The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-12-2023, 07:41 AM

Default OM-21 or CEO-7? Update Surprise NGD

After selling a couple of guitars I am down to two dreads: a very nice Augustino rosewood and a 2019 D-18 that I absolutely love. I had initially thought about picking up a J45, but, after playing several, realized that I much prefer the Martin-type tone.

I would love to get a smaller body guitar and I am currently thinking about either the Martin OM-21 or the CEO-7. None of the nearby stores have either model in stock so a hands-on comparison is currently impossible. I've watched a lot of videos of the two guitars but haven't been able to pick a favorite from that. I'm pretty much an at-home player these days and mostly play with a hybrid picking style--a bit of strumming, fingerpicking, and flatpicking.

If anyone has owned or played these models any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Update: Yesterday I discovered a guitar store not too far from me that I was unaware of. They had a new OM-21 in stock so I figured it was a great opportunity to get a hands-on tryout. It was very nice and after playing it for a while I asked about a herringbone-trimmed version that had been hanging next to it and was told it was not an OM, but a used 000-28 Clapton signature model. Assuming it was out of my price range, I thought I could at least see how I liked the neck since I believe it's similar to the neck on the CEO-7s.

Not only was it a great feeling neck, but it sounded and played like a dream and was in near-perfect condition. Rich, warm notes that almost bubbled out. Not only that, but they had it priced the same as the OM-21. It was the first time in my life that I found a guitar that just sang to me and had the wherewithal to buy it. I am head over heels happy with this guitar!

I really appreciate all the input provided here. This is a great forum. I don't post a lot, but I have learned so much here over the years. Here are some not-so-great pics:

Last edited by ricko; 04-14-2023 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-12-2023, 07:50 AM

I played a CEO-7 recently and wasn't impressed. Don't know if the guitar was a dud, my expectations were off, or it's just not my bag. It sounded like a Martin. I was expecting a little more dryness and zip through the midrange. It wasn't there. Also, OM-21 has a MLO neck which is my preferred Martin neck. CEO-7 has a Mod V which was okay and better than other V's for me
Old 04-12-2023, 08:09 AM

I played a CEO-7 a few weeks ago, and really liked it. My memory of it is a bit vague now, but it was vying with a D-18 as my favourite of the guitars I tried in one store. I think it's got a Martin-type sound which isn't disimilar to a D-18. It's definitely not like an LG-2 or other small-ish Gibson.

I don't get on with the MLO neck, so much prefer the V of the CEO-7.

Another store had an old D-18 GE which also had a V profile neck, wide nut and 2 5/16 string spacing. I loved that, but couldn't compare the two guitars side-by-side. When I went back to the CEO-7 it had sold.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

I owned a CEO-7 for a couple of years and really liked the playability--felt good in my hands. However, I was never that excited by the sound. I know a lot of people rave about this model (in fact, the guy I sold mine to loves it!), but I never bonded with it.
I own an OM-21 now, but it's a custom model and has an adi top, so it's not typical. It has a bigger and more direct sound than the CEO-7 I owned.
Don't know if this is helpful--keep in mind CEO-7 has mahogany back and sides, while the OM-21 is rosewood.
Good luck choosing!

"It could have been worse"
--Roy Book Binder
Old 04-12-2023, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

As much as I've like every CEO-7 I've tried, I'd choose the OM-21 every time. I like the little bit bigger size and the bigger sound that goes with it.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:26 AM

without hearing either? OM-21
Old 04-12-2023, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko View Post
...I would love to get a smaller body guitar and I am currently thinking about either the Martin OM-21 or the CEO-7....
I own a 2022 OM-21(Ambertone-see pic) and have played several CEO-7s. Both are fine guitars. The OM is "closer" to the dreads you already own (body size, scale and tone). OM is certainly smaller than a dread, but if you really want a "smaller" option in your herd to play, the 00 size & 24.9 scale of the CEO-7 will give you that. I think the qualifier is, if you're really hard-wired to the "dread sound" you may be be dissatisfied with the CEO; but if you're up for a change of pace of feel and tone the CEO is a great choice. IMHO it's a great sounding guitar, just different from a dread (or OM for that matter)...good luck, not a bad choice of options to have.
(PS: If I had only one guitar, I'd take the OM, but if I owned two dreads already I'd add the CEO.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7317.jpg (23.3 KB, 425 views)

Last edited by gmel555; 04-12-2023 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
As much as I've like every CEO-7 I've tried, I'd choose the OM-21 every time. I like the little bit bigger size and the bigger sound that goes with it.
What he said.
Old 04-12-2023, 10:11 AM

I have owned both, a 2005 om-21 and an early production CEO-7. Both sounded great but were very different. The -21 was lush and dignified with a distinct rosewood voice, the CEO-7 was a little more raucous with its mahogany/Adirondack voicing and also had production problems. In the end I wound up selling both and replacing them with a Waterloo WL-14 and a Larrivee 00-09 Custom and am now happy.

I also bought a 2018 0-18 to have the "Martin sound" around.
Old 04-12-2023, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

I really like my CEO-7. I'm a Gibson guy through and through so I've toyed with the idea of moving my CEO-7 for a higher end L-00 Gibson, but every time I compare the two, I just can't see a reason to let the CEO-7 go. I like it that much. The bass for such a small guitar is really impressive and focused.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 04-12-2023, 02:51 PM
Charter Member

I love my CEO-7 and almost always recommend them to anyone. However, based on what you've said in your original post, it sounds like a bit larger body like the OM-21 may be a better fit for you. As an alternative, have you considered a 000-18 or are you preferring the full scale of the OM?
Old 04-12-2023, 05:04 PM

Thanks so much for the input. I'm kind of leaning towards the OM21, but I love the look and size of the CEO. While I like the MLO neck, I'm not usually bothered by different profiles--I've played a 00028EC and thought it felt fine.
Old 04-12-2023, 06:19 PM

The OM-21 will be the more versatile instrument.

whm
Old 04-12-2023, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
without hearing either? OM-21

What he said.
Old 04-12-2023, 08:42 PM

I don't have either but isn't this pretty much a classic case of rosewood vs. mahogany?
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion