The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-24-2010, 09:40 AM

Default Santa Cruz OM/PW Vs Martin OM-28V

Hi,

I have 3k$ to get a great all-around OM rosewood (i really want a good stummer OM).

For the moment i have selected the SC OM/PW and the Martin OM-28V because of their good reputation and youtube videos (impossible for me to test this guitars where i live).

Can you give me advice from your experience with this two great models?

Wich one is best in strumming ?

Another OM proposition ?

Thanks

Sorry for my english, i'm French.

Last edited by matlamenace; 10-24-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:20 PM

Hi matlamenace:

Both of those guitars are fine guitars. Generally, I have found that I have consistently favored the smaller shop guitars (SCGC, Bourgeois, Collings) over the factory built. If you find a great Martin, however, no shame in that. If you buy used, you can save some decent money on a Martin. The smaller shop guitars (used) would likely cost you close to your budget.

If you look into Bourgeois', for your strumming needs I would recommend going the "Vintage" route as they have Adi tops and braces. I know SCGC offers something similar but I'm not quite as familiar with them as I am with others.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:25 PM

MP sent to you, Matlamenace.
Old 10-24-2010, 03:46 PM

You've settled on two great choices. If you can't play them and do the A- versus B exercise, I don't know how to decide. I sorta agree with TaylorKoaFan that the SC likely will be more consistent from guitar to guitar. But one thing I've learned is that the guitar that feels most comfortable to my arms and fretting hand is the one I'll want to play. That's tough to judge without some time on each instrument. Anyway...you can't go far wrong with either of those. Good luck!
Old 10-24-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matlamenace View Post
Hi,

I have 3k$ to get a great all-around OM rosewood (i really want a good stummer OM).

For the moment i have selected the SC OM/PW and the Martin OM-28V because of their good reputation and youtube videos (impossible for me to test this guitars where i live).

Can you give me advice from your experience with this two great models?

Wich one is best in strumming ?

Another OM proposition ?

Thanks

Sorry for my english, i'm French.
I have owned both and thought that both were fine guitars. I purchased the OM-28V with the idea of being a guitar reserved for fingerstyle so I did not use it for strumming much. I seem to recall it handled it ok.

IMHO, the OM/PW is a slightly better choice if you are looking for it to do many things well. If there is a guitar that can live up to the title "Swiss Army Knife" of guitars, the OM/PW gets my vote. In terms of full disclosure, I ended up getting rid of mine because I lost the taste for Rosewood and I play my Dreads almost exclusively. But it was a **** fine instrument and I'm not sure that one day I wouldn't go down that road again.
Gibson Jackson Browne Model 1
Gibson J-45 Studio
Taylor 714CE
Takamine Glenn Frey Signature
Old 10-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Hi Matlamenace,

I own a Santa Cruz OM/PW that I purchased in the last few months. I do not own a Martin OM-28V, but I have played one as well as an OM-28MM (Marquis Madagascar). I also own a Martin D-35 and a Martin 000-28VS. I also own many other guitars, including a Collings OM1A.

As others have noted, the SCGC OM/PW and the Martin OM-28V are excellent guitars. I play fingerstyle. For my playing style, I think my OM/PW sounds as good or better than any of the Martins I currently own or have played. Also, in terms of price, I believe it is more cost-effective.

Contact Tarpman (LA Guitar Sales) on the AGF for a good price on the OM/PW. This is where I got mine.

My OM/PW came with Elixir nano PB strings on it, which I didn't like at all; when I put Martin SP 80/20 bronze on it, it came to life. But that is for my playing style and tastes. You may find things different.

If I were buying for me, I would buy the OM/PW. I have been playing for more than 46 years and have a lot of experience with both electric and acoustic guitars, but as I mentioned, I play predominantly fingerstyle and that may give me a very different perspective from you.

From what I have experienced, the OM/PW has more bass than a Martin OM-28V. When I put on 80/20 bronze strings they added enough brightness to make a wonderful contrast between the bright treble and warm bass overtones. When I have strummed this guitar with a flat pick, it sounds very big, more like a dreadnought.

In the end, both of these guitars (OM/PW vs OM-28V) are very good guitars. You could flip a coin and either way, you will have an excellent guitar. Once you get the guitar, experiment with strings until you are happy and then forget about other guitars. Learn to get the most out of whatever you buy and don't look back. This chase for the perfect guitar can waste way too much time and money.

Best of luck to you,
Glenn
Old 10-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

I personally would go with the Santa Cruz, I like the OM-28 Marquis Martin but not the OM-28V as much but they are all good guitars. I love the PW series Santa Cruz stuff!!!!!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 10-24-2010, 05:21 PM

Default Santa Cruz OM/PW

SC all the way! Warm, punchy nice!
Old 10-24-2010, 06:35 PM

Santa Cruz, really nice guitar and beautifully made.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:27 PM

In the larger scheme of things I don't think you'll go wrong with either as they are both great guitars. I agonized over the same decision about 2 years ago (SCGC OM/PW or Martin 000-28EC) and ended up chosing the Santa Cruz. It has a kind of gritty low end attitude that I liked and the V profile of the neck was slightly less pronounced which made it more comfortable for me (to do things like thumb overs). I have to agree 100% with Glennwillow though that after some experimentation I also swapped the Elixirs for Martin strings. I love Elixirs on some other guitars but on the SCGC they just had to much "zjing" for me.
Ultimately you'll probably want to play each to really make an informed choice. Someone once told me that guitars are like wands in that the wand choses the wizard and not the other way around and my experience has born that out in my case. With the noted exception that my guitar playing would never be described as wizardry. When it comes to guitar chops I'm a muggle. Fortunately that doesn't seem to affect my enjoyment much!
Best of luck and as others have suggested, whatever you choose don't look back

Last edited by d7sharp9; 10-25-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:06 AM

Both fine guitars. Keep in mind the Martin will give you herringbone trim if that matters to you and also significantly more string spread at the bridge.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:24 AM

Both are fine guitars. I'd personally go with OMPW because: (1) more comfortable neck profile, (2) OMPW is a little bit more versatile. It sounds brighter than 28V, although OMPW is not a bright guitar, per se. 28V sounds very dark and smokey. IMO, the tonal difference makes OMPW a little bit more suitable across different styles.

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com
Old 11-26-2010, 05:23 PM

I have never played an OM that sounded full. All the OM's I played sounded boxy and trapped the sound, IMHO. Then one day I played the SC OM and everything changed. I'm a chord strummer and this is THE only small guitar that I've played that I've liked. Therefore, my vote...Santa Cruz OM/PW
Old 11-26-2010, 05:53 PM

Santa Cruz are consistently stellar while Martins are more often than not just really good. The SC's the way to go!
Old 11-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

...i've owned both....i prefer the Santa Cruz for several reasons...the neck...(Martin is too edgy for my tastes), the look...(love that SC logo), and the tone...(just more open and vintage sounding to my ears)....otoh...Martins hold their value a little better in most cases and a lot better in some...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion