The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2010, 08:29 AM

Congrats on narrowing your choices down to what I think are the two best options in this category and price range. Honestly, if I could only have one, it would be a difficult choice for me.

IMO... The Martin is a little darker and more vintage sounding. The OM/PW has a little more note seperation and clarity. The OM/PW is a little more responsive than the Martin. Finishing on the SC is better. Playability of the SC is slightly better. I also prefer Santa Cruz's V-style neck to Martin's "tree trunk." Both are good strummers and "all-arounders."

All that being said, if I was being shipped off to a desert island and could only have one of these two guitars, it would be the OM-28V because I am, first and foremost, a Martin guy. If, however, I already had a Martin in my stable that I liked, I would go for the OM/PW. Santa Cruz is knocking it out of the park with the guitars they are building right now.

Last edited by NewMartinFan; 11-27-2010 at 08:40 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:58 AM

Both are great guitars. The Santa Cruz may cost a bit more. I have compared
the mahogany versions of the OM/PW to the OM18GE - check out this link:

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforu...-OOO-18GE.html

The neck profiles are quite different (to me). The Santa Cruz is narrower up the neck by 1/8" which is noticeable. The bridge string spacing is wider on the Martin.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:47 AM

Santa Cruz all the way. Much lighter build, more responsive, better overtones. Less finish.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion