rule our thoughts, it doesn't do a person much good.

So, Mr. Clapton liked the guitar, said so, and Mr Henderson was pestered (very amiably, it appears) by Mr St John to make it for Mr Clapton. The result:

Mr St John writes a book to profit from the experience, Mr Henderson enjoys increased recognition from the book and makes yet another nice guitar, and Mr Clapton goes on being as he was, already profitable and quite well recognized.

The effect of celebrity unopposed by more measured thinking: One guy likes some wood and steel that another guy made into a guitar, so a third guy sets about helping to make it happen. Then thousands upon thousands of people unrelated to the events, other than by audience, think they know something about it, and much of that thought misses the point entirely.

It's a good story, these are good people, its a good guitar. But, it's not that big a deal to folks who put celebrity where it belongs in the mature mind.
IMO it's hard to tell how sincere Clapton was in saying he liked the guitar. How many of us have had someone hand us their "less than our idea" of a good guitar. Yet we politely told them we liked it.
It would seem to me that if Clapton wanted a Henderson guitar, HE would've asked to have it built.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
IMO it's hard to tell how sincere Clapton was in saying he liked the guitar. How many of us have had someone hand us their "less than our idea" of a good guitar. Yet we politely told them we liked it.
It would seem to me that if Clapton wanted a Henderson guitar, HE would've asked to have it built.
Other than caring about Eric and Wayne as people, who cares how much he likes it? There are lots and lots of guitars, and even more people. Henderson and Clapton are no more or less important than any, and certainly not worth discounting the value of our friends.

Eric and Wayne seem like fine guys. Let's be glad they are so very talented and willing to share with the world.... and with each other.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadmania View Post
Other than caring about Eric and Wayne as people, who cares how much he likes it? There are lots and lots of guitars, and even more people. Henderson and Clapton are no more or less important than any, and certainly not worth discounting the value of our friends.

Eric and Wayne seem like fine guys. Let's be glad they are so very talented and willing to share with the world.... and with each other.
I care. If Doc Watson or Tommy Emmanuel ordered a guitar from Wayne (which they did) I'd be curious to know how they liked it.

(Shoot, if the neighbor next door ordered one and got it last week I'd care - I'd be curious if he or she thought it lived up to their expectations. What the heck's wrong with that? Nothing.)

But if a respected virtuoso guitarist with GREAT TASTE in guitars, like Clapton, ordered one and loved it that'd be really nice to know. Especially since I'm somewhere on Wayne's list for one of his OM's myself.

GB
Old 04-23-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenbird View Post
I care. If Doc Watson or Tommy Emmanuel ordered a guitar from Wayne (which they did) I'd be curious to know how they liked it.

(Shoot, if the neighbor next door ordered one and got it last week I'd care - I'd be curious if he or she thought it lived up to their expectations. What the heck's wrong with that? Nothing.)

But if a respected virtuoso guitarist with GREAT TASTE in guitars, like Clapton, ordered one and loved it that'd be really nice to know. Especially since I'm somewhere on Wayne's list for one of his OM's myself.

GB
I hear you. It is a thrill to talk fine instruments with great players. For my part, I will be as thrilled to know about your experience as I have been to sit with some of my heroes and trade stories (and guitars) as friends. On the positive side of the whole deal, it can be fun. But, if given a choice between warming my soul via either the bright lights of stardom or a campfire with friends (however accomplished or famous they may be), you may call me Smoky.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion