The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2010, 01:53 PM

Default Maybe another dumb question.

RE: Guitar stands. On my adjustable guitar stands, I've always set the neck rest low. Just above body. At recent Monty Montgomery concert, I noticed he set his high. Just under headstock. Which is correct? Or does it make a diff?
Old 07-13-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
RE: Guitar stands. On my adjustable guitar stands, I've always set the neck rest low. Just above body. At recent Monty Montgomery concert, I noticed he set his high. Just under headstock. Which is correct? Or does it make a diff?
Makes no difference, except when
(a) you have a stand that holds the guitar by the headstock, so if it's too low then the bottom of the guitar sits on the floor, or
(b) if the neck rest is just above the body then if the body is deep and the stand a bit shallow then the heel can rest against the vertical part of the stand.

But generally it makes no difference.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Thank You very much
Old 07-13-2010, 02:07 PM

Actually, it can make a difference because it affects the angle and balance of the instrument, and the more canted back the neck is in that sort of stand the more stable it generally is.

It depends where the center of gravity is on the instrument: on heavier instruments like solidbody electrics and banjos, you want that neck support set as low as you can get it. Set it up as high as it goes, and you're inviting that instrument to topple forwards, which it can do if accidently bumped from behind.

On an acoustic guitar it's less critical, since the weight of the instrument is distributed more evenly over its entire length. But it's still a good habit to get into to set the neck support as low as will fit.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion