The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-20-2010, 10:20 PM

The Larrivee's -05, and -09 series
Martin '11 D Mahogany (FSC) Golden Era type
Voyage-Air '10 VAOM-06
-the nylon string-
Goya (Levin) '58 G-30
Yamaha '72 G-170A (Japanese solid top)
Garcia '67 Model 3
-dulcimer-
'11 McSpadden
Old 04-20-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackcooper View Post
For some reason (pretty dumb I know), I always assume that guitars in the classified section are being sold because they're not up to scratch.

I really shouldn't be so narrow minded, but I would only sell something on if it wasn't good, so I always assume it's like that for everyone.

Thanks for your advice though, I will have a look.
Jack, in the last few months I sold 5 guitars. All were terrific, and not being "up to scratch" had nothing to do with my selling them. Part was a need to raise some cash, part was the desire to cut back to bare (and reasonable ) needs. Fact is, I had too many, and too much cash tied up in guitars.

So when you peruse those ads in the classifieds, keep in mind that there are a lot of reasons for people to sell some very good guitars, especially in this economy, and it can mean a very good deal for you.

Of the two makers you mention, the HD28 is the quintessential Martin, the J-45 the quintessential Gibson. That doesn't necessarily mean that those models are the best for those particular manufacturer's, but they are iconic, and both can be had for below your maximum amount.

That said, if I were in your shoes, and I were looking for a dread style guitar, I would look for a used J-45 TV. Sloped shouldered jumbo guitar goodness, and very suitable for what you describe. I'm not familiar with the prices of used Martin dreads, but I liked the Martin D-18A I got to check out recently. Very nice guitar, though a bit bass heavy for my taste, but that's just personal, and it may not have been typical of the model.

On the somewhat smaller body front, I just bought a used Santa Cruz OM/PW (rosewood b/s OM body with forward shifted pre-war Martin style bracing). It's an incredibly versatile guitar, and I highly recommend it. Good enough in fact that I rarely pick up the dread anymore. Used ones can be had for roughly 2/3 of your max. budget.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:01 PM

The used small shop guitar suggestion is good. Personally, I have a Goodall that I love (lots more than your price range new, but maybe in your price range used?). Another name to possibly add to your list (for used instruments) is Lowden (nice nice guitars).

But my first thought was a Martin. You can get a darn nice Martin new in that price range (some of the ones I've played in this price range have been better than most small shop guitars I have played, in my personal opinion), and used you could get into some even higher end Martins. These better quality Martins are simply stunningly nice instruments in some cases.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Charter Member

there is no best - just best for each player's preferences and needs.

if it were me with no restriction i'd go with a j-45 for a dread, an eastman AC822 for an om. used, a goodall gc if i could find one in that price range. acoustic electric? maybe an ovation al dimeola. small? i'd go with a blackbird rider or a blueridge br-341, which are both well below your price range but i really like how both guitars sound.

best overall for me would probably be the eastman if i couldn't find the goodall.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:13 PM

Hard to know what KIND of guitar you're looking for, but if I had $3000 toi spend, and I knew what I know now, I'd look at the following:

1. Gibson J-200
2. Gibson J-45 Custom Shop (don't bother with the standard)
3. Taylor GS (depends on your wood preference, but the GS8 is quite popular)
4. Used Goodall

I'm unabashedly under the Goodall spell right now, so I'd go with number 4, but it all depends on what you want. Although I think Goodall makes the most amazing guitars ever, they are only one style in the acoustic tone matrix.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:57 PM
happiness

Since the price quoted was in £ sterling first, would I be right in guessing you're in the UK? If so, by down south, perhaps you mean London and the South East region?

If that's the case, I recommend checking out Ivor Mairants in London as well as the shops in Denmark Street. Further afield, there's AGF sponsor The Acoustic Music Company (Tamco) in Brighton which is excellent and well worth a visit. They don't generally stock the mass-produced makes but focus on hand-made acoustics. Also in the same part of the world is Guitar Junction in Worthing.

I can also suggest some good shops to try "oop north" if that's more local for you!

Fliss
Old 04-21-2010, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
Since the price quoted was in £ sterling first, would I be right in guessing you're in the UK? If so, by down south, perhaps you mean London and the South East region?
Hi Fliss…
I was hoping someone from across the pond would chime in...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-21-2010, 02:35 PM

DING DONG !

There are some GREAT guitar shops oop north (there speaks a danged southerner who's made the North his home).

That budget's perfect. My Martin 000-28 and my D-28 were both less than your budget. For me, it had to be new (just a personal thing).
Old 04-21-2010, 03:09 PM

3k can get you 1 great guitar, 2 good guitars or 3 to 4 cheapo's. Let your ears and fingers decide.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion