The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2010, 04:50 PM

Default which fingers does chet atkins and tommy emanual use on their right hand?

Hi folks, i know both chet and tommy use thumb, index and middle finger, buttt do they use their ring finger? I find it's very uncomfortable to use the ring finger, because I use pinky anchor. besides I did't see they use their ring finger on their youtube videos. anyways, do they use their ring finger, whcih fingers do they use most of the time?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:21 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Bays-Complete-...der_0871669390

I'm not sure the above link will take you to the frame I looked at. You should see a photo of Mr. Atkins and annotations regarding the identification of the picking fingers.

I see that the above link goes to the general information page.

Click on "Search Inside..." and then on "First pages" to see the photo.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Last edited by bluesbassdad; 09-24-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Further direction...
Old 09-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 915366441 View Post
Hi folks, i know both chet and tommy use thumb, index and middle finger, buttt do they use their ring finger? I find it's very uncomfortable to use the ring finger, because I use pinky anchor. besides I did't see they use their ring finger on their youtube videos. anyways, do they use their ring finger, whcih fingers do they use most of the time?
I think TE does use his ring finger some but mostly when using a flat pick and adding finger style.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:24 PM

Most pickers, even those of the status of Chet and Tommy, use whatever number of fingers is needed. I suspect Chet could use all fingers, even though he likely concentrated on perhaps the two you mention for most of his technique. Same goes for Tommy. There are no rules carved in stone. You do what works for you. Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul & Mary fame is a splendid fingerpicker and uses primarily his thumb and index.

The Missouripicker's YouTube Channel
URL:http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMissouripicker

Gibson J100 Walnut, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Dove, Gibson J45TV, Gibson AJ RW, Gibson AJ Koa, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Gibson J15, Martin HD28, Alvarez MFA66SHB and many other guitars, banjos, mandolins, dobros, dulcimers, and strays.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

After hearing TE play a couple times, I just assumed he used all six -
Old 09-24-2010, 05:29 PM

someone asked the same question at tommy's workshop last time. he said he uses it when he needs to
Old 09-24-2010, 05:45 PM
Humanist

Most guitarists use the fingers that they train with.

Whichever fingers you practice development-work and repertoire with will be what you use.

You (the OP) are already expressing limitations with having chosen to play with an "anchor" technique.

I recommend losing the anchor, and practicing with at least three fingers and a thumb for your right hand work. You can certainly add the pinky if you need to...but again, it's the fingers you practice with that will become what you are comfortable for use while playing.

The more versatile *you* become, the better....and this will help define *your* playing, rather than as a comparison to what some others might use or recommend.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner

Last edited by Larry Pattis; 09-24-2010 at 05:51 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion